Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

8 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Nothing I see from Liverpool suggests to me they'll win 7 of their last 8. At home to Villa this weekend, hopefully Villa can sneak a draw.

Just because they lost away to Real Madrid doesn't mean that they won't roll over Villa and the 6 bottom half teams they still have to play.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Just because they lost away to Real Madrid doesn't mean that they won't roll over Villa and the 6 bottom half teams they still have to play.

I think Leeds will cause them the most problems, as well as that Man Utd game. They can win the other 6 games but if they don't win those 2 as well then I don't see them catching us. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

We can talk other teams all we like but if we aren't in a great position after our next 5 games then we get what we deserve. 

Quite right. It’s in our hands and ours alone. We can give CL to another team but they cannot take it from us. 

• Like 3

TAA proving Southgate correct last night, he just hasn’t got the defensive capability against top draw players. 
He’s great in a good side controlling possession, but give him any defensive duties against the best and he is useless.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I think Leeds will cause them the most problems, as well as that Man Utd game. They can win the other 6 games but if they don't win those 2 as well then I don't see them catching us. 

I think they could get past Chelsea, the honeymoon is over there and they could easily not win a game in April.

16 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

I know I'm biased but I honestly couldn't get my head around it. Maddison and Barnes have been consistently playing at a high level I the pl and europa league but they're held back because they haven't got 100 u21 caps. It's so odd.

Had Barnes not got injured he’d have been in the last squad and likely at the euros. You cannot ignore his form, his stats unless he’s had an injury which unfortunately he has. Maddison needs a similar end to the season like he had before he got injured to stand any chance. 

For us it wouldn’t be the worst thing if neither of them went. 

• Like 2

Tbh I have semi prepared myself for EL, just because of the run in. But we are doing better than last season, even with injuries.

The other thing to consider is if we finish 5th, that's STILL two top 5 finishes in a row. If you take out the miracle season, that's our best performances for decades - sure a historian will correct me. Certainly in my lifetime at least.

For a provincial club in a county most people can't even point to on a map, we have truly upset the EPL apple cart. 

• Like 1

I heard on one of the Champions League commentaries last night that the euro squads could be 25 rather than 23. Not seen that anywhere else and I don't know if it means you can have 2 spare players that can only be called up if someone gets covid or something. Might open a door for Maddison or Barnes but I still think it will be unlikely. 

Edited by RowlattsFox

18 hours ago, cruzFOX said:

Our homegrown lads have been real unlucky with the injuries. Had they been fit all 3 of JJ, Barnes and Madders would have forced they way into southgates squad. 

Never underestimate how bad Southgate is at recognising and using talent correctly. 

• Like 1

Manchester City midfielder Kevin de Bruyne has signed a new contract with the Premier League leaders that runs until 2025.

The 29-year-old Belgium international had more than two years remaining on his previous deal.

De Bruyne has won two Premier League titles, the FA Cup and the League Cup four times since joining City from Wolfsburg in the summer of 2015.

"Signing this contract was a straightforward decision," he said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56659261

23 hours ago, Hoopla10 said:

A lot pundits saying how good it is that Southgate has this headache of so much talent. But you know what, it'll also be the thing to nail him by if (when) he fails. Going into the competition after we won the league a lot was also said about English talent. Spurs and Leicester alone had some real threat and fire power. Vardy just missing out (by one goal?) from winning the PL golden boot spends a must win game (that we lose) basically on the bench!!!! I'll never forgive Southgate for that. 

Assuming you're talking about Euro 2016, Roy Hodgson was England manager...

22 minutes ago, squarez said:

Assuming you're talking about Euro 2016, Roy Hodgson was England manager...

Nah, I got the years mixed up. It was the 2018 WC, Croatia game I was thinking about. And I'm pretty sure Vardy didn't get called for the third place game against Belgium either. Kane just got played even though he wasn't very good apart from against Tunisia (or Morocco, I can't remember, North African team). Just scored a bunch of pens. It's like somebody in the English FA has ordained him as the English team's must play talisman. 

1 hour ago, Hoopla10 said:

Nah, I got the years mixed up. It was the 2018 WC, Croatia game I was thinking about. And I'm pretