Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

3 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I honestly hate the world we live in, you can't have a different opinion without something calling you something.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but there are two genders, male or female, nothing else. Next.

what are you basing this on?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

If anyone was proposing that was the entire solution, then I'd agree. But they're not - and if they are they're wrong. There are a variety of methods needed to help combat racism - this is merely one.

What it might do is get people thinking that perhaps that this person wasn't such a great bloke as there's no longer a statue of him and get them looking more closely at exactly why, which could well have an impact on education towards racism. And education is the way that this progresses successfully, IMO.

And I'm still looking for an inverse of this - a concrete reason why it's a good idea to keep those statues up, if anyone is interested.

Statues add character and llok good in my opinion. They are reference points for City navigating. - there's a reason to keep them. 

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

And I'm still looking for an inverse of this - a concrete reason why it's a good idea to keep those statues up, if anyone is interested.

Where they gonna put the pokestops and gyms if all the monuments are toppled. :cry:

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I’ve been thinking about this today. The more you look at it statues of individuals responsible for the British Empire is not in keeping with modern day society. Removal of these statues would be an acceptance and accountability for the fact our country contribution to world wide ethnic assaults. Slavery should never be celebrated, we have this very British way of being overly jovial about such figures, when they’re rubbing shoulders with the likes of Hitler. It’s time we changed our tune, subtle memorials acting as a reminder of the tyranny the British Empire were responsible for is important, but statues of the individuals responsible is unacceptable. As someone mentioned yesterday, Berlin isn’t littered with statues of the Nazi party, so why should we litter our streets with figures equally as cruel.

When you strip Britain to its roots, there’s a lot to be ashamed about. But then again, the same could be said for all of Europe. Power was never attained by arranging tea parties. 

They did alright in Boston

6 minutes ago, Benguin said:

Statues add character and llok good in my opinion. They are reference points for City navigating. - there's a reason to keep them. 

There's better aesthetic and direction-related solutions IMO, but hey.

3 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Science.

Yeah, but people also say science "proves" we aren't contributing to climate change and that vaccines are dangerous in a widespread fashion - that doesn't make it so.

3 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

It's mad how someone so un-electable could be elected into the most powerful position in the world.

Well, the electoral college system, voter suppression and good sound-bites means that in this case the US got the leader a narrowish minority of it deserved. Evidently he tapped into sentiments that already existed there.

2 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I’ve been thinking about this today. The more you look at it statues of individuals responsible for the British Empire is not in keeping with modern day society. Removal of these statues would be an acceptance and accountability for the fact our country contribution to world wide ethnic assaults. Slavery should never be celebrated, we have this very British way of being overly jovial about such figures, when they’re rubbing shoulders with the likes of Hitler. It’s time we changed our tune, subtle memorials acting as a reminder of the tyranny the British Empire were responsible for is important, but statues of the individuals responsible is unacceptable. As someone mentioned yesterday, Berlin isn’t littered with statues of the Nazi party, so why should we litter our streets with figures equally as cruel.

When you strip Britain to its roots, there’s a lot to be ashamed about. But then again, the same could be said for all of Europe. Power was never attained by arranging tea parties. 

Maybe they should knock down the pyramids then, after all they were built using African slaves. Then we could get rid of Trafalgar square as it is a symbol of British power through the 18th and 19th centuries and Nelson was a defender of slavery. What about the Colosseum, built by 60000 Jewish slaves and were then fed to the lions and gladiators. Or how about we don't try to hide our history and leave the statues and memorials where they are and use them in an educational sense and then let people decide what that statue represents. In 2000 years time, when some archaeologist  drags that statue out of Bristol docks, they won't give a damn about whether he was a slaver or not, they'll be more interested in the history of it.

• Like 3

Knew it wouldn't be long until this sort of nonsense started happening. Tiny Timmy speaks and out they come. 

https://twitter.com/GMElement3/status/1269623778667003904

Initially I felt bad for judging a book my it's cover and automatically assuming that they were up to no good, startin' making trouble in the neighborhood, particularly as there were adamant defences to any claims that they were just their for a knees up with the lads. After all, gathering your friends for a noble cause of protecting a poignant monument dedicated to those who fought in the wars. Then I clicked the guy's profile and that guilt dispersed. 

https://twitter.com/GMElement3/status/1270092249129537536

I only discovered this tweet because I follow that Owynn Palmer Atkin chap for any mildly interesting Leicester City news and he'd liked it. Eurghh. 

