Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Possible 2nd lockdown for Leicester?

These rises are due to pillar 2 testing.

There is two types of testing.

Hospital testing.

Wider public testing.

The hospital testing for Leicester matches other cities.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/still-coronavirus-outbreak-leicester-statistics-4259107

Check pillar 1.

It has been compared to this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_in_London

In my opinion though that london data excludes pillar 2.

14 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

I'll be chuckling through my telescope from liberated Loughborough on July 4th then lol

...have they made that date on purpose as it's Independence Day?

Trump is not happy with The leftist pinkos of Leicester

17 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Let me try this again. Something has got muddled.

Sir Peter Soulsby said the government has recommended

Keep following.

current restrictions

Yup, the same restrictions in place now, not priti's suggested local lockdown, or claudia webbe's lockdown.

are maintained for a further fortnight.

Yup, 2 more weeks.

One more time so we get some coherence. Recommended, current restrictions, 2 more weeks. Now whether Sir Donkey agrees to it is on him, as I expect if he wants to follow Claudia's full lockdown would be in his hands too. Let's be honest, if cases were rising while current restrictions were in place, then that is on the people who are breaking them. Who, I'd add, would probably break them again. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Are the government enforcing or recommending this lockdown? 

8 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

So whose running the country then?

Sigh.

The government is. Who are providing recommendations for mayors, who are in charge of running cities and imo, should have the final say on local matters now that nationally cases have dropped to an "acceptable" level. Mayors, in theory, *should* have more knowledge about what steps are most needed in their area.

If you want the government to make every local decision, then we really shouldn't have mayors at all, should we.

Edit, and before the reee not every city has a mayor, obviously I mean, mayor/council. Throwing it out there.

Edited by Innovindil

19 minutes ago, Danizen said:

Would it be city limits or county lines?

That's what isn't that clear. If it's just Leicester how does that work? Just LE1? I guess it will all come out. Personally I don't see how it works it it will do is push people out of the city onto the surrounding towns and villages. Like in Hinckley for instance say the say all LE postcodes are still locked down. Everyone will just go to Stoke golding, Dadlighton, Nuneaton for a beer as they are CV postcodes. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Sigh.

The government is. Who are providing recommendations for mayors, who are in charge of running cities and imo, should have the final say on local matters now that nationally cases have dropped to an "acceptable" level. Mayors, in theory, *should* have more knowledge about what steps are most needed in their area.

If you want the government to make every local decision, then we really shouldn't have mayors at all, should we.

Edit, and before the reee not every city has a mayor, obviously I mean, mayor/council. Throwing it out there.

Do the mayor and the city have the data that SAGE and related NHS trusts have? 

Does the mayor/city via law have the ability to close or deny businesses from opening? 

Does the mayor/city have a direct link to the local Police authority to assist in enforcing the lockdown? 

I take your point about mayors and the relation to local knowledge but as far as I know their available powers aren't that huge. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

7 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Do the mayor and the city have the data that SAGE and related NHS trusts have? 

Does the mayor/city via law have the ability to close or deny businesses from opening? 

Does the mayor/city have a direct link to the local Police authority to assist in enforcing the lockdown? 

I take your point about mayors and the relation to local knowledge but as far as I know their available powers aren't that huge. 

If it's coming as a recommendation from the government, then I'd say they would have the power to fulfill it, surely.

People need to realise we are talking about carrying on what is already happening. This talk of a full lockdown or somehow bordering leicester off from the outside world is exactly that, talk. It's an option, but no one, not a single person, has said it WILL happen, just that it is an option on the table. I highly doubt we'll ever get to the point where we'll be needing roadblocks to stop people escaping, especially over just a few hundred confirmed cases.

Surely when there is a drastic increase in the amount of testing done, you would assume that naturally You would see an increase in positive results?

The thing to focus on is the number of hospital admissions and the number of ICU patients, that is the main reason behind lockdown, to stop the NHS from being overran. If we are seeing an increase in positive test results but we aren’t seeing an increase in the above then surely the “herd immunity” theory is working. 

• Like 1

It is absolute bollocks.

Our hospital admissions and death rates remain very low. We are at 13 % of tests being positive other cities not facing a lock down are as high as 11% or 12%. 

We have become part of the governments spin operation, they want to show their test and trace work works and now sadly good hardworking Leicester folk will suffer just when they were planning to open up their businesses. 

Deeply frustrating.

Edited by The whole world smiles
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

I'm no public health expert, but surely if they're spreading under current restrictions, then just continuing current restrictions isn't really going to help?

It helped everywhere where it was strictly enforced by the government and respected by the population. People are behaving like idiots, ignoring the rules and expect the virus to go away. It won't. Prime example being the banana republic known as the United States of America.

This crap is with for a very long while and unless people are willing to make some sacrifices and at least follow the social distancing rules, we won't get rid of it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

This crap is with for a very long while and unless people are willing to make some sacrifices and at least follow the social distancing rules, we won't get rid of it.

There lies the problem though. Because no matter how law abiding most people are there is always going to be a chunk of the population who says **** that and will do what they want. 

16 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

It is absolute bollocks.

Our hospital admissions and death rates remain very low. We are at 13 % of tests being positive other cities not facing a lock down are as high as 11% or 12%. 

We have become part of the governments spin operation, they want to show their test and trace work works and now sadly good hardworking Leicester folk will suffer just when they were planning to open up their businesses. 

Deeply frustrating.

Do they? I was chatting to my friend yesterday, whos dad works in the ICU in the royal, and they said it was very, very full.

7 minutes ago, Christoph said:

There lies the problem though. Because no matter how law abiding most people are there is always going to be a chunk of the population who says **** that and will do what they want. 

Assuming that's the case, what explains places - like a fair few parts of East Asia - that have had remarkable success dealing with all this? Better preparation and execution of plans, no doubt, but I would submit there is also a difference in mindset with stuff like this where there isn't nearly as many people who do simply do as they want - and that has an effect IMO.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Assuming that's the case, what explains places - like a fair few parts of East Asia - that have had remarkable success dealing with all this? Better preparation and execution of plans, no doubt, but I would submit there is also a difference in mindset with stuff like this where there isn't nearly as many people who do simply do as they want - and that has an effect IMO.

I think you're right. My guess is culture. A lot more of those countries have a population thats more compliant to the government and local community. 

2 hours ago, goose2010 said:

That's what isn't that clear. If it's just Leicester how does that work? Just LE1? I guess it will all come out. Personally I don't see how it works it it will do is push people out of the city onto the surrounding towns and villages. Like in Hinckley for instance say the say all LE postcodes are still locked down. Everyone will just go to Stoke golding, Dadlighton, Nuneaton for a beer as they are CV postcodes. 

This is what I don't get. Also, if people do this, it will spread any potential infection from LE postcodes to CV postcodes. :dunno:

Nice pub in Stoke Golding too lol

21 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

South Korea fits that bill.

Australia though? 

Of course there's always exceptions to the rule and I do think there's something in what you say.