Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Brendan Rodgers

Just now, Beechey said:

He won't be sacked though, it's way too expensive.

Sacking Puel, Shakespeare, Ranieri or Sven wasn't cheap either. If the owners think its necessary they'll do it. 

56 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

How long is a bit of time?

At this point Rodgers has had 18 months.

Solskjær joined Manchester United in Dec 2018.  So he has had one extra month over Rodgers.  I have looked at their results for the 17 games proceeding his 18 month point and there is no run of bad form that comes close to what we have here.  Not even for the entire season has he had a run like ours.  Solskjær team was suffering from been inconsistent, but he was managing to get scalps against the teams at the top end of the table, so he never looked like been on a downward projectory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_Manchester_United_F.C._season

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_Leicester_City_F.C._season

Solskjaer's job has probably been saved by Bruno Fernandes. He was able to bring in a world class player in January for a fee of £67m, that's not something we can do. He also inherited one of the best squads in Europe (De Gea, Rashford, Martial, Pogba etc). Also, you look at Man United's squad and resources and then you look at our's and you'd say we're overachieving and they've underachieved until now. 

• Like 2

Guest An Sionnach

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a meeting with Top who will be less than happy in seeing his club embarrassed so badly on live TV. He will be warned about his future behaviour and given the brutal kicking he has received on here and in the media we might see a change of attitude.

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Correct it is, but i'm sure even if Puel had got us 6th or higher you wouldn't have changed you opinion, the situation here is hardly any different, certainly not how we're dropping and certainly not when it comes to the dull as dishwater football.

If Puel had got us to 6th I'd have bit my tongue, for a club like ours that's a very decent season. 

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Sacking Puel, Shakespeare, Ranieri or Sven wasn't cheap either. If the owners think its necessary they'll do it. 

Brendan would get a job easily if we let him go. Compensation wouldn't be anywhere near the total amounts getting bandied about. Hopefully it won't come it.

7 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If Puel had got us to 6th I'd have bit my tongue, for a club like ours that's a very decent season. 

I'll take your word for it.

I know I probably wouldn't have because my issue is with the dull as dishwater football nothing more, nothing less.

Unfortunately this isn't a issue that we're suffering with exclusively, it seems most clubs feel 'you must play in this style', football has become so boring.

I just wish we were the exception and not the rule.

On the other hand if this is route the club are going down becoming 'this' club then whats the point in even questioning Rodgers, what was the point in sacking Puel. There is no point because we'll get someone else in to play exactly the same type of turgid, slow, build up play football.

What I don't understand is we keep signing players suited to our old style, suited to fast, attacking football, if we're going down this route lets sign some players to suit it.

Edited by Matt
  • Haha 1

Just like he is in being very analytical and studious in his game plans, just hope he analyses his managerial mistakes yesterday and understand why the certain decisions yesterday led to a performance collapse.

Edited by Wymsey
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Sacking Rodgers and his staff might cost more than all of them combined.

7 minutes ago, Webbo said:

This would cost £45m. The others you list didn't have contracts anywhere near as expensive and long as Rodgers' has.

That's just for Rodgers, not his entire backroom staff.

We can't afford that.

Edited by Beechey

Just now, Beechey said:

This would cost £45m. The others you list didn't have contracts anywhere near as expensive or as long as Rodgers' has.

That's assuming they all stay on gardening leave for the rest of their contracts. Can't see Brendan staying idle for long.

4 hours ago, Facecloth said:

How is a miskick stupid and arrogant. If he was trying step overs and trying trick his way past on coming strikers then yeah, I agree, but it was a miskick, happens to every keeper. Are you sure you know what arrogant means? You ask what was thinking? Probably let's kick this over there and not straight at Ndidi. You honestly think he meant it?

A bit patronising this. I think he is over confident in his kicking and this was the case last night. A horrendous mistake. I think he gets away with a lot of his poor kicking and should have shown better game management then taking silly risks when we were 1-0 up. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

I'd imagine Top is far more level-headed than most of our fans and won't be thinking of hauling him in for a bollocking let alone be thinking of sacking him. 

Warned about his behaviour? What's he done? He didn't **** a ball boy, he lost a game of football. Or more accurately, the players, through two acts of breath-taking stupidity lost a game of football.

I don't necesarily agree with the post you've quoted and i'm not looking for arguments however I do disagree with your pinning the blame solely on 'two acts of breath-taking stupidity' whilst that's what it was do you not think the changes at half time invited pressure upon ourselves? Played into Bournemouth's hands? Gifted them chances?

I don't get it. In the way we usually play, the way we changed to play in the 2nd half we invite pressure, teams are confident of getting draws or sneaking wins against us because we do half the job for them.

34 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Are we in a higher position than we were with 3 games to go than last season? Have we a better GD than at this stage last season? 

After 35 games last season, we were 10th with 48 points and a GD of +1

(We were 12th with 32 pts from 27 games and a GD of -6 when Puel was sacked)

25 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I get ****ed off by Rodgers just as the next person with his tactical brain farts. But there’s a clear difference in under Rodgers we are in midst the top six. Under Puel, it was aiming for 7th but eventually finishing 11th/12th.

25 minutes ago, Webbo said:

When Puel was here we were told we should be happy to be 12th, now people are moaning because we're only going to finish 6th.

The current form is worrying and I may change my mind but atm Brendans got enough credit in the bank for me to give him a bit of slack

Agreed.

