Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

8 hours ago, Izzy said:

Down in Plymouth for a week with the family and went for a meal tonight at a restaurant by the harbour.

It was absolutely heaving and they were turning people away. Tables laid out the same as normal and only inches between them.  Impossible to social distance and no one wearing a mask (including staff and chefs).

Just like a normal busy summer’s evening. 
I don’t get why you have to wear masks in shops etc but not in busy establishments like this. 
It’s the inconsistency of it all that confuses me really. 

How are you meant to eat your food with a mask on mate? 

1 hour ago, stix said:

How are you meant to eat your food with a mask on mate? 

Oh I agree, and that’s kinda my point.

You don’t have to wear a mask in a busy packed restaurant with people literally eating and breathing on top of each other, yet you do need to wear one in a spacious shopping centre where people are mainly keeping their distance from each another anyway.

It’s the inconsistency around where/when to wear masks that doesn’t make sense to me. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

You don’t have to wear a mask in a busy packed restaurant with people literally eating and breathing on top of each other, yet you do need to wear one in a spacious shopping centre where people are mainly keeping their distance from each another anyway.

It’s the inconsistency around where/when to wear masks that doesn’t make sense to me. 

Well people shouldn't be eating and breathing on top of each other should they. Every restaurant I've been to since all this kicked off has been spaced out very well. Cedars in Evington is using every other table, taking the chairs away from spacers so people don't sit there. If restaurants are breaking the guidelines, that's on them eh. 

I do believe some people have a natural immunity to the disease, for example 6 friends of my partner went to Spain on holiday way back before the national lockdown, all were tested, 3 came back with  the virus the other 3 didn’t.. 
Maybe instead of focusing on the 3 positive cases they should of looked at the 3 negative cases for any common denominator the 3 may share.

1 minute ago, Izzy said:

I’ve been working with quite a few restaurant companies to help make them ‘COVID-Safe’ (yeah, I know). 

We create a risk assessment, procedures for front of house and back of house staff, systems for physical distancing, one way routes, procedures for cutlery, disposable menus, staff PPE, kitchen distancing, menu design, single use condiments, uniform, temp checks,  sanitizer stations, daily staff welfare checks, staggering customer bookings and staff shift times, etc. 

Most of the chain restaurants have been excellent. Some of the independents have been pretty poor and sound like the one you were in. 

Local authorities may have the power to close them if they think they could cause an issue. The eat out scheme finishes on Monday, so I think people are waiting to see what happens after that. 

I’ve only been out a few times recently, but always checked that the restaurant has robust looking systems in place before I went in. 

Enjoy your hols, mate!  ☀️ 🏖 👙 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Milo said:

I’ve been working with quite a few restaurant companies to help make them ‘COVID-Safe’ (yeah, I know). 

We create a risk assessment, procedures for front of house and back of house staff, systems for physical distancing, one way routes, procedures for cutlery, disposable menus, staff PPE, kitchen distancing, menu design, single use condiments, uniform, temp checks,  sanitizer stations, daily staff welfare checks, staggering customer bookings and staff shift times, etc. 

Most of the chain restaurants have been excellent. Some of the independents have been pretty poor and sound like the one you were in. 

Local authorities may have the power to close them if they think they could cause an issue. The eat out scheme finishes on Monday, so I think people are waiting to see what happens after that. 

I’ve only been out a few times recently, but always checked that the restaurant has robust looking systems in place before I went in. 

Enjoy your hols, mate!  ☀️ 🏖 👙 

Thanks mate. 
This week (Monday night and last night) is probably the first time this year that we’ve eaten out as a family. What I expected to see is exactly the measures you’ve listed above. What I actually saw was a token gesture bottle of hand gel on a table as you walk in - and that was it .

Maybe the independent restaurants in Plymouths harbour area just don’t give a shit and they seemed more concerned about squeezing as many paying punters in as possible.

When we collected a Dominos pizza on Tuesday though, they had all the measures in place, so maybe the big brands/chains are doing it properly but others less so. 
Just all seems very inconsistent as I’ve said. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Innovindil said:

Well people shouldn't be eating and breathing on top of each other should they. Every restaurant I've been to since all this kicked off has been spaced out very well. Cedars in Evington is using every other table, taking the chairs away from spacers so people don't sit there. If restaurants are breaking the guidelines, that's on them eh. 

