Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

Between him and Williamson they've absolutely ****ed the teaching profession. 

Never been of lower stock and the nation have been turned against them. This government should be remembered as the one who used children as a tool for political posturing. 

Even the most ardent of Conservative supporters SHOULD be critical of this. 

I see a serious teaching shortage in the next few years. I'd imagine the thought of seeing children do well is very appealing but is it worth all the shit they have to put up with?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Corky said:

I see a serious teaching shortage in the next few years. I'd imagine the thought of seeing children do well is very appealing but is it worth all the shit they have to put up with?

I found the role to be rewarding in the classroom, 100%.

But there's been a growing, and nasty, attitude of disdain from home. Parents frequently think they know better and have the right to guide the curriculum. It's the only masters level profession I can think of that has to put up with the public thinking they know best. Not all parents, obviously, but certainly more and more. 

The kids are, largely, fantastic., 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

He was doing a tour of our office around the time he was binned from defence for leaking sensitive material to get more funding. General view from colleagues who gave the tour was that he was a complete lemon. 

You'll struggle to find a more unqualified person for cabinet - life experience and education 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

You'll struggle to find a more unqualified person for cabinet - life experience and education 

A fireplace salesman with no classroom experience guiding Masters and Doctoral level teachers. 

Welcome to Tory leadership, Gavin. Do as you please. 

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Between him and Williamson they've absolutely ****ed the teaching profession. 

Never been of lower stock and the nation have been turned against them. This government should be remembered as the one who used children as a tool for political posturing. 

Even the most ardent of Conservative supporters SHOULD be critical of this. 

People have turned on teachers?  I thought everyone was just upset at the schools being opened?

1 hour ago, foxile5 said:

Tier 5, one presumes. 

We won't know they're taking it seriously until the tiers go up to 11.  

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

People have turned on teachers?  I thought everyone was just upset at the schools being opened?

Pre-pandemic. There seemed, to me at least, a growing distrust of the teachers. Parents believing that they knew best on how to teach etc. 

14 minutes ago, Devonfox1884 said:

On education, I’m studying primary education and am due to go on placement in a Gloucestershire school tomorrow.

It seems very unnecessary for student teachers to go in, especially when you consider the fact that we’ve been told we don’t need to have tests before we do. If I’m asymptotic, I could take the virus in, spread it amongst the kids, who will then take it home and spread it even more! 

I understand it’s a horrendous balance to try and find, but surely the health of teachers/students/pupils should come first, meaning temporary closures are needed. I’d be more than happy to spend the time I would’ve been in school creating resources and holding lessons on zoom, it’s not ideal but it can and would work! 

I don't agree that holding classes on zoom will work.  I think perhaps teachers (not just you, but more experienced teachers and their union leaders) are forgetting that not all children are self-motivated or properly motivated by their parents.  Will a "typical teenager" who isn't specially interested in school but likes Facebook and computer games, if seated in front of a computer without supervision, spend his time on schoolwork or on computer games?  I think you know the answer.  The same answer applies to younger children too.  Not all parents have the time to supervise their children's computer screen permanently; not all children have all day access to a computer, especially if parents are working from home as well.

Obviously the teachers' unions have been working for 9 months to try and find a solution to the education of those who need forcing to be educated; I'm not aware they have found one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Another 50000 cases, what’s going to happen when everyone’s had it?

Then it goes away.  Or possibly returns in a much less serious form, like the possible coronavirus epidemic of the 1880's which may still be around in the form of one version of the common cold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1889–1890_pandemic

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I found the role to be rewarding in the classroom, 100%.

But there's been a growing, and nasty, attitude of disdain from home. Parents frequently think they know better and have the right to guide the curriculum. It's the only masters level profession I can think of that has to put up with the public thinking they know best. Not all parents, obviously, but certainly more and more. 

The kids are, largely, fantastic., 

Our kids teachers and school in general have been fantastic. We’ve nothing but respect and admiration for them. We’ve made damn sure they know it, however we are certainly in the minority. Some parents are unbelievably self centred.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Our kids teachers and school in general have been fantastic. We’ve nothing but respect and admiration for them. We’ve made damn sure they know it, however we are certainly in the minority. Some parents are unbelievably self centred.

Think it's a generational thing. A lot of secondary age parents are if the social media generation and their kids are an extension of themselves.