Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Guest Fktf
3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

You don't think a lot of the elderly people with multple conditions would have died in the following 6-12 anyway?  Looks pretty obvious to me.  It is clear the Covid death stats are dodgy at best as we get further away from the peak, so excess deaths is the only good measure, and frankly we are already not that far off a bad flu season.  If you think that those who might have died the coming winter from flu have already sadly dies of Covid, then it is not unreasonable to think the year ends up within.  Important to remember this hit us in Spring time when deaths are generally lower.

If this turns out to be the case, it will be even more important to remember we kept it to a 'normal' level only by cutting off transmission chains via an unprecedented lockdown 

1 hour ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Sainsbury’s not bothered if people don’t wear masks inside their stores from tomorrow.

Not surprising. The police have already come out and said they'll only enforce it as a last resort. Doubt all these supermarkets will be hiring their own security guards to deal with it, the ones there now barely give a shit when the buzzers at the door goes off. And asking normal shelf stackers to all of a sudden deal with these mongrels not wearing masks is probably a step too far.

37 minutes ago, Fktf said:

If this turns out to be the case, it will be even more important to remember we kept it to a 'normal' level only by cutting off transmission chains via an unprecedented lockdown 

Unprecedented but unweildy - I dont see why with much improved planning we can't control it with local lockdowns.

On 21/07/2020 at 22:13, Free Falling Foxes said:

We have just discovered you can claim £6/week when working from home in the form of a tax break. Handy in the winter when you may have the heating on more.

An unexpected negative for me with WFH are the online team meetings. I hate MS Teams with a passion.  Online training is a pain too - especially as there isn't a slap - up feed laid on.

We're getting £26 per month tax free payments for working at home allowance. I actually like Teams but without a proper work station my eyesight is really suffering. laptops are really not designed for long term working. Really hard to cut out the glare without a proper office. Having to work outside some of the time to try and cut it out but that doesn't work either.

Most of our company don't want to go back to the offices and I think we're looking at a one week in one week out system with hot desks, and Friday afternoons off so the offices can be deep cleaned for Monday. Also looking at a W office desk layout. Not sure how it will all work and as I'm not head office based it doesn't affect me but I do think my comnapy have been pretty decent so far. We closed all our head offices around the world with all staff home working on 13th March.

5 hours ago, Sampson said:

2,600 cases today in Spain.

They're fast heading for a 2nd lockdown.

These are the “assurances” we are being given.  The ratcheting up of figures is primarily connected with:

- fruit and veg pickers (controlled)

- factory workers (controlled)

- youths (specifically being linked to nightclubs)

The first two are resulting in all contacts being tested (this has a semblance of probability).  The third one is the real worry and surely must result in establishments being closed down.  The dichotomy between protection and €€€€€s?

In a small village 50km from where I am I understand this is what has happened.  One of the fruit pickers showed symptoms was tested and hospitalised. All residents of the village (pop 1500) and his contacts have been tested and now there are nearly 40 +ve cases and are now isolating.  I am aware fruit pickers live in some primitive housing so I am sure it is a challenge.  What I will vouch for is the local authorities are very supportive in these type of situations.

So, if what I explain is typical up and down the country there will be inevitable rises in cases and reflects good track and trace coupled with positive action.  The nightclub situation must surely be the Achilles heel? There are now some areas that are reverting to lockdown - the fabric of autonomous government makes this happen easily if decided.

What is probably worth keeping a closer eye on is the death rate.  Thankfully, to now, this has been kept relatively under control since lockdown lifted. The figures are disappointing for sure but I trust this gives a little insight into the management.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, zorro en españa said:

These are the “assurances” we are being given.  The ratcheting up of figures is primarily connected with:

- fruit and veg pickers (controlled)

- factory workers (controlled)

- youths (specifically being linked to nightclubs)

The first two are resulting in all contacts being tested (this has a semblance of probability).  The third one is the real worry and surely must result in establishments being closed down.  The dichotomy between protection and €€€€€s?