I’d say it‘s on the people eating there too. I’m not judging anyone for what they do, but if someone arrives at a restaurant and isn’t comfortable with the layout/distancing, it’s not too hard to walk away is it. 

Not particularly aimed at you by the way.

I know someone who works at the School Borough visited yesterday in Leicester.  

In his interview after he mentioned how teachers and kids aren't afraid of covid yet the school were asked not to mention it in any questions from teachers or kids 😂

I went out to eat in Melton with the kids last night and it was very well organised in Montero Lounge. Tables very well spaced, food and drinks ordered via app, sanitiser on entry, contact cards, staff wearing masks and wiping down tables after customers leave

Had steak and chips and a beer, kids had a meal each and a coke and it came to £20!

10 hours ago, z-layrex said:

We opened 8 extra ICU's at my hospital, putting 2 beds in bedapaces designed for 1. It was literal warfare and we came this close to collapsing.

Imagine how many will die if we just let it run riot next time and allow the critical care network to go under.

You will only hear and think what you want to however so I dont know why I'm bothering to reply.

The thing is that the internet has opened a vast echo-chamber to those who don't want to accept certain things.

I can find forums where people agree, and justify their position repeatedly, that the earth is flat. That vaccines cause autism. That COVID-19 doesn't have any real inherent risk. Folks want normality and in order to achieve that they are prepared to ignore all evidence. The most common line of thought is - get it out the way, it's just a bad flu, nightingale hospital wasn't used.

These people wildly ignore the fact that there are long-term repercussions, unknown in severity, and the severity at which the NHS began to creak. Willful ignorance in the face of danger is the soup-du-jour. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

The thing is that the internet has opened a vast echo-chamber to those who don't want to accept certain things.

I can find forums where people agree, and justify their position repeatedly, that the earth is flat. That vaccines cause autism. That COVID-19 doesn't have any real inherent risk. Folks want normality and in order to achieve that they are prepared to ignore all evidence. The most common line of thought is - get it out the way, it's just a bad flu, nightingale hospital wasn't used.

These people wildly ignore the fact that there are long-term repercussions, unknown in severity, and the severity at which the NHS began to creak. Willful ignorance in the face of danger is the soup-du-jour. 

It’s a very interesting debate, people’s personal views are so far apart, I think you do some a disservice though, the “world is flat” comment labels people with a differing view to yours as crackpots, which is very unfair.

There are people who wildly ignore the fact that there are long -term repercussions, unknown in severity for the economy, unemployment and all the mental health issues that brings.

One thing that I think we can agree on though is the fact that we and the rest of the world are in a mess, tentatively trying to move forward with no idea what the outcome will be.

12 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

It’s a very interesting debate, people’s personal views are so far apart, I think you do some a disservice though, the “world is flat” comment labels people with a differing view to yours as crackpots, which is very unfair.

There are people who wildly ignore the fact that there are long -term repercussions, unknown in severity for the economy, unemployment and all the mental health issues that brings.

One thing that I think we can agree on though is the fact that we and the rest of the world are in a mess, tentatively trying to move forward with no idea what the outcome will be.

Completely agree with the last line.

Perhaps I was doing it a disservice with comparing the current situation to the flat-earthers but I do see the same wilfull ignorance in both parties. The 'shut up and get on with it' crowd invariably ignore the long-term repercussions which are worrying. These repercussions are being outlined by medical professionals. The big concern is that these folk now appear to be ignored or dismissed out of hand entirely to appease a vocal majority.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

That's often the key part of it IMO - people wanting that tomorrow will be just like today. Or yesterday, depending on their worldview.

The problem is that such beliefs are wildly incompatible with long term evolutionary survival, which prizes adaptation and being able to change to fit a changed situation above all else. Which might be problematic if societal directions are set based on it.

