Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Spudulike

Will fans be allowed down the City next season?

4 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Those asking why is football different to the protests. 

I think it’s the crowding of the concourses and the hygiene of the toilets which is the biggest problem. 

Don't forget that shouting and singing both increase the distribution of droplets. I appreciate that the game itself is outdoors but I cannot imagine many places better for transmitting the virus (probably only an indoor rock concert). Then there is the question of how many would want to go if they have to sit on their own; not sing/shout; not go with their normal friendship group/family; etc.

We’re being warned to prepare for a 2nd peak in the winter. I doubt very much the Gov. will allow fans (however few) in stadiums during this time. We need to get a lid on it and whilst we are controlling it (just) at the moment, winter will be another issue in itself. 

46 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I think it’s the crowding of the concourses and the hygiene of the toilets which is the biggest problem. 

I think the travel as well - that's the bit that would bother me the most. You know how that train can be! 

56 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Easy to impose restrictions there though, whether it be socially distanced queues, one way systems, staggered entry times etc.

12 hours ago, Sampson said:

Hopefully not.

We're nowhere near at a low enough risk for this yet.

I doubt we'll be able to see football until the 2022-23 season at the earliest.

Surely one of these vaccine trials will have been successful and rolled out before then?!

Also I've heard elsewhere there's talks of letting partial openings of stadiums (25-30% capacity) to account for social distancing. No idea how it'll work out, but all the evidence seems to show the virus is far more contagious indoors than outdoors so I'd have thought as long as stewards are able to keep smaller crowds in their designated seats it should be doable

Just an FYI in case anyone is interested.

In Perth Western Australia, a city of approx 2 million, we have 22  current cases of Covid, all from returned travellers or visitors. All cases are in isolation.

We have been pretty much free to exist in the state, but unable to leave or return (Victoria is suffering a second wave, after getting down to double digit cases they are knocking out 200+ a day now which is more than during the first wave).

This weekend is the local AFL derby (pronounced "durrby"..GAH!) which was originally scheduled for a full house 60,000 people, they sold half the tickets last week... then due to the second wave in Vic they decided to cut back to 50%. So they have scrapped all tickets and a reselling max 30,000

Just thought id mention it, as it seems unless we are fully "covidFREE" we arent going back to normal footy crowds... if your Gvt is thinking along similar lines, you wont be back before January.. and unlikely at all until season 21/22 id have thought.. although a vaccine would change everything 

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

30,000 at a BLM protest in Victoria, no proven transmission... second wave mainly due to pubs and shopping

40 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

30,000 at a BLM protest in Victoria, no proven transmission... second wave mainly due to pubs and shopping

“No proven” .... There’s no proof the virus is even air borne, but logic suggests it is, and logic suggests that 30,000 people in one place is not a good idea. 

Just now, 5waller5 said:

“No proven” .... There’s no proof the virus is even air borne, but logic suggests it is, and logic suggests that 30,000 people in one place is not a good idea. 

I was making the point that the protest was held more than a month ago and no-one who attended has been found to have passed it on at the march.

although it's pretty clear that being outdoors massively reduces the risk of virus transmission especially when weather is warm, sadly a football stadium is really tricky. If we allowed 23,000 season ticket holders in to our 32,000 stadium (I think there is zero chance of any away supporters being allowed next season), the queues to leave, and for the toilets at half time would still see you in very close proximity to others. I'm thinking of a game I went to a couple of years ago when the bloke behind kept showering me with spittle such was his anger at events on the pitch (we won!). At best we might be allowed 25%  capacity, so 8,000. I have a vulnerable son who lives in a care home, so I will keep my season ticket if I can, but can't see I can morally go to a game and still see my son. So I'm pretty much resigned to no live football until August 2021 for me, by which point I'm reasonably confident effective vaccines will be available to all of us.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Easy solution on the toilet front, issue 'dog-poop' bags (instead of clappers) and everyone can then take their 'logs' home with them after the game for disposal.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

although it's pretty clear that being outdoors massively reduces the risk of virus transmission especially when weather is warm, sadly a football stadium is really tricky. If we allowed 23,000 season ticket holders in to our 32,000 stadium (I think there is zero chance of any away supporters being allowed next season), the queues to leave, and for the toilets at half time would still see you in very close proximity to others. I'm thinking of a game I went to a couple of years ago when the bloke behind kept showering me with spittle such was his anger at events on the pitch (we won!). At best we might be allowed 25%  capacity, so 8,000. I have a vulnerable son who lives in a care home, so I will keep my season ticket if I can, but can't see I can morally go to a game and still see my son. So I'm pretty much resigned to no live football until August 2021 for me, by which point I'm reasonably confident effective vaccines will be available to all of us.

