Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

33 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

https://www.itv.com/thismorning/articles/matt-hancock-third-vaccine-travel-holiday-ban

Matt Hancock has said that holidays abroad are still unlikely this summer as he claims a third jab could be introduced later this autumn as part of the vaccine rollout, following new fears over the Brazillian and South African variants of the virus.

Speaking to Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby on This Morning, the Health Secretary said we need to be 'cautious' as the UK heads out of lockdown, explaining that international travel could pose a threat to our current vaccination efforts.

When asked why Britons can't go on holiday, Mr Hancock replied: "The biggest problem that we've got in terms of holidays, is that if there is a new variant that the vaccine doesn't work against."

Questioned as to how they plan to safeguard against new risks, the Health Secretary revealed that a new jab was being worked on.

"So we're also working on a new vaccine that we might have to roll out in the autumn, to give people a third dose that will deal with this problem. So we're working on that now...there might be a third jab in the autumn, yes."

Asked by Holly if he had any plans to travel this year, Matt Hancock said he would be enjoying a 'great British summer' and staying in the UK.

"I'm very confident that we're going to have a great British summer and having great holidays here."

Asked what assurance he would give to tour operators and businesses that rely on international travel, he added: "I have a lot of sympathy, we all want to get [travel] going as soon as possible but the most important thing is to protect the recovery here at home."

Just seen this which contradicts that, I’ll wait for the official announcement as the smoke and mirrors from the government pre announcement never makes things clear.

D9F2B360-E3FB-40AE-99DA-926E9545690D.png

• Thanks 1

Good thread on twitter (no really) about the conflating of international travel with 'holidays'. If people have loved ones abroad it's horrible at the moment, even as we get it under control here it still feels like the door is slamming shut.

17 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Strange, it’s unlike this Government to be sending mixed messages. 

Surely, mixed messaging is inevitable, given that the government, just like everyone else, cannot possibly give an accurate prediction of exactly how the virus (and therefore the measures needed to combat it) will develop in the coming months. All they can do is make judgement calls on the situation at any given time, based on knowledge gained during the last 12 months, and the best guesses of the medical experts, also based on that knowledge. But if you're natural inclination is to knock the government, whatever they do or say, then at least this thread won't run out of stuff to argue about!    

13 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Surely, mixed messaging is inevitable, given that the government, just like everyone else, cannot possibly give an accurate prediction of exactly how the virus (and therefore the measures needed to combat it) will develop in the coming months. All they can do is make judgement calls on the situation at any given time, based on knowledge gained during the last 12 months, and the best guesses of the medical experts, also based on that knowledge. But if you're natural inclination is to knock the government, whatever they do or say, then at least this thread won't run out of stuff to argue about!    

You act like this is a new thing on here lol

Someone sent me a link where you can book an AZ jab from those who haven't attended their appointment. Checked it this morning and got in for 11:30. In and out. Unsure if it's been posted in here or not or if i'm allowed to but can share it if anyone is interested. 

20 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

You act like this is a new thing on here lol

Apart from the government's slowness in imposing the first lock-down and the handling of the Cummings affair, I've been broadly supportive of their efforts to fight the virus. And looking at the current state of affairs here in the UK versus those in Europe, that support has been justified. Please note, I also stood up for Nacho when plenty of FTers were giving him stick earlier on this season! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Apart from the government's slowness in imposing the first lock-down and the handling of the Cummings affair, I've been broadly supportive of their efforts to fight the virus. And looking at the current state of affairs here in the UK versus those in Europe, that support has been justified. Please note, I also stood up for Nacho when plenty of FTers were giving him stick earlier on this season! 

For the first lockdown, you really need to blame SAGE.  The government locked down as soon as SAGE told them to.

17 minutes ago, Christoph said:

Someone sent me a link where you can book an AZ jab from those who haven't attended their appointment. Checked it this morning and got in for 11:30. In and out. Unsure if it's been posted in here or not or if i'm allowed to but can share it if anyone is interested. 

Has it got NHS written on it?

1 hour ago, String fellow said:

29 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Within reason, yes.

When we've got ministers saying one thing and a health secretary saying another, you've got to question what communication is going on.

Just advise people not to book and say if you do, there's a chance you might not be able to go. What they keep doing is saying it looks like you'll be able to go by this date, then they completely contradict what they said previously.