On the subject of flat earthers.  I saw the most beautiful demonstration of the curvature of the earth this summer. I was on a boat going round selsy bill on a very clear day and in the distance on the horizon there were a number of things moving and disappearing oddly.  Eventually I figured out that it was a wind farm at sea and what I was looking  at was the  rotors appearing and  disappearing at the very top of their arc, the rest of it being hidden by the curvature of the earth.

2 hours ago, MPH said:

im a 45 year old male who works full time and i’m fairly active with my kids, ect... i caught Covid and it was the sickest i have ever been in my life..  i was either in bed or laying down for a month..they wanted to admit me hospital on several occasions but i refused as we had no one to look after the kids ( my son has disabilities and my wife also got Covid and was sick).  

If you don’t feel like you need to be protected that’s your prerogative, but you’re in no position  to make that decision for anyone else. 

This 

and you have no idea what long term issues have been left behind 

of course we can catch a virus at any time which can affect us in this way (or worse)  but they are not in wide circulation and so easily transmissible. 

it is foolhardy to just decide to allow this one to do its thing - a measured approach firmly on the side of caution continues to be the best policy 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Nick said:

UK has highest infection rate since mid June and France & Germany are going upward very quickly the wrong way - France recording 6,000 plus in a day to our 1500. Spain is going off the charts again comparatively.

This ‘back to school ‘ stuff is not a brilliant idea is it ? 

Right, so I had a fever on Wednesday, took a home malaria test and wasn't sure so took some meds anyway. Went to medical centre in the morning and if I breathed in sharply, I had a cough, bit of a sore throat, zero appetite, and a bit off balance with the high temperature.

Anyway, turns out I've got malaria, it's the P falciparum malaria, the one that kills you but easily treated if caught early, so no big deal, few tablets, injection maybe, bit of observation and your done. Only thing was I tested positive for covid too, doctor wasn't sure what to do.

I've ended up on an isolation ward, nurses in full hazmat suits!

Feel much better today, even with Malaria, this covid is not much to worry about. Bit anecdotal and appreciate everyone is different, I'm not overweight, don't smoke, and pretty avid weight trainer (when it's open), so I guess I'm in fairly good nick health wise.

I'm onshore looking to get a flight home so this has kind of put things back a bit, it's a bit inconvenient more than anything.

The thing is, I'm now going to have to isolate for two weeks or whatever, but I only go from camp to the office, so either people at camp have it or people at work. Must be rife, but largely unnoticed.

Seriously, if this is what we shut the economy down for, we've gone mad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, simFox said:

Right, so I had a fever on Wednesday, took a home malaria test and wasn't sure so took some meds anyway. Went to medical centre in the morning and if I breathed in sharply, I had a cough, bit of a sore throat, zero appetite, and a bit off balance with the high temperature.

Anyway, turns out I've got malaria, it's the P falciparum malaria, the one that kills you but easily treated if caught early, so no big deal, few tablets, injection maybe, bit of observation and your done. Only thing was I tested positive for covid too, doctor wasn't sure what to do.

I've ended up on an isolation ward, nurses in full hazmat suits!

Feel much better today, even with Malaria, this covid is not much to worry about. Bit anecdotal and appreciate everyone is different, I'm not overweight, don't smoke, and pretty avid weight trainer (when it's open), so I guess I'm in fairly good nick health wise.

I'm onshore looking to get a flight home so this has kind of put things back a bit, it's a bit inconvenient more than anything.

The thing is, I'm now going to have to isolate for two weeks or whatever, but I only go from camp to the office, so either people at camp have it or people at work. Must be rife, but largely unnoticed.

Seriously, if this is what we shut the economy down for, we've gone mad.

You're a ****ing lunatic arnt you. Get well soon.

• Haha 1

I had a meeting with a NHS trust last week - manager of their maintenance and repairs team. 

What a sobering 90 minutes that was. The challenges their team alone faced in trying to adapt to the situation. Some of the things mentioned:-

• Countless cold stores required in immediacy. 
  • Having to get in AC units to assist with the cooling of staff in PPE but at the same time be aware of the cross-contamination 
  • The conversion of wards into ICU - with a complete awareness that we realistically don't have enough nurses in this country to man them.