Wish all parents and people in same circumstances Would be so responsible 

much respect to you my friend 

your lad has a great pops 

I suspect it won't take very long before a few team's fans end up ruining it for everyone by congregating in the stands, rather than staying in their allotted seat. Clubs will get tired of not being able to police it and scrap reduced capacities.

Just feel like, as has been mentioned, you have to go all in or not at all, I find ballot systems freezing out thousands of fans a bit unfair, too. At least when it's behind closed doors everyone is in the same boat.

1 hour ago, ozleicester said:

I was making the point that the protest was held more than a month ago and no-one who attended has been found to have passed it on at the march.

I know .... "no proven" is way different to nobody actually passing it on though. There's also a political will to not find a link. 

They won't follow the logic that football is safe to attend because of no proof that the marches weren't infection hotspots.

Clubs haven't invested in seat coverings for a few games thry are expecting no fans for a while if you ask me. 

I can't see there being fans in the grounds for a good while yet. I'm in the camp all or nothing and if it's nothing so be it. At the end of the day there are a few more important things in life than watching live football currently. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Plus people will try to replicate their matchday routines as best as possible. I.e. visit pubs, use public transport, share cars etc. Even if severely reduced capacity is given the go ahead it seems to me there is a fundamental lack of understanding about how football fans act from those charged with making the decision on this.

2 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Surely one of these vaccine trials will have been successful and rolled out before then?!

Also I've heard elsewhere there's talks of letting partial openings of stadiums (25-30% capacity) to account for social distancing. No idea how it'll work out, but all the evidence seems to show the virus is far more contagious indoors than outdoors so I'd have thought as long as stewards are able to keep smaller crowds in their designated seats it should be doable

None of these vaccine trials are the silver bullet though. They'll likely only give either some protection or just boost the immune response.

As Arnaud Fontanet said yesterday - the chances of having a properly working vaccine before 2022 are very slim.

And the evidence continues to mount that a second wave over winter is likely.

People who still think this is all going to be over early next year are being a bit naive tbh. And people have become way too complacent over the virus.

You're not in the open outdoors in a football stadium in the middle of summer. You're in an enclosed space during winter.

No way we should be risking football crowds yet. It's just not worth it. I can't see crowds being in place until the 2022-23 season personally. I definitely be won't going to any. I think it's crazy that anyone is even considering going to a game in the next 2 years. Surely if this pandemic has taught us anything it's that our family and friends are far more important than football?

Edited by Sampson

I mentioned in another thread, its the Wycombe fans (1st ever Championship season) and Sheff Utd fans (potential European adventure) I feel sorry for here. Thank fvck we had our champions league campaign 3 seasons ago.

Those fans might not make any away trips at all next season when it could be their only campaigns for a while in the respective competitions mentioned above.

15 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Fans will be in before 2020. However it won’t be 100%. It causes it some headaches because they can’t that many fans who go down on their own? Everyone sits with their friends or family for years. 

Unless you have one of these buddy, i very much doubt it, 

617C8CA6-0F24-4539-8E9E-7948950BA768.jpeg

22 minutes ago, Sampson said:

None of these vaccine trials are the silver bullet though. They'll likely only give either some protection or just boost the immune response.

As Arnaud Fontanet said yesterday - the chances of having a properly working vaccine before 2022 are very slim.

And the evidence continues to mount that a second wave over winter is likely.

People who still think this is all going to be over early next year are being a bit naive tbh. And people have become way too complacent over the virus.

You're not in the open outdoors in a football stadium in the middle of summer. You're in an enclosed space during winter.

No way we should be risking football crowds yet. It's just not worth it. I can't see crowds being in place until the 2022-23 season personally. I definitely be won't going to any. I think it's crazy that anyone is even considering going to a game in the next 2 years. Surely if this pandemic has taught us anything it's that our family and friends are far more important than football?

Money talks though and most clubs can't afford to have no fans again next season.

When cinemas, restaurants, pubs, gyms etc are open then there is no reason why football stadiums can't open without the same level of restrictions and protocols. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, but it's in-line with every other plan to reopen after lockdown.

4 minutes ago, Ricey said:

Money talks though and most clubs can't afford to have no fans again next season.

When cinemas, restaurants, pubs, gyms etc are open then there is no reason why football stadiums can't open without the same level of restrictions and protocols. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, but it's in-line with every other plan to reopen after lockdown.

Of course there is.

The number of people going to a cafe or gym or using public transport to go there is minuscule compared to tens of thousands of people all going to watch a football match at the same time.

There's no way social distancing is going to happen properly in the concourse for example either, there just isn't the room and most people won't care anyway. People are rammed in the concourse enough as it is.

You couldn't design much more a perfect breeding ground for a virus than a football match. With the possible exception of a sweaty underground nightclub with a full  capacity of 30,000 people.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1