Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

Whatever the result you can argue it's positive for us so that's a good thing. But I'd rather be 8 points ahead of West Ham than 2 points ahead of Man Utd at this stage. I guess a draw gives us near to best of both worlds but with West Ham game in hand and playing us, that could be 1 point ahead in a couple of weeks or even ahead of us as we play Man City in between.

• Like 1

Guest bennytwohats
7 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Any result is a plus from that game, but I'd love Man U to lose.

I don’t see how United loses helps us much unless we’re in a situation where we are fighting for second spot. For me the marginal benefit of getting second over third is pretty paltry compared to possibly cementing fourth.

In that regard surely a United win or a draw is our best outcome? Or are you thinking of it playing out in some different way?

Edited by bennytwohats

I can go back and forth trying to work out which result suits us the best. But honestly I'm happy whatever happens I think it'll still feel like a good result. ManU win and we distance the chasing pack. ManU lose and yay ManU lose but bonus we have a two point gap and sit in SECOND in the table. A draw is somewhere between the two. It's all just win win. 

Edited by Hoopla10

15 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Only 4 Champions League spots up for grabs, whilst these 2 are still in Europe there’s always a chance they nick one by winning the Europa.

If that is still the way of things?

No. I think there's 5 CL places if someone finishing outside the top 4 wins CL/EL. For 4th not to qualify, both Euro trophies would have to be won by English clubs finishing outside top 4. Could happen, but pretty unlikely.

• Thanks 1

Guest bennytwohats

I think it’s fair to say that whatever else happens is been an absolutely amazing weekend for us!

Just now, Finnegan said:

Wouldn't want a draw. United are going to finish in the top four, that's near enough a fact as can be. 

We want them to win any games they have left vs 4th - 10th.

West Ham are probably the biggest concern of the chasing pack at the moment. 

Sure, but we could conceivably still finish above Man Utd in second or third. West Ham have to make up 8 points in 11 games. With a draw that's 7 points in 10 games, which is a tough ask even if they keep their form going. I would generally always prefer rivals sharing 2 points rather than one of them getting 3.

• Like 3

Just now, Sampson said:

Man United win absolutely no question.

After last season we should realise as nice as it is to finish 2nd, finishing 4th is what matters.

One of Chelsea, Spurs, West Ham and Everton can catch us and that's ok - but 2 of them cant. We need those 4 teams to drop points at every opportunity.

I know this is a very sensible point but I just can't stand Ole's smug face and as for Bruno 😡😡😡

🤷‍♀️😁

1 minute ago, Raw Dykes said:

No. I think there's 5 CL places if someone finishing outside the top 4 wins CL/EL. For 4th not to qualify, both Euro trophies would have to be won by English clubs finishing outside top 4. Could happen, but pretty unlikely.

So it also means Liverpool have to win the CL? 

Just now, Guest said:

Man Utd late winner to spark a mass brawl that leaves every member of both squads either injured or banned for the remainder of the season, please

all 11 West Ham players do their ACLs at the same time so they have to forfeit the game. All 11 Man Utd players do their ACLs leaving the pitch. Thats the dream scenario lol

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hales said:

I know this is a very sensible point but I just can't stand Ole's smug face and as for Bruno 😡😡😡

🤷‍♀️😁

Don't get me wrong, cheering on Arsenal just now made me feel woozy, but it's for the greater good!

Draw with injuries, please. I simply can't abide rooting for a club as rotten as Man Utd when a win would put them above us, sorry.

I'd honestly be cool with West Ham gatecrashing the top four as long as they don't catch us in doing so. It messes up the b*g s*x narrative even more than if we do it solo.

Edited by OntarioFox

6 minutes ago, bennytwohats said:

I don’t see how United loses helps us much unless we’re in a situation where we are fighting for second spot. For me the marginal benefit of getting second over third is pretty paltry compared to possibly cementing fourth.

In that regard surely a United win or a draw is our best outcome? Or are you thinking of it playing out in some different way?

It'd be nice to finish runners up. The glory is more important to me than being in the group stages of the champions league. Plus I hate Man U.

• Like 1

Just now, Sampson said:

After last season we should realise as nice as it is to finish 2nd, finishing 4th is what matters.

One of Chelsea, Spurs, West Ham and Everton can catch us and that's ok - but 2 of them cant. We need those 4 teams to drop points at every opportunity.

Plus we still have both West Ham and Man Utd to play so we have that in our own hands.

We need to focus on securing top 4 first so that means widening the gap on 5th right now and focusing on the possibility of 2nd after.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Guest said:

Man Utd late winner to spark a mass brawl that leaves every member of both squads either injured or banned for the remainder of the season, please

The mass brawl in matches like this (and subsequent suspensions/bans) is always the most desirable outcome.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I get it but I'm not a huge fan of looking for margins and relying on other teams to drop points to make life easier on ourselves. That's not to say I don't also struggle with doing it. I'd rather be positive and have belief in our team to fight for every position in the table we're capable of (for me that's second). In fear of stealing Mourinho words, I want to look up, not down. That being said if ManU win I'll not lose sleep over it and will see the positive in it.

4 minutes ago, shen said:

Sure, but we could conceivably still finish above Man Utd in second or third. West Ham have to make up 8 points in 11 games. With a draw that's 7 points in 10 games, which is a tough ask even if they keep their form going. I would generally always prefer rivals sharing 2 points rather than one of them getting 3.

That’s my take on it too. If we collect 3 points and our rivals drop 2 points each then we move further ahead of both of them. 

• Like 1