Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Brendan Rodgers

I was reading a bit in Peter Crouch's book last night. He was saying that he loved playing against Swansea when Rodgers was in charge because he insisted on his keeper passing to the fullbacks. He reckons they always won the ball off them. I wouldn't necessarily blame Kasper playing short, it's probably an instruction. 

31 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

I'd imagine Top is far more level-headed than most of our fans and won't be thinking of hauling him in for a bollocking let alone be thinking of sacking him. 

Warned about his behaviour? What's he done? He didn't **** a ball boy, he lost a game of football. Or more accurately, the players, through two acts of breath-taking stupidity lost a game of football.

Rodgers hasn't achieved anything and you think a sacking wont be considered?

We sacked a manager who won us a league title, a manager who did achieve something, and not only something, the biggest trophy in English football.

We also sacked a manager who won us 2 promotions, and at the end of a very good run of form.

Edited by Chrysalis

Guest An Sionnach
7 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I was reading a bit in Peter Crouch's book last night. He was saying that he loved playing against Swansea when Rodgers was in charge because he insisted on his keeper passing to the fullbacks. He reckons they always won the ball off them. I wouldn't necessarily blame Kasper playing short, it's probably an instruction. 

Every time Kasper booted it long we regained possession halfway down the pitch , this playing out short has got to stop , we are not Man. City. It kills me.

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Fair enough and you're very much entitled to your opinion, but we went to Bournemouth, a team fighting relegation and defended a 1-0 lead.

Unforgivable to invite the pressure upon ourselves and do half the job for them by sitting back and going defensive.

On one hand, I agree with you Mat, but on the other I can see the logic in playing a counter-attacking game in that initial period of the second half when a team who had everything to lose were always going to have to come out and attack us. Obviously Brendan got that wrong but I just think the whole 'bottle job', 'clueless' approach is embarrassingly extreme. I guess my point is that the tactic wasn't that crazy mental and might have worked if those wholly avoidable errors hadn't happened. 

• Like 1

I'm glad he's our manager, but today I'm ****ing pissed off with the bloke and his utter stupidity at 8pm last night. How is a manager being paid millions a year thinking like that? Can't remember a manager ever having such a disastrous impact on a game. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Foxin_Mad said:

There is only a few of the title winners left though - so who is the bad apple?

Kasper, Vardy, Fuchs, Morgan or Albrighton?

The club has become stale, we need a big clear out top to bottom and a manager with some balls. If Brendan cant do it get someone in who can. Like when Nige cleared out all the pathetic poor mentality shite from the Sven era, last time around.

If a player or players dont buy into the managers philosophy, then the manager needs to get rid and bring in players who do. A big summer is needed.

We need to do something very drastic here otherwise I would put good money on us being relegated next season.

Might not be one of the players tbh. I have no idea. But the rate at which things turn sour for a manager is worrying. This season may feel like a lost opportunity. But we really need to keep Bren for at least three seasons.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

On one hand, I agree with you Mat, but on the other I can see the logic in playing a counter-attacking game in that initial period of the second half when a team who had everything to lose were always going to have to come out and attack us. Obviously Brendan got that wrong but I just think the whole 'bottle job', 'clueless' approach is embarrassingly extreme. I guess my point is that the tactic wasn't that crazy mental and might have worked if those wholly avoidable errors hadn't happened. 

Likewise I do understand you and you do make some very valid points however i'm not even sure we were that expansive and positive to play a counter attacking game in the 2nd half last night.

Guest An Sionnach

Don't forget we played well in the first half , looking far better than Spurs did, I really thought a comfortable victory was a certainty and that's what makes it so infuriating. We are a good team , we are not suddenly crap but with some of Rodgers tactics we are totally disfunctional . Ban that idiot notebook I say.

31 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

The change didn't help, I won't dispute that but I can see why he made the change if he felt that Youri and the defence needed more cover and let's be honest, Nacho was poor first half. However, they weren't causing any major damage until Kasper had that absolute brain fart. That was then compounded by Caglar's complete idiocy which cost us any chance of getting back into that game. Obviously it's my opinion, but I think if Kasper doesn't make that error then we soak up that pressure, frustrate them and win the game. They were always going to put pressure on at some point and I think we'd have got through it if Kasper doesn't give them a Get Out of Jail Free card. 

You undermine your own argument with this in bold. Why did we need to soak up any pressure and frustrate them? In the first half, we were comfortable and they managed just once shot on goal just before the interval. I disagree that Iheanacho was poor, although he wasn't as sharp as he had been. But his willingness to accept and hold the ball deeper as well as posing a threat (his assist set up our goal) kept the home side occupied and put us on the front foot for the whole half. Rodgers' decision broke that and allowed them to take advantage, which is why we ultimately lost coupled with the mistakes on field. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

You undermine your own argument with this in bold. Why did we need to soak up any pressure and frustrate them? In the first half, we were comfortable and they managed just once shot on goal just before the interval. I disagree that Iheanacho was poor, although he wasn't as sharp as he had been. But his willingness to accept and hold the ball deeper as well as posing a threat (his assist set up our goal) kept the home side occupied and put us on the front foot for the whole half. Rodgers' decision broke that and allowed them to take advantage, which is why we ultimately lost coupled with the mistakes on field. 

