Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester_Loyal

The Politics Thread 2020

18 minutes ago, Spiritwalker said:

This is brilliant, what did the Tories ever do for us? lolI’ll make a start.

1. Steal milk from school kids.

2. Decimate the manufacturing industry.

15 minutes ago, Buce said:

3. Demonised the sick and unemployed.

4. Only decided to feed poverty-stricken kids at Christmas because a footballer got involved. Ironically a few months after asking footballers to do more given how much they earn.

NOT LIKE THAT MARCUS FFS!

• Like 1

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/nov/11/group-linked-grenfell-foam-supplier-awarded-building-safety-contract

Huge misunderstanding here by the Guardian. Kingspan are the largest composite cladding supplier in the country, possibly Europe. They are one of the few companies what have the capabilities to test products to the new British Standard. You call them and they trace back the products used on buildings to assist if it’s cladding which is no longer compliant. 

It’s a bit like calling out Apple because one of their phones exploded because someone decided to keep it in permanent sunlight. The product directly Kingspan produce isn’t the problem, it’s the way the product was used. 

Also makes a point about the Commerical Crown contract and that it wasn’t open tender. That CC contract has already been tendered with the whole idea to avoid repeating, expensive, time consuming tender processes. It avoids the hard legalities associated. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

4. Only decided to feed poverty-stricken kids at Christmas because a footballer got involved. Ironically a few months after asking footballers to do more given how much they earn.

NOT LIKE THAT MARCUS FFS!

5. Sold off the Social Housing stock.

6. Waged an ideological crusade against the most vulnerable in society on the pretence of 'balancing the books'.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Be grand if Cummings does fvck off over this.

If he does f**k over this, what a total wally Boris comes out of it all after Bernard Castle. 

Shown Cummings all the loyalty and then he f**ks when he doesn’t get his own way 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Really not sure what else the people who voted for him expected. Admittedly he’s had a particularly hard time with COVID unexpectedly landing on his plate, but he was never a good candidate for a proper grown up job like PM.

It’s easy to forget but the options were not exactly strong at the time.

• Like 4

If there was an election tomorrow, the Red Wall would be rebuilt at the very least. There's every possibility the Tories would lose their majority altogether, with no DUP to prop them up this time. 

You can guarantee the 1922 Committee have done the same maths. Without Cummings et al, Johnson is gone by Easter. The problem is that a lot of the talented MPs who'd have replaced him are either gone or frozen out, so it could be a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire.

6 minutes ago, Bilo said:

If there was an election tomorrow, the Red Wall would be rebuilt at the very least. There's every possibility the Tories would lose their majority altogether, with no DUP to prop them up this time. 

What makes you so sure the Red Wall would be rebuilt out of interest? I don't live there or really follow polling that much, but I imagined those communities switched to Conservatives because they are more socially conservative and wanted Brexit delivered. I don't see how that's changed massively. 

1 hour ago, bovril said:

What makes you so sure the Red Wall would be rebuilt out of interest? I don't live there or really follow polling that much, but I imagined those communities switched to Conservatives because they are more socially conservative and wanted Brexit delivered. I don't see how that's changed massively. 

Opinium’s analysis has Labour outperforming their national swing in seats that they lost in the last 10 years.

VI is broadly useful but also largely irrelevant at this point in the election cycle, I think trust on the economy and best PM are more useful indicators for thinking ahead. Labour were 12 points ahead in 2012 but behind on both of those and actually Milliband never led Cameron. Much like VI polls, neither can establish a clear lead at the moment, Opinium and YouGov usually have Starmer ahead whereas R&W and Survation usually have Boris ahead.

It’s obviously pointless saying if an election was held tomorrow but I think Bilo is likely right. Your point comes into play over the longer term. We don’t know to what extent recent months will stick, but assuming Labour can’t just ride a competence wave and leave the Cons to hang themselves they’ll have to say something eventually and that’s when they risk the values fault lines re-emerging.

• Like 2