Edited by David Guiza
  • Like 1

While people whine about a 100 year old statue, or a 60 year old sacred site being damaged in the UK

In Australia a mining company KNOWINGLY BLEW UP a site of staggering significance with 40,000+ years of history and importance. Just so they could dig out another few tonnes of iron ore.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-26/rio-tinto-blast-destroys-area-with-ancient-aboriginal-heritage/12286652

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Knew it wouldn't be long until this sort of nonsense started happening. Tiny Timmy speaks and out they come. 

https://twitter.com/GMElement3/status/1269623778667003904

Initially I felt bad for judging a book my it's cover and automatically assuming that they were up to no good, startin' making trouble in the neighborhood, particularly as there were adamant defences to any claims that they were just their for a knees up with the lads. After all, gathering your friends for a noble cause of protecting a poignant monument dedicated to those who fought in the wars. Then I clicked the guy's profile and that guilt dispersed. 

https://twitter.com/GMElement3/status/1270092249129537536

I only discovered this tweet because I follow that Owynn Palmer Atkin chap for any mildly interesting Leicester City news and he'd liked it. Eurghh. 

All because one fool tried to set alight a flag. 

Obviously not everyone will agree but the Britain at all costs attitude makes me feel a bit nauseous, as does any fierce nationalism.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Maybe they should knock down the pyramids then, after all they were built using African slaves. Then we could get rid of Trafalgar square as it is a symbol of British power through the 18th and 19th centuries and Nelson was a defender of slavery. What about the Colosseum, built by 60000 Jewish slaves and were then fed to the lions and gladiators. Or how about we don't try to hide our history and leave the statues and memorials where they are and use them in an educational sense and then let people decide what that statue represents. In 2000 years time, when some archaeologist  drags that statue out of Bristol docks, they won't give a damn about whether he was a slaver or not, they'll be more interested in the history of it.

The Pyramids were not built by slaves, they were built my peasants whose lands were flooded - so actually a positive project providing work during off season.

Edited by Jon the Hat
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

While people whine about a 100 year old statue, or a 60 year old sacred site being damaged in the UK

In Australia a mining company KNOWINGLY BLEW UP a site of staggering significance with 40,000+ years of history and importance. Just so they could dig out another few tonnes of iron ore.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-26/rio-tinto-blast-destroys-area-with-ancient-aboriginal-heritage/12286652

I saw this and thought "how is this not a bigger deal globally??"

Having reflected, I think in general tearing stuff down and defacing statues is clearly wrong.

However, this has raised issues that I'd never considered regarding what our country and other imperialist countries have been built upon. 

Being able to now analyse both sides of the argument I can now make informed decisions about things which are around me rather than being blind. I then have the freedom to make whatever decision I want about how I think and act. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that within a healthy, open minded society.

• Like 2

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

I saw this and thought "how is this not a bigger deal globally??"

It is mind boggling.

They (Rio Tinto) have since come out and apolgised, but fvck me... this is history unlike anywhere else in the world, older than most civilisations and they KNEW it was there, they knew its significance and they did not give a flying fvck.. because... $$$$

Our shit for brains government (Left in the state and right federally) have allowed this to go on for years and years.

• Sad 1

Just now, ozleicester said:

It is mind boggling.

They (Rio Tinto) have since come out and apolgised, but fvck me... this is history unlike anywhere else in the world, older than most civilisations and they KNEW it was there, they knew its significance and they did not give a flying fvck.. because... $$$$
Our shit for brains government (Left in the state and right federally) have allowed this to go on for years and years.

Mining is crazy powerful in WA that is for sue.

2 minutes ago, Lionator said:

All because one fool tried to set alight a flag. 

Obviously not everyone will agree but the Britain at all costs attitude makes me feel a bit nauseous, as does any fierce nationalism.

You do feel that certain people/groups are desperate for it all to 'kick off' so that they can get offended/irratated/have a scrap or whatever it may be. Ironically I find that it's often the ones who complain about 'snowflakes' whom need the stimulation of being angry/offended to thrive.

I just hope that if anything does 'kick off', as has been alluded to across social media, between the aforementioned folk and the protesters who are there for nothing more than agitation and violence then natural selection prevails and no innocent bystanders are caught up in it. 

• Like 1