Because they were always going to come out and attack, their futures literally depended on it...and they did. It was never going to be the cake walk it was in the first half.

Edited by Paddy.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Because they were always going to come out and attack, their futures literally depended on it...and they did.

They didn't in the first half despite us leading. We allowed them to seize the advantage and hampered ourselves in opportunities to counterattack if they did pile forward. Poor tactical call indeed by Rodgers that cost us. 

Edited by Cadno'r Cymoedd
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Because they were always going to come out and attack, their futures literally depended on it...and they did. It was never going to be the cake walk it was in the first half.

I think we're going round in circles here but the point you correctly make about them coming out and attack is why I don't get why sat back within our own half and compounded the fact by allowing them to come at us.

As I keep saying, we did (and do in most matches) half the job for the opposition. Teams can be confident of getting atleast a draw if not sneaking a win because of what we do by playing the sideways passes rarely venturing over the half way line.

The individual mistakes on the pitch led to it turning very sour last night but inviting the pressure, defending a 1-0 lead to Bournemouth. I just don't get it.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

They didn't in the first half despite us leading. We allowed them to seize the advantage and hampered ourselves in opportunities to counterattack if they did pile forward. Poor tactical call indeed by Rodgers that cost us. 

When a side like Bournemouth attack, in their position, a side like ours shouldn't be looking to soak it up. Go back at them. First half we controlled that game. I couldn't see them scoring never mind scoring four.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

Brendan Rogers contract, surely would have some stipulations within it that if he drops to a certain level in the league he can be removed without us having to pay off the entirety of his contract.

He'd certainly be thick/deluded enough to agree to that, only question is whether we were shrewd enough to insert it. It would be the only thing that would justify having offered the new deal for me.

12 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

Brendan Rogers contract, surely would have some stipulations within it that if he drops to a certain level in the league he can be removed without us having to pay off the entirety of his contract.

I doubt that he and his legal

advisors are mentally ill.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

They didn't in the first half despite us leading. We allowed them to seize the advantage and hampered ourselves opportunities to counterattack if they did pile forward. Poor tactical call indeed by Rodgers that cost us. 

No, which is why I said it was logical that they'd come out all guns blazing second half, Eddie was always going to give them a rocket after a first half that poor, that's why he made two substitutions. As I said in my previous post, it's really not that outrageous a call from Rodgers as Nacho did very little in that first half. Is Rodgers blameless? No he's not. Is it a questionable tactical change, maybe. Is that a horrifically myopic tactical change? In my opinion no. The errors from the Kasper and Cags cost us the game more than that tactical switch. We were 1-0 up and riding the storm when Kasper decided to throw it full pelt at Wilf's arse.

I'm disappointed, I'm angry but I just think the wailing and screaming is all a bit silly. 

21 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

I don't think those stipulations have ever been in any manager's contract ever mate. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

On reflection now I’ve had time to calm down I 100% agree with this and now have understood Rodgers changes at half time.

It was only going to be matter of time till Bournemouth got into top gear and come onto us.

Brendan foreseen it get more defensive minded players on and wanted us to sit back, be solid, contain possession inside our own half, there was no need to go on and attack further, just defend the 1-0 lead.

If he hadn’t of done Bournemouth would have just pushed us back and it’d have been even more calamitous.

I’m not having any of these negative claims thrown at Brendan. He did what was right. The players let him down last night..

Only a matter of time before Bournemouth got in top gear!? They’re not Man City! They are a poor poor team, who are bereft of confidence and the sub at half time allowed them to regain confidence by not having to worry about us attacking them. 

He gave them the luxury to relax and that defeat is on Rodgers. 

of course we had individual mistakes but we could all see what was happening before Schmeichels mistake. The game had already turned and we were on the back foot.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, hackneyfox said:

I've seen this numerous times now, we made just one change at half time.

I think the other questionable substitute was when through no fault of Rodgers, Albrighton had to go off. With James and Albrighton you could see logic and an intent to attack where possible. To replace that with a centre half/makeshift right back teaming up with another right back against a poor team you should be attacking defies logic. Any one of either Gray, Barnes, moving Perez over and bringing Praet on would have made far more sense. Then taking Iheanacho off of all players was ludicrous, unambitious and a sign that Rodgers head needs a good shake. Whilst Schmeichel held his hands up at the end of the game, fair play to him. For Rodgers to not even see his blunder, one of many made in the relegation form his team are in is the height of arrogance. He's merely on repeat mode from Liverpool and what was starting to happen at Celtic.  He thinks he's mini Mourhino but without any achievements to back it up. He's been a manager for around 12 years now, he's not an up and coming manager anymore who can be excused. He's on big boy wages now and needs to produce. 

29 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

Doubt any manager signs up to that, especially one already in work at a reasonably big club. 

4 minutes ago, frany104 said:

Only a matter of time before Bournemouth got in top gear!? They’re not Man City! They are a poor poor team, who are bereft of confidence and the sub at half time allowed them to regain confidence by not having to worry about us attacking them. 

He gave them the luxury to relax and that defeat is on Rodgers. 

of course we had individual mistakes but we could all see what was happening before Schmeichels mistake. The game had already turned and we were on the back foot.

Whoosh.