Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Talking to a friend of mine who's Dad runs a NHS trust down here. They have been told to make ready to roll out the vaccine on the 9th Dec but that depends on getting it all cleared in time. It's two stage so you get one and then 4 weeks later you go back for a top up. Trusts paid a fee per patient. 12 hours of vaccinations a day, with a target number that I've forgotten. Potential for the jabs to be administered by non clinical staff as long as they're supervised by clinical staff. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Talking to a friend of mine who's Dad runs a NHS trust down here. They have been told to make ready to roll out the vaccine on the 9th Dec but that depends on getting it all cleared in time. It's two stage so you get one and then 4 weeks later you go back for a top up. Trusts paid a fee per patient. 12 hours of vaccinations a day, with a target number that I've forgotten. Potential for the jabs to be administered by non clinical staff as long as they're supervised by clinical staff. 

If I was doing the injections I’d definitely wear an EE 5G t shirt while doing it.

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

In thee two dose vaccines, does this first jab offer any protection? Or is it on the top-up that you’d hope to see immunisation?

26 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

In thee two dose vaccines, does this first jab offer any protection? Or is it on the top-up that you’d hope to see immunisation?

I’m not sure how it might vary between manufacturers, but with the Pfizer one I remember them saying you could only start assuming any immunity about two weeks after the second dose.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

These are the sort of questions I wished were asked on the news - let's actually tell people what is going on.

You're probably in a marginally better position some time after the first dose, but your immune system isn't going to be fully trained without the second dose. 

It isn't uncommon for vaccines to work like this. Those of you with kids probably remember lots of gp visits for vaccines in the first 3 months after birth. They were repeat shots of the same 6 in 1 vaccine. 

The rule of thumb is more exposure a virus = better (and longer lasting) immune responses. When you catch a live virus, it replicates in your body - so lots of exposure and usually a strong immune response. Most vaccines contain 'deactivated' virus, or fragments of the virus, such that it can't replicate in the body. So to get enough exposure to train the immune system to recognise and fight the infection, you need repeat jabs.

Edited by Fktf

Can anyone explain the reluctance of so many people in Leicester do do their bit and wear a mask in public?  There is a really low level of compliance in the Abbey Lane area at schools and shops. I just can’t understand. It’s not like people don’t know about it 

“The virus is taking a hold in all areas of the city, with some of the fastest-growing infection rates in Clarendon Park, Braunstone, West End, Stocking Farm and Mowmacre, Aylestone and Eyres Monsell.

The virus is spreading when people are meeting up with friends or family.”

Prof Ivan Browne

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/7-parts-leicester-fastest-growing-4727170.amp

Another day, another statement. This vaccine can’t come quick enough. Some people are not interested in listening. 

Really don’t want to be restricted in tier 3 of this is the concern of the council.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

4 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

I'm not sure, neither of us have the medical background to understand it even if we did discuss it. 

6 hours ago, Dunge said:

I’m not sure how it might vary between manufacturers, but with the Pfizer one I remember them saying you could only start assuming any immunity about two weeks after the second dose.

i also heard that from the interviews i've seen. no one will have immunity from vaccination until the end of jan  - its about time that this message was drummed into the population. way too many are already thinking that this is over. too many have poor ability to concentrate for more than five seconds and the msm with their 'headlines' over the years are probably responsible for that.

the message from the govt is way too upbeat ….i'm all for keeping morale up but this last couple weeks has just seen a continuation of the mixed messaging that has blighted this govt since the pandemic started and has resulted in too many infections and too many deaths ….

• Like 2

I guess Diwali celebrations would have an effect on infections. Much like people have said they'll break the rules for Christmas, you've got to imagine people would be meeting up with friends and family for Diwali, so I can't see them dropping for at least a week or so

30 minutes ago, String fellow said:

I wonder if there are any belt-and-braces folk out there who'll get vaccinations from two different manufacturers, and if so, will they suffer any bad consequences?  

Yes, death by selfishness

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

“The virus is taking a hold in all areas of the city, with some of the fastest-growing infection rates in Clarendon Park, Braunstone, West End, Stocking Farm and Mowmacre, Aylestone and Eyres Monsell.

The virus is spreading when people are meeting up with friends or family.”

Prof Ivan Browne

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/7-parts-leicester-fastest-growing-4727170.amp

Another day, another statement. This vaccine can’t come quick enough. Some people are not interested in listening. 

Really don’t want to be restricted in tier 3 of this is the concern of the council.

I remember when some people loved framing it as an issue for only the Asian communities. 

• Like 2

It's not spreading because of supermarkets, schools, colleges or universities then? The virus will no doubt spread when meeting up with friends and family, but this is only a small percentage of where it's spreading, even if the small number of people doing it stopped, it wouldn't reduce the case count by a couple of hundred a day.

It's just yet another statement to put the blame sorely at the feet of the public:frusty:

26 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I remember when some people loved framing it as an issue for only the Asian communities. 

Easy option which is usually linked to an intelligence issue. This is an unfortunate virus which spreads quickly even if in the main people are being as sensible as they can be. Let’s hope these vaccines finally put this horrible period to be !