Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HesNotGudjonsonn2

William Carvalho?

3 minutes ago, Lad1966 said:

I hope he will provide us with experience and leadership, something we are currently lacking

Experience is overrated. My main concern here is how slow and injury prone he is. I have the same issue with signing Lallana. I'd rather stick to what we know than go for experienced older players on high wages, but its obvious Rodgers wants to go in a different direction.

Just now, Blue and white said:

Experience is overrated. My main concern here is how slow and injury prone he is. I have the same issue with signing Lallana. I'd rather stick to what we know that go for experienced older players on high wages, but its obvious Rodgers wants to go in a different direction.

To be fair the two aren’t mutually exclusive. We signed Cambiasso, Huth, etc alongside younger players. I too hope that we continue to buy young up and coming players with high ceilings and future profit if we decide to sell but that does not mean we can’t also sign a couple of older heads along the way too. X 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Blue and white said:

Experience is overrated. My main concern here is how slow and injury prone he is. I have the same issue with signing Lallana. I'd rather stick to what we know than go for experienced older players on high wages, but its obvious Rodgers wants to go in a different direction.

Play devils advocate is it the lack of experience and second half of season collapse means we want signings like this?

8 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

Play devils advocate is it the lack of experience and second half of season collapse means we want signings like this?

Well he's not helped Betis get above mid table since he's been there. You'd also think if he was any good he'd have ended up at a better club in his prime years, seems to be on the decline to me and just feels like another Ghezzal or Silva that will be out on loan in 6 months.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Well he's not helped Betis get above mid table since he's been there. You'd also think if he was any good he'd have ended up at a better club in his prime years, seems to be on the decline to me and just feels like another Ghezzal or Silva that will be out on loan in 6 months.

I haven’t looked at stats or anything on him, was purely a week want experience to help the youngsters when their bottle goes’ 

2 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Well he's not helped Betis get above mid table since he's been there. You'd think if he was any good he'd have ended up at a better club in his prime years, seems to be on the decline to me.

...well according to that piece he has only played 13 games this season!!!

My only problem is his lumbar injury, if he gets past our medical team then fair play.

I guess we all saw how much we missed Ndidi when he was out injured and how Choudhury failed to fill that hole.

I just worry that he hasn't got the energy and dynamism for how we (want to) play. We don't want another Tielemens who can't see out 60 minutes before looking knackered.

23 minutes ago, Mark said:

Sign him if it keeps Ricardo happy.

Got a few months to prepare myself for when he starts next to Ndidi 😩

There’s a lot to be said about ‘friends’ and their influence on each other at the same clubs. 

annoyingly, Ricardo is great mates with Adrien Silva. Shame it didn’t work out for Adrien

Edited by FoxinNotts

1 hour ago, Blue and white said:

Simpson didn’t help QPR much but we won the league with him 

14 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

I doubt we’ve agreed anything with champions league qualification up in the air? Surely our business full dependant on champions leagues qualification?

He's playing lower mid-table La Liga, even with Europa League we'd be a step up. Also being out of Champions League doesn't mean we cant attract higher class players, we somehow got Ricky P from Porto, and he was very highly rated at the time. That said being in Champions League does open the door to more of that class of player and we'd have more money to pay them with, being qualified.

Thought Carvalho was older than 28 too, he's a good age to add in here. You do wonder about the CMs we do have though; Mendy, James, Choudhury is more than just cover, they have to be playing football for the sake of their careers

• Like 1

Sometimes I wonder who do our fans actually expect us to sign?!?

When the manager of our first team says that we cannot compete financially with the super clubs it’s because he means it. 

Carvalho has 59 caps for Portugal and has Champions League experience.

Judging by these comments we have a lot of fans who don’t remember or weren’t around during the bleak years when we had some absolute shite in our squad. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

Sometimes I wonder who do our fans actually expect us to sign?

Maddison, Ndidi, Ricardo, Soyuncu, Maguire, Tielemans and any other upwardly mobile, pre-prime players we've signed who improved the first eleven AND were/will be sold for considerable profit? Nobody's expecting us to go in and sign Lautaro Martinez or Jadon Sancho just because we've had one half of a good season.

Not sure what's so surprising about people being underwhelmed by signings like Silva, Ghezzal, Iborra, Praet, Perez, Bennett* and co who offer little to no improvement to the starting eleven and whom we'll never recoup the fees for. That's exactly the domain that William Carvalho belongs in, underwhelming squad fodder with no up-sell value, who won't start, won't do much developing whilst here and will soak up considerable wages in the process.

I'm all up for signing a Cambiasso, Wasyl, Albrighton or Nugent on a free transfer because we can catch a deal out of contract but actually going and lumping 15 - 30 million on these guys is disappointing when we've got such a strong recent history of intelligent recruitment. But for every genius buy we make we just can't help ourselves investing in quite obviously underwhelming garbage.

I know you need a squad, I get that, but a club trending in the direction that we are should be building a squad by buying players who are better than what we have now and making the players we have now compete with them. Not just deliberately signing duffers who, right from the off, are only ever going to be backup. How does that challenge Maddison, Tielemands and Ndidi to improve? How does it push the club forward in the long run? It doesn't, it's just how you stagnate.

(* probably unfair, given the £5m price tag he probably belongs in the free-signing pile which I can't really complain about.)

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Maddison, Ndidi, Ricardo, Soyuncu, Maguire, Tielemans and any other upwardly mobile, pre-prime players we've signed who improved the first eleven AND were/will be sold for considerable profit? Nobody's expecting us to go in and sign Lautaro Martinez or Jadon Sancho just because we've had one half of a good season.

Not sure what's so surprising about people being underwhelmed by signings like Silva, Ghezzal, Iborra, Praet, Perez, Bennett* and co who offer little to no improvement to the starting eleven and whom we'll never recoup the fees for. That's exactly the domain that William Carvalho belongs in, underwhelming squad fodder with no up-sell value, who won't start, won't do much developing whilst here and will soak up considerable wages in the process.

I'm all up for signing a Cambiasso, Wasyl, Albrighton or Nugent on a free transfer because we can catch a deal out of contract but actually going and lumping 15 - 30 million on these guys is disappointing when we've got such a strong recent history of intelligent recruitment. But for every genius buy we make we just can't help ourselves investing in quite obviously underwhelming garbage.

I know you need a squad, I get that, but a club trending in the direction that we are should be building a squad by buying players who are better than what we have now and making the players we have now compete with them. Not just deliberately signing duffers who, right from the off, are only ever going to be backup. How does that challenge Maddison, Tielemands and Ndidi to improve? How does it push the club forward in the long run? It doesn't, it's just how you stagnate.

(* probably unfair, given the £5m price tag he probably belongs in the free-signing pile which I can't really complain about.)

Think it's unfair to lump Carvalho in with that lot.

I think everyone was uninspired by Iborra and Ghezzal whereas most thought Perez and Praet were good squad depth players and most were very excited by Adrien Silva. 

I think Carvalho will be similar to Perez and Praet as opposed to the other 3.