Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, Milo said:

I believe the thinking is primary school children pose a negligible risk of virus transmission, secondary school kids slightly higher and then 6th form and University students are categorised as an adult would be. 

Doesn’t take into account teachers and drop off/pick up procedures, but it looks like the direction is to keep schools open for younger kids and maybe go down the herd immunity route for the young adults. 🤷‍♂️ 

My 7 year old nephew was tested positive for Covid 19 two weeks ago (lives in Solihull). He had all the symptoms but has now recovered and is back to normal. His brother, my sister and my BIL all had to isolate at home with him for 2 weeks, but none of them caught it off him. 

Not sure what that proves apart from the inconvenience for all concerned. Both my kids have been back at secondary school for a month now and not one of the 1000 or so pupils there have caught it.

Maybe we're just in a 'lucky' area...

38 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Looks like Labour will oppose extending the 10pm rule if today's PMQs are anything to go by. There's still been no scientific basis presented for it and the longer it carries on, the greater the need there is for one to be made publicly available (if one does exist).

I've seen comments that they want to bring in rules for shops to stop serving alcohol after 9pm 'to stop post-pub parties'. As if alcohol can't be bought earlier or online... 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Loads of the measures have no scientific standing. The gaffer of the Blue Boar in the Mercury saying how stupid table service only is.  Instead of serving people from a metre away with a protective screen he is now in close contact with everyone in the pub and would soon spread anything he caught.  Just another pointless rule.

2 minutes ago, MonmoreStef said:

Loads of the measures have no scientific standing. The gaffer of the Blue Boar in the Mercury saying how stupid table service only is.  Instead of serving people from a metre away with a protective screen he is now in close contact with everyone in the pub and would soon spread anything he caught.  Just another pointless rule.

Are the staff not wearing screens or masks as well for table service? 

35 minutes ago, twoleftfeet said:

Really the truth is either you treat Cancer or covid in a hospital. its a difficult one prioritising one persons treatment over another's

But we, the taxpayer, have invested in a number of nightingale field hospitals in order to cater for covid patients.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MonmoreStef said:

And to make the rule even more stupid, it only applies to places that serve alcohol.  I was in a licensed cafe the other day where food and drinks are ordered from the bar.  If they continued to serve alcohol they would have had to take orders from the tables; but they have chosen to stop serving alcohol which means the system doesn't need to change.

48 minutes ago, MonmoreStef said:

Not really. 

If he was that bothered there are a number of options available to him. 

Larger tables can have a taped off section where drinks are dropped off and people on the table help themselves. 

Designated drop off tables can be placed between customer tables where drinks can be left. 

Service trolleys can be used and left at the table for people to help themselves from. 

Depends how arsed he can be to put a bit of effort in, really. 

If the option is no pubs open, or pubs open with table service, I know what I’d choose. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Milo said:

Not really. 

If he was that bothered there are a number of options available to him. 

Larger tables can have a taped off section where drinks are dropped off and people on the table help themselves. 

Designated drop off tables can be placed between customer tables where drinks can be left. 

Service trolleys can be used and left at the table for people to help themselves from. 

Depends how arsed he can be to put a bit of effort in, really. 

If the option is no pubs open, or pubs open with table service, I know what I’d choose. 

So basically he needs to make more allowance for a rule that has no scientific basis.  We will just keep accepting all these rules that make no sense then?  It’s not like he’s having an easy time as it is.  

Edited by MonmoreStef
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, MonmoreStef said:

So basically he needs to make more allowance for a rule that has no scientific basis.  We will just keep accepting all these rules that make no sense then?  It’s not like he’s having an easy time as it is.  

surely there is evidence that being 6 deep at the bar is not a good way to contain the spread of a virus

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MonmoreStef said:

They are not behind the big Perspex screens. They will have the flimsy masks on but the point is table service is not any safer in a well run pub. 

It reduces the number of people you come into contact with doesn't it? Table service means one server, at least it should, rather than any number of random bar staff possibly serving you from behind a bar. It also reduces contact with other customers also at the bar if you stay at the table and the server comes to you

Regarding the 10pm curfew, I understood the reasoning behind that to be that the more people drink, the harder they find it to follow social distancing. So it made sense to try it rather than close them completely, until people decided to just go out earlier, drink the same amount, and still find themselves at risk of not being able to social distance as effectively as they might without the alcohol consumption

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MonmoreStef said:

Give it a rest pal.  No pub was allowing 6 at the bar. 

well no they are not because it is table service otherwise it could be yes?

Every pub i have been in recently has been table service limiting the number of people walking around the pub, if it wasn't how could they control lets say 20 tables all wanting drinks at the same time without a queue forming at the bar?

2 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

well no they are not because it is table service otherwise it could be yes?

Every pub i have been in recently has been table service limiting the number of people walking around the pub, if it wasn't how could they control lets say 20 tables all wanting drinks at the same time without a queue forming at the bar?

Loads of pubs were bar service. Signs everywhere spreading people out and only allowing 2 or 3 people up at a time. 

5 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Poland and Ukraine have all reported record numbers of daily infections.

Czech health officials said there were 4,457 cases in the past 24 hours. The country has reported the highest number of new cases per 100,000 inhabitants (326.8) over the past 14 days in the EU, overtaking Spain.

Ukraine confirmed 4,753 new cases, including 219 infections in children, and 77 deaths.

Meanwhile in Poland, there were 3,003 new cases and 75 virus-related deaths. In comparison, the daily record for new cases in spring was 599. The number of deaths broke the previous record of 58 set yesterday.

In Bulgaria, there were 436 cases and eight deaths in the past 24 hours.

Gonna be a cluster**** of a winter ain't it. :nigel:

At the 'acceptance' stage of these being shit until about springtime next year.

Cranky's new measures in Scotland will do absolutely fvck all.

4 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Maybe pubs should have signs reminding people that alcohol can damage the immune system.

It can damage a lot of things but I doubt most of us who drink care.

Edited by Nalis