Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HesNotGudjonsonn2

William Carvalho?

You can't just have a squad made up of talented 22 year olds, sometimes you need ready made players who can walk straight in. Didn't City sign Fernandinho when he was 28? Who'd have imagined he'd have made the impact he has.

Wilf will be on plenty of other clubs radars too you'd imagine so it covers us in that regard. 

Need wingers tho

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Goober said:

You can't just have a squad made up of talented 22 year olds, sometimes you need ready made players who can walk straight in. Didn't City sign Fernandinho when he was 28? Who'd have imagined he'd have made the impact he has.

Wilf will be on plenty of other clubs radars too you'd imagine so it covers us in that regard. 

Need wingers tho

We do, we also need another striker, and i don`t mean instead of Iheanacho, i mean as well as. We need 3 strikers in the squad minimum.  Also need a midfielder that can run past people, and drive at the opposition.

32 minutes ago, Goober said:

Need wingers tho

Someone like this guy? :ph34r:

inler-gokhan-leicester_3349602.jpg

2 hours ago, Jaspa said:

He's playing lower mid-table La Liga, even with Europa League we'd be a step up. Also being out of Champions League doesn't mean we cant attract higher class players, we somehow got Ricky P from Porto, and he was very highly rated at the time. That said being in Champions League does open the door to more of that class of player and we'd have more money to pay them with, being qualified.

Thought Carvalho was older than 28 too, he's a good age to add in here. You do wonder about the CMs we do have though; Mendy, James, Choudhury is more than just cover, they have to be playing football for the sake of their careers

I get that, but there’s always knock on effect, if being in champions league frees up extra £50 million and failure means we don’t have that, is Carvalho a signing we want regardless of champions league football? Paying 28 million for him may mean we can’t strengthen another area if we don’t qualify? Nothing against his ability etc just a what if. So I’m surprised we’ve committed if true given we may have restricted budget! 

21 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Flipping heck, that's such reactionary bollocks. Sorry mate but I could not disagree more. I can't help but think his poor form is clouding your judgment of him.

He's never been an attacking midfielder, always a box to box one.

Does someone that is "not far off garbage" really get consistent call ups into that Belgian midfield? 

We signed him for 15m or so and he's generally done a stellar job. Were you expecting another Tielemans/Maddison to come along and sit on our bench? No wonder fans of other clubs think we've turned into a set of entitled bellends when we think that players like Praet aren't good enough.

He's not a box to box midfielder in the slightest and, if he was, that'd be worse given the anonymity of his defensive displays. His default positioning has always been to make more advanced vertical runs, he looks to get on the ball in the final third and make fairly quick, short, interchanging passes. It's quite effective at picking up the tempo of attacking play and I'm not saying it has no value but it's worthless when he's  meant to be filling in for YT or Madders. We need a midfielder on the ball in the heart of the side dictating playing and getting a passing game going which he seems to be entirely incapable of doing.

You're right to an extent, "garbage" is reactionary, clearly he's not the worst midfielder we've ever signed but he's an enormously underwhelming one and his strange cult hero status on Foxestalk is largely a mix of Hume/Albrighton syndrome* and James/Kapustka/Gray/Sappleton/Panayiotou/Hirst/Thomas syndrome**.

As a player signed for about the same money we paid for Maddison, Ndidi, Soyuncu and Pereira I think being disappointed with what we got is fair.

(*the phenomena where white guys who run around a lot are rated fare more highly than brown ones that don't, see also the reverse - Riyad Mahrez syndrome.)

(**the phenomena where somewhat unknown players or players who've been out of the team long enough for people to forget they're shit double or treble in ability when the form of the first team is mediocre.)

How anyone can come to a definitive decision about Praet already baffles me. 

He's started what, 10-12 games? Probably with a sustained max run of 5 in a row. 

In that time he has shown some good, some mediocre and some poor. Probably what you'd expect out of someone who has been in and out of a side which has been great for half a season and rubbish for the rest. 

As for Carvalho, id be underwhelmed. Would like someone with a bit more mobility. 

he is very good, not the fastest but a good leader who can pass, defend, tackle, and in general is really solid. he has great vision as well. he will bring highly needed experience to the side 

• Like 1