11 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I'd have been much happier too!

3 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

I'd imagine Top is far more level-headed than most of our fans and won't be thinking of hauling him in for a bollocking let alone be thinking of sacking him. 

Warned about his behaviour? What's he done? He didn't **** a ball boy, he lost a game of football. Or more accurately, the players, through two acts of breath-taking stupidity lost a game of football.

And that is exactly what you want from the person who makes the big decisions.

• Like 3

Guest ttfn
13 minutes ago, Beechey said:

This would cost £45m. The others you list didn't have contracts anywhere near as expensive and long as Rodgers' has.

We can't afford that.

I would be surprised if the payoffs for Ranieri, Puel, Pearson and Shakespeare combined were even half what it would cost to fire Rodgers. Let’s not forget we also paid £7m or whatever it was to bring him down from Celtic.

Would we really effectively break our transfer record just to fire our manager?

Rodgers is here as long as he wants.

11 minutes ago, l444ry said:

That's assuming they all stay on gardening leave for the rest of their contracts. Can't see Brendan staying idle for long.

Indeed, but looking at the size of the contract, the termination clause even if he chooses to go back into management will still be eye-wateringly high.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

I don't necesarily agree with the post you've quoted and i'm not looking for arguments however I do disagree with your pinning the blame solely on 'two acts of breath-taking stupidity' whilst that's what it was do you not think the changes at half time invited pressure upon ourselves? Played into Bournemouth's hands? Gifted them chances?

I've seen this numerous times now, we made just one change at half time.

32 minutes ago, Matt said:

Table position aside what's different?

You talk about a middling Premier League team, @Webbo says we were told we should have been happy with 12th (I admittedly used it to strenghten my arguments against Puel), My issue wasn't table position under Puel it was dull football, my issue now isn't table position or how we're dropping, it's the dull football.

I think it's easy to call unsuccessful football dull. When we lose, we're not entertaining.

But I think it's wrong to say that when we get it right that we're anything but entertaining. We were entertaining in the second half vs Arsenal, the 1st half last night and the second half against Palace.

Puel's problem was that he was exclusively dull. When we won we were boring. When we lost we were boring.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ely fox said:

A bit patronising this. I think he is over confident in his kicking and this was the case last night. A horrendous mistake. I think he gets away with a lot of his poor kicking and should have shown better game management then taking silly risks when we were 1-0 up. 

I'll agree with you that he kicking is piss poor at times, and I've brought up that stupid ball he plays out to full backs numerous times. But here he was just lumping it and didn't catch it right. It happens. I'm baffled what silly risk you thought he was taking?

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

I don't get it. In the way we usually play, the way we changed to play in the 2nd half we invite pressure, teams are confident of getting draws or sneaking wins against us because we do half the job for them.

The change didn't help, I won't dispute that but I can see why he made the change if he felt that Youri and the defence needed more cover and let's be honest, Nacho was poor first half. However, they weren't causing any major damage until Kasper had that absolute brain fart. That was then compounded by Caglar's complete idiocy which cost us any chance of getting back into that game. Obviously it's my opinion, but I think if Kasper doesn't make that error then we soak up that pressure, frustrate them and win the game. They were always going to put pressure on at some point and I think we'd have got through it if Kasper doesn't give them a Get Out of Jail Free card. 

I really think the 5 sub role was in Rodgers mind and encouraged him to make the change at half time. We'd already used one of our opportunities to sub and as half time didn't count he thought he'd use a sub. He definitely doesn't make that sub in normal circumstances given we'd already used one. 

It was unnecessary and we'd have been better off killing the game early in second half but I wouldn't say we were under pressure too badly before Kasper's mistake. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Solskjaer's job has probably been saved by Bruno Fernandes. He was able to bring in a world class player in January for a fee of £67m, that's not something we can do. He also inherited one of the best squads in Europe (De Gea, Rashford, Martial, Pogba etc). Also, you look at Man United's squad and resources and then you look at our's and you'd say we're overachieving and they've underachieved until now. 

True, but my point was that somehow people have been trying to compare Rodgers situation to Ole, when Ole is not on a downward projectile, regardless of the reasons.

27 minutes ago, Beechey said:

We can't afford that.

As I look at our list of record signings still on our books: £27 for Slimani, £22 for Silva, £13 for Mendy, £12.5 for Ghezzal, £12.5 for Ward. Forget Perez and Nacho not worth half their transfer price IMO. Maybe Benko could have been included. Maybe we can have a firesale to raise some funds.

Edited by NewEnglandFox

1 minute ago, Paddy. said:

The change didn't help, I won't dispute that but I can see why he made the change if he felt that Youri and the defence needed more cover and let's be honest, Nacho was poor first half. However, they weren't causing any major damage until Kasper had that absolute brain fart. That was then compounded by Caglar's complete idiocy which cost us any chance of getting back into that game. Obviously it's my opinion, but I think if Kasper doesn't make that error then we soak up that pressure, frustrate them and win the game. They were always going to put pressure on at some point and I think we'd have got through it if Kasper doesn't give them a Get Out of Jail Free card. 

Fair enough and you're very much entitled to your opinion, but we went to Bournemouth, a team fighting relegation and defended a 1-0 lead.

Unforgivable to invite the pressure upon ourselves and do half the job for them by sitting back and going defensive.