Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HesNotGudjonsonn2

William Carvalho?

Carvalho is a weird one. Obviously a lot of talent and when he was a little younger was one of the very best prospects in the world. However every summer he is linked with an English club, last summer west hame, Arsenal before and others before that. He never seems to get the move and I'm a little surprised he's at Betis rather than one of the more elite clubs in Europe at this stage of his career. For me he would certainly be worth the fee quoted (from memory 16 million?)

1 hour ago, filbertway said:

Not sure what he offers that we need. Basically the same as Mendy isn't he?

Maybe that's the reason? Mendy leaves on a free so we sign a replacement. Carvalho might not be first team, but at 14m that's a bargain. I'd rather keep Mendy, but he's good enough to play first team for a decent team in France or even a top 10 team in the Premier League IMO. He might not tear up any trees but he is a good player who is consistent and reliable, so if he wants first team football you can't hold it against him.

I don't think we need this player but next season we are going to need to rely much more on having a competitive squad. He's an international player with European experience. Assuming we play 60 games next season then having 3 CDMs doesn't seem too outlandish to have in the squad. We saw what happened when Ndidi was injured, we looked vulnerable.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

Maybe that's the reason? Mendy leaves on a free so we sign a replacement. Carvalho might not be first team, but at 14m that's a bargain. I'd rather keep Mendy, but he's good enough to play first team for a decent team in France or even a top 10 team in the Premier League IMO. He might not tear up any trees but he is a good player who is consistent and reliable, so if he wants first team football you can't hold it against him.

I don't think we need this player but next season we are going to need to rely much more on having a competitive squad. He's an international player with European experience. Assuming we play 60 games next season then having 3 CDMs doesn't seem too outlandish to have in the squad. We saw what happened when Ndidi was injured, we looked vulnerable.

Very true mate. At that price he may be worth the gamble. I've not seen a lot of him, but I've never thought "wow, he's some player". I think it was a case of a young lad playing for a fairly well known team, everybody thought he was going to be some kind of world beater. 

Like you say though, if next season happens and we're in the champions league. Players of his calibre and experience should be good to call upon over a long season.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Yes please. A midfielder from Sporting Lisbon, what could possibly go wrong?

Plays for Real Betis now doesn’t he?

• Like 1

Hamza isn’t a holding midfielder at the elite level, well not yet anyway. He’s better as a box to box midfielder at this stage of his career. Mendy’s off when his contract expires so that means we need a capable deputy for Wilf. Carvalho will play a minimum 25 games next season if he comes here. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GingerrrFox said:

Hamza isn’t a holding midfielder at the elite level, well not yet anyway. He’s better as a box to box midfielder at this stage of his career. Mendy’s off when his contract expires so that means we need a capable deputy for Wilf. Carvalho will play a minimum 25 games next season if he comes here. 

25 games?  Is that because of AFCON next year? If so do see why not

13 hours ago, GingerrrFox said:

I’m a huge Hamza fan, but honestly if he’s going to have a chance here he needs a good season long loan somewhere. 

Get him to a championship team fighting for promotion, where he can play every game and see how he actually develops.

5 games a season just isn’t going to be enough if he’s ever going to break into our first 11. 

When the dreaded day comes that we loose wilf, a more experienced hamza could fill the void. Currently though, he’s too raw 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

The problem with mendy isn't that he's bad it's that he's constantly injured. Carvalho has had some injuries this last season but he's not as injury prone as mendy 

6 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

I think Hamza is going to be better as an 8 than a 6.

I can’t see him ever being disciplined enough to sit at the base of a top midfield as he likes to go chasing the ball. If we see further improvements on his technical ability he could be some box to box midfielder with his engine though.

The way I see it is his true talent lies with his tackling, speed and strength. If we can get him to mentally play the ndidi role he could be as good as anyone at protecting the back 4. If we try to make him an 8 he will never be a top player, because plain and simply he is nowhere near good enough at the other aspects of the game. I don’t think he could improve enough in those areas to reach the level we are aiming for. Creativity is needed in this role and I haven’t seen any evidence he has more than a 5 yard pass in his locker.

I think theres a reason that his best performances have been in games where we have expected to have less possession.  

• Like 2

Another defensive midfielder for me is so important. Hamza is a box to box for me. Our drop in form directly coincides with wilf being out. (and Mendy being out didn’t  help.)

I know we lost to Liverpool and city. But we bounced straight back after that in games we should to win. 

Edited by teblin
  • Like 1