Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Luke55

Ayoze Perez

8 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I think for a while there haven't really been many other options. I think Perez is OK as an option off the bench but that's as far as I'd go. I was a little sceptical of the fee we paid at the time but I thought he'd be better than he has been.

I never really rated him at Newcastle but I think he’s ok since seeing him regular for us. His close control is really good, he made Justin’s goal yesterday with it.

I think we struggle on the right and Perez has been “doing a job” there but he’s not forward enough or inside enough for me.

2 hours ago, Hales said:

I thought that too 😔 I did notice Praet looking a lot happier though. I always thought he came across as quiet and tended to stand back a bit but he seems a lot more happy and chatty and chuffed his mate Timmy has arrived 😁

Yeah the delight in the Belgian trios faces while chatting to each other was a joy to see :blush:

Madders looks rather lost without his buddy... got to wonder how much these things influence on-pitch performance (probably a lot)

5 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I usually like your posts but can’t agree with this. I think he was involved in two of our goals?

He wasn’t poor and as others have said, our pattern of play went haywire for a time after he was subbed

Clever player is Pérez imo. Shame he’s so lightweight 

He did do well for the 3rd goal, a nice bit of footwork and a ball that did eventually find Justin, but I thought other than that he was pretty hopeless to be honest and my gripe isn't so much just yesterday, I'm talking the majority of his games. He will do the odd nice lay-off, pass or turn, but there aren't enough redeeming factors to him, I've never known a player have so many shots blocked due to dithering on actually taking the shot. He's not the worst player I've seen and I think the fact I identify him as a weak link is a sign of how far we've come, but he's easily the most replaceable of that XI we named against Burnley for me, he just has too few redeeming factors, no real pace, no real trickery, not a great deal of creativity, really a bit disappointed with him and thought he'd be a little better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

He did do well for the 3rd goal, a nice bit of footwork and a ball that did eventually find Justin, but I thought other than that he was pretty hopeless to be honest and my gripe isn't so much just yesterday, I'm talking the majority of his games. He will do the odd nice lay-off, pass or turn, but there aren't enough redeeming factors to him, I've never known a player have so many shots blocked due to dithering on actually taking the shot. He's not the worst player I've seen and I think the fact I identify him as a weak link is a sign of how far we've come, but he's easily the most replaceable of that XI we named against Burnley for me, he just has too few redeeming factors, no real pace, no real trickery, not a great deal of creativity, really a bit disappointed with him and thought he'd be a little better.

I have to agree with all that but let's be honest, Justin's goal did not come from precision thought out passing like Barnes's was, it was far more luck than judgement. It was a hit and hope pass into a general area after a peice of out of control meanderings which nine times out of ten would lead to Perez either losing the ball or him hitting it against an opposition players legs. He flatters to deceive and far too often is given the benefit of the doubt by genuine supporters that are willing him to do well. It's sad, he tries hard, but is woeful and adds little nevertheless. The law of averages, after all the playing minutes he has had is bound to occasionally and inevitably lead him to complete a pass or score a goal, even Akinbyi scored one day for us!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I have to agree with all that but let's be honest, Justin's goal did not come from precision thought out passing like Barnes's was, it was far more luck than judgement. It was a hit and hope pass into a general area after a peice of out of control meanderings which nine times out of ten would lead to Perez either losing the ball or him hitting it against an opposition players legs. He flatters to deceive and far too often is given the benefit of the doubt by genuine supporters that are willing him to do well. It's sad, he tries hard, but is woeful and adds little nevertheless. The law of averages, after all the playing minutes he has had is bound to occasionally and inevitably lead him to complete a pass or score a goal, even Akinbyi scored one day for us!

When you manage to put 3 defenders on their arse in the opposition penalty area you create chaos 

which leads to goals. You may not rate him but give credit where it's due.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

Well done, Ayoze, after only 2 games you have now been awarded FT scapegoat of the year for 2020 to 2021. Be proud of your achievement as you are in accomplished company. Other winners include Ben Chilwell, Richie Wellens. You've beaten off all of the competition early, including James Maddison. Wear your crown with dignity and pride.

It didn’t take long did it...

:appl:

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Justin's goal did not come from precision thought out passing like Barnes's was, it was far more luck than judgement. It was a hit and hope pass into a general area after a piece of out of control meanderings which nine times out of ten would lead to Perez either losing the ball or him hitting it against an opposition players legs.

I'm sorry fella, this is just the ultimate in the 'yeah but' style of justification for a point of view.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Spiritwalker said:

When you manage to put 3 defenders on their arse in the opposition penalty area you create chaos 

which leads to goals. You may not rate him but give credit where it's due.

I think if you watch the replay on YouTube,  no defenders 'fell on there arses' and when Perez finally kicks the ball,  it canons off one if not two Burnley defenders before trickling to Justin. Obviously I'm over the moon we scored but let's not rewrite history just to try and prove a fact that doesn't exist. Albeit there was an initial good cut back by Perez, the rest was more by luck than judgement. 

13 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'm sorry fella, this is just the ultimate in the 'yeah but' style of justification for a point of view.

Yes I understand what you're saying and I don't disagree, you're absolutely right, but it led on I believe from a previous point and posts. I'm merely suggesting that people see what they want to see (me included in fairness). All supporters, including me would want to see Perez come good, it's in all our interests really. However, I just feel that for all the game time he's had, it's just not happened for him and we have other players, like Iheanacho for example, that I believe that if given the same amount of game time, would have been far more productive. If Under turns out to be even half the winger we expect then I think Perez is very surplus to requirements now. He's not a winger in fairness and as for playing behind Vardy, I'd have Maddison, Iheanacho, Barnes or Tielemans there before him, so ineffectual do I think he is.