In a small village 50km from where I am I understand this is what has happened.  One of the fruit pickers showed symptoms was tested and hospitalised. All residents of the village (pop 1500) and his contacts have been tested and now there are nearly 40 +ve cases and are now isolating.  I am aware fruit pickers live in some primitive housing so I am sure it is a challenge.  What I will vouch for is the local authorities are very supportive in these type of situations.

So, if what I explain is typical up and down the country there will be inevitable rises in cases and reflects good track and trace coupled with positive action.  The nightclub situation must surely be the Achilles heel? There are now some areas that are reverting to lockdown - the fabric of autonomous government makes this happen easily if decided.

What is probably worth keeping a closer eye on is the death rate.  Thankfully, to now, this has been kept relatively under control since lockdown lifted. The figures are disappointing for sure but I trust this gives a little insight into the management.

Who on earth thought opening nightclubs was a good idea given the outbreaks that they saw in Seoul. Ideal transmission site for covid. Even Boris isn't that daft.

• Like 1

Guest Fktf
17 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Unprecedented but unweildy - I dont see why with much improved planning we can't control it with local lockdowns.

Agreed. That is something we should have been looking to do well before the national lock down even needed to be considered. I guess that might be a bit of hindsight bias, but at the same time local measures are a part of our flu plan.

7 hours ago, Sampson said:

2,600 cases today in Spain.

They're fast heading for a 2nd lockdown.

Edit: France is starting to shoot up too now. Hope these aren't the start of Europe's 2nd wave :(

Have to be weary here of not panicking. 

Testing is better, so more infections will be identified. If the infection rate is going up but the death rate says static, not so much of an issue. 

Key is stopping the rate of the infection spread to stop it overwhelming local services 

• Like 1

reading about the air quality / pollutants in Wuhan and from this forecast maybe its not a virus after all?

https://www.accuweather.com/en/cn/wuhan/103847/air-quality-index/103847

Unhealthy

Health effects can be immediately felt by sensitive groups. Healthy individuals may experience difficulty breathing and throat irritation with prolonged exposure. Limit outdoor activity.

Based on Current Pollutants

Fine Particulate Matter are inhalable pollutant particles with a diameter less than 2.5 micrometres that can enter the lungs and bloodstream, resulting in serious health issues. The most severe impacts are on the lungs and heart. Exposure can result in coughing or difficulty breathing, aggravated asthma, and the development of chronic respiratory disease.

1 hour ago, whoareyaaa said:

reading about the air quality / pollutants in Wuhan and from this forecast maybe its not a virus after all?

https://www.accuweather.com/en/cn/wuhan/103847/air-quality-index/103847

Unhealthy

Health effects can be immediately felt by sensitive groups. Healthy individuals may experience difficulty breathing and throat irritation with prolonged exposure. Limit outdoor activity.

Based on Current Pollutants

Fine Particulate Matter are inhalable pollutant particles with a diameter less than 2.5 micrometres that can enter the lungs and bloodstream, resulting in serious health issues. The most severe impacts are on the lungs and heart. Exposure can result in coughing or difficulty breathing, aggravated asthma, and the development of chronic respiratory disease.

How would you explain the rest of the world? 

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

So the actual virus they have found in people’s bodies isn’t a virus, is that what you are saying?

Under a microscope it looks like a virus, but if you look even closer, it's actually little bits of pollution wearing virus disguises

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

Under a microscope it looks like a virus, but if you look even closer, it's actually little bits of pollution wearing virus disguises

I read the post about 6 times and thought I had got something wrong but every time I read it it said the same thing, so confused.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Can't complain if thats the case, we've all been there when we've sneaked into home ends when when our away end sells out 305 priority points.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Have to be weary here of not panicking. 

Testing is better, so more infections will be identified. If the infection rate is going up but the death rate says static, not so much of an issue. 

Key is stopping the rate of the infection spread to stop it overwhelming local services 

The death rate is a lag indicator and by the time deaths increase, it’s too late

A few weeks ago US cases began to shoot up and trumps people said - ‘yeah but deaths are level’ .......now we see daily deaths 950/1150