I don't even think it's mixed messages, I think half the time they just lie to be honest.

PS. I'm a Tory voter, so it's not like I'm just criticising them because I don't like them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Within reason, yes.

When we've got ministers saying one thing and a health secretary saying another, you've got to question what communication is going on.

Just advise people not to book and say if you do, there's a chance you might not be able to go. What they keep doing is saying it looks like you'll be able to go by this date, then they completely contradict what they said previously.

I don't even think it's mixed messages, I think half the time they just lie to be honest.

PS. I'm a Tory voter, so it's not like I'm just criticising them because I don't like them.

The thing is, I find that when I actually read the quotes rather than the made up stories/headlines, then the message seems to be generally the same. 

It also doesn't help that the same question is asked over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Every day, same rubbish questions even though an answer has already been given.

6 minutes ago, filbertway said:

The thing is, I find that when I actually read the quotes rather than the made up stories/headlines, then the message seems to be generally the same. 

It also doesn't help that the same question is asked over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Every day, same rubbish questions even though an answer has already been given.

I do agree with that, those pressers in the afternoon are the worst, always pointless questions!

Either way, I ain't bothering booking anything, nothing other than tables at the pub and restaurants, not worth the hassle.

The press questions often seem to be attempts by journalists to score points over the PM. Robert Peston's questions are usually the daftest, although I gather that he has hidden talents, such as singing. The real reason for continuing with the press conferences is to keep everyone's attention focused on not letting our guard slip. As for Vallance, Whitty and JVT, their lasting fame is assured, and with some justification, despite Vallance's 'good outcome' suggestion a year ago. 

27 minutes ago, Xen said:

Well, this is just great.

Without being too specific, I'm involved in the Nottingham covid response team. Behaviour like this is going to make for a fun few weeks...

It's a shame the government didn't allow for a '****ing idiots' priority group and get these chumps done ASAP

5 minutes ago, Houdini Logic said:

It's a shame the government didn't allow for a '****ing idiots' priority group and get these chumps done ASAP

Indeed. 

Theres an interesting discrepancy that if you plot the # Covid deaths against age group, there's a pretty stark split where those above the current 'vaccination progress' line (i.e. 45+) make up the bulk of instances. The opposite is true for the # Covid cases by age group, so groups like these acting with wild abandon after the first relaxation are probably going to drive yet another spike (predictable, but still...). Wouldn't be at all surprised to see a return of tier systems for midApril-July if this is isolated to local areas, or the whole timeline being pushed back if its a common theme across the country (in other words; is the south/southeast affected?)

1 hour ago, Xen said:

Well, this is just great.

Without being too specific, I'm involved in the Nottingham covid response team. Behaviour like this is going to make for a fun few weeks...

Although this is obviously a bit silly, at least they are outside where transmission is practically none. People have been doing this inside for months and it's spreading COVID, so at least doing outside might help us in the long run.

People brawling though :blink: The next couple of months are gonna be chaos, wait till the pubs open.

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

Daily update

4040 New Cases (1055 fewer than this time last week)

56 Deaths (Exactly half of last week)

The latest figures show that there are 4,153 people in hospital with covid. 

All heading in the right direction!

50% reduction in deaths compared to last Tuesday!

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Although this is obviously a bit silly, at least they are outside where transmission is practically none. People have been doing this inside for months and it's spreading COVID, so at least doing outside might help us in the long run.

People brawling though :blink: The next couple of months are gonna be chaos, wait till the pubs open.

The mess left behind is appalling, too. Why do people ruin nice public areas because they can't be arsed to find a bin?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Corky said:

The mess left behind is appalling, too. Why do people ruin nice public areas because they can't be arsed to find a bin?

Boils my piss does this.

Especially when I've seen numerous people in my local area during lockdown who are voluntarily going around collecting rubbish on their walks because they care and have pride in their village. 

• Like 1

I just took my daughter (24) to the People centre for a jab. She'd been rang by the GP and sent a letter and told to make an appointment, because she had an underlying condition. we don't know what that condition is but that's what they said.

She got there, her name was on the list, the the girl giving her the jab asked her why she was there, because she obviously wasn't over 50 she told them what I've told you and they wouldn't let her have the jab. The NHS contacted her, she didn't ask for it.They'd obviously allocated a jab for her, so what's going to happen to that? Bit annoying really.