• Thanks 1

Said it b4... but will say it again.  It looks line too much trading is team skills and fitness... then looking at tactics and girnatiins for sat. Where is the personal training where players work on their own weaknesses.  Imo perez needs to be stronger... look ar hiw utd buikdvupper body strength in thrirvyoung forwards... then look at how easily perez is shuvedbiff the ball.    Yet we are seeing mo progress on this.  If I was his dad I wiykdvtekl him to sort it... he has the other attruvutes... he just needs more strength. If he can sort this he would be worth 50mil.

I say keep and strengthen him

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Yes I understand what you're saying and I don't disagree, you're absolutely right, but it led on I believe from a previous point and posts. I'm merely suggesting that people see what they want to see (me included in fairness). All supporters, including me would want to see Perez come good, it's in all our interests really. However, I just feel that for all the game time he's had, it's just not happened for him and we have other players, like Iheanacho for example, that I believe that if given the same amount of game time, would have been far more productive. If Under turns out to be even half the winger we expect then I think Perez is very surplus to requirements now. He's not a winger in fairness and as for playing behind Vardy, I'd have Maddison, Iheanacho, Barnes or Tielemans there before him, so ineffectual do I think he is.

All fair points. I myself have wondered elsewhere that he might not become so much 'surplus' as 'excellent cover but no longer first choice'.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Col city fan said:

I usually like your posts but can’t agree with this. I think he was involved in two of our goals?

He wasn’t poor and as others have said, our pattern of play went haywire for a time after he was subbed

Clever player is Pérez imo. Shame he’s so lightweight 

...yeah...thought at the time it was not the right time to pull him off!!!

He was on top of his game and had just contributed to a goal and was then pulled. Rodgers seems to want to introduce a swap on 60 minutes instead of reading the game and extending the substitution when appropriate.

Perez was rightfully not happy when asked to come off and probably in fear of losing his place.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

Said it b4... but will say it again.  It looks line too much trading is team skills and fitness... then looking at tactics and girnatiins for sat. Where is the personal training where players work on their own weaknesses.  Imo perez needs to be stronger... look ar hiw utd buikdvupper body strength in thrirvyoung forwards... then look at how easily perez is shuvedbiff the ball.    Yet we are seeing mo progress on this.  If I was his dad I wiykdvtekl him to sort it... he has the other attruvutes... he just needs more strength. If he can sort this he would be worth 50mil.

I say keep and strengthen him

I think you make a very good point and it's very frustrating to see. He clearly has skills, yet he's so easily brushed off the ball of weak in the challenge. Unless you're exceptional at dribbling like Marhez for example, you have to improve upon your weak points surely. I don't mean become musclebound to the extent that you lose pace but more core strength training. I know off another club for example that would send certain of their players to outside MMA fitness and strength training for such things.

13 hours ago, MGLCFC said:

Well done, Ayoze, after only 2 games you have now been awarded FT scapegoat of the year for 2020 to 2021. Be proud of your achievement as you are in accomplished company. Other winners include Ben Chilwell, Richie Wellens. You've beaten off all of the competition early, including James Maddison. Wear your crown with dignity and pride.

Even more impressively he's done it with the team having a 100% win record and sitting top of the league. He's setting new standards for the prize that will be hard to beat.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

He's a bit like okazaki but he can dribble, pass, score and assist.

A big upgrade on our favourite defensive striker. I think he had the highest amount of tackles for a forward player while at Newcastle as well.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think you make a very good point and it's very frustrating to see. He clearly has skills, yet he's so easily brushed off the ball of weak in the challenge. Unless you're exceptional at dribbling like Marhez for example, you have to improve upon your weak points surely. I don't mean become musclebound to the extent that you lose pace but more core strength training. I know off another club for example that would send certain of their players to outside MMA fitness and strength training for such things.

...I don't notice the lack of strength when he is in or around the box, he shields the ball well and his feet are quick enough to outwit a defender!!!

He wasn't what I wanted when he came in and I suppose we were all looking for the Right Winger that can cut inside, he is not that player nor was he ever likely to fulfill that role but he does contribute to the team and going central competing with Madders or second striker will see he contribute at a higher level for the team.

• Like 2

I see Perez as a versatile and hard working squad player, but not an attacking player that will worry opposition defences too much. He doesn’t get me out of my seat, but he shows some neat touches at times and based on last term, he can make a decent(ish) contribution over the course of a season.

If this is tantamount to me “scapegoating” him, then so be it. I am just stating what I see with him. My slight negativity is probably exaggerated because I think Kelechi did a lot last season to earn more of a chance and seems not to be given the same opportunities. I believe in earning your chances and being treated fairly when you have earned it on the merit of performances. 

2 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I don't notice the lack of strength when he is in or around the box, he shields the ball well and his feet are quick enough to outwit a defender!!!

He wasn't what I wanted when he came in and I suppose we were all looking for the Right Winger that can cut inside, he is not that player nor was he ever likely to fulfill that role but he does contribute to the team and going central competing with Madders or second striker will see he contribute at a higher level for the team.

I think Perez is a decent squad player, he's not someone who I think could or should play every week in a team who are perennialy going to challenge for top 6.

The main bone of contention with him is he's basically avery expensive squad player (second most expensive signing ever is that right?) but I guess that's not his fault.

• Like 3