Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Possible 2nd lockdown for Leicester?

14 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Localised lockdowns won't work. 

If restrictions are imposed in Leicester, or anywhere else, but pubs are opening in other areas, you're telling me the same idiots who think they're invincible aren't going to travel 20 miles to another area? 

Exactly this. You can't regulate rules like this for specific regions when you can easily drive into Nottingham or Loughborough without anyone stopping you. It has to be one rule for all. 

Just now, shailen said:

Exactly this. You can't regulate rules like this for specific regions when you can easily drive into Nottingham or Loughborough without anyone stopping you. It has to be one rule for all. 

With all the mass gatherings it's not even working nationally.

1 minute ago, shailen said:

It's been done in other countries. The trick is police road blocks on minor roads and checkpoints on major roads (to allow key supplies through). It also has to be indiscriminate, no coming in or out for any reason, even work, unless you're delivering food, water, medicine etc. 

4 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

It's been done in other countries. The trick is police road blocks on minor roads and checkpoints on major roads (to allow key supplies through). It also has to be indiscriminate, no coming in or out for any reason, even work, unless you're delivering food, water, medicine etc. 

Unfortunately Leicester is a very difficult City to try to do that. We have so many different entry routes leading to the City it's part of the reason that public transport is so difficult to set up.

39 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Soulsby said that hospital admissions are still decreasing so I tend to agree with you. If more and more people are just getting a mild illness then is it really worth introducing drastic lockdown measures?

Reintroducing a harsh lockdown will kill some already struggling businesses. As has always been the case, far more damaging for long term prospects or the young and healthy.

Its unworkable on a local level for do many reasons. Do businesses get full furlough again etc etc etc.

If it's not overwhelming healthcare systems then we have got to try and live with it, taking precautions where necessary. Masks should be worn,  social distancing enforced etc.

Edited by Foxin_Mad

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/10-areas-leicester-worst-hit-4259616

Top 10 worst hit areas in Leicester for those who haven’t seen.

This rise though has been going on from the start of June, a graph I saw stated that Leicester were getting between 60-80 confirmed cases a day, especially over the past 2-3 weeks.

Nearly 450 of the 658 cases were largely in the north and east of the city. The rest were spread more evenly around the city.

1. North Evington 118 positive tests
  2. Humberstone and Hamilton 52 positive tests
  3. Belgrave 45 positive tests
  4. Spinney Hills 41 positive tests
  5. Rushey Mead 35 positive tests
  6. Stoneygate 34 positive tests
  7. Wycliffe 32 positive tests
  8. Evington 30 positive tests
  9. Thurncourt 30 positive tests
  10. Troon 30 positive tests

Interesting to see how it will work like people have said. My mum lives on the border, the other side of the road is Leicester City, she's in County. How do they look at these areas? There's a lot of cross boundaries that take place on travelling, journeys etc. Seems like an extremely difficult thing to manage successfully.

Still, the whole debate in itself has enabled people to push their predictable agendas :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, stripeyfox said:

Nearly 450 of the 658 cases were largely in the north and east of the city. The rest were spread more evenly around the city.

1. North Evington 118 positive tests
  2. Humberstone and Hamilton 52 positive tests
  3. Belgrave 45 positive tests
  4. Spinney Hills 41 positive tests
  5. Rushey Mead 35 positive tests
  6. Stoneygate 34 positive tests
  7. Wycliffe 32 positive tests
  8. Evington 30 positive tests
  9. Thurncourt 30 positive tests
  10. Troon 30 positive tests

That’s an interesting breakdown. Fairly mixed demographics in each of those areas. A lot of those employed in the factories which have reported cases live in those areas. May be a simple explanation for the spike in cases which is combined with more testing in the city. 

2 hours ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

Being from the area but now living in Barnsley, are there any thoughts on what is causing this particular increase in Leicester? 

Barnsley was increasing in May, which wasn't a surprise with the amount of people who appeared to be out and about around the local parks, house parties etc ignoring social distancing guidelines. It appeared to slow down or at least wasn't as reported as much over the last month up until a few days ago when multiple cases were reported at a royal mail distribution centre. 

Supposedly they in the North Evington area.

Remember we have had BLM protests.

I live in the city but on the other side of the city, I would say less than 1 in 5 are wearing masks, and I have seen many people walking in groups.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

The number of people actually dying in hospital with the disease has dropped dramatically (as a percentage of those in there). The explanation for that is unknown but that is one of the possibilities....

I think data comparisons are going to be fraught with inconsistencies 

Drop in death rates will be down to improved processes learnt with experience, there is also the new drug which is predicted to lower by 30%.

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

What Eid celebrations went ahead in the CIty ?

Generally people going round other peoples houses to celebrate.

My mate who I thought knew better had over 30 people round his house at one time. And these would go on to visit other friends and family and so on.

But this just isn't about Eid. The breakdown of social distancing runs through all sections of society from what I can see and most age groups. 

Edited by Grebfromgrebland

1 hour ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Surely the main thing they should be tracking is a rise in hospital admissions, and or increase in deaths.

Personaly I feel people getting the virus as has always been the case isnt really an issue if they are young and healthy. The issue is the old and vulnerable getting it and local hospitals being overwhelmed.

I wonder how many out of those 600 odd have required critical care? There are theories amongst some overseas experts the virus is becoming less potent over time.

Probably the Overseas Citizens in developed countries  have shown more awareness & discipline...?

1 hour ago, Filberts Treat said:

Which areas are showing the spike?

North Evington     Sadly it is where there are a lot of people living in one home the asian community is being hit hard   EID hasnt helped with mass gatherings

Edited by merlin1969
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

Eid was over a month ago and there's literally zero evidence that there were any eid related mass gatherings. Much more to do with outbreaks in food production settings where conditions for transmission are perfect. At least this outbreak has been recognised, more worrying would be cases which aren't being picked up.

As for LCFC games, they'll still be played unless players start testing positive.   

Just saying what I’ve been told by people who know, and the figures went up from 10 days after Eid when people felt bad and got tested. The spike has been over 3-4 weeks well they say spike 49 cases a day, also why they set up temp testing where they did. You don’t have to believe me, just saying what I’ve been told, may be wrong🤷‍♂️ And yes a few people got covid in a biscuit factory but that was recent and not over the period of the spike.

1 hour ago, peach0000 said:

Police road blocks? With what police? Leicestershire police does not have the capacity to provide such a service. He council would have to do it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/staff-samworth-brothers-sandwich-factory-4269744.amp

I'm assumimg not ;)

But yes, the "bubble" of project restart and continuous testing should reduce any risks  

We always knew the workers at Bradgate Bakery were stoopid... (Charnwood Bakery FTW ;):P  (Yes, I know, they've probably got it there, too...)  I'm glad my job can work from home without any real problems for now - so long as the server holds up in the office... :fc:  Lots of people without masks here in London too, tbh - not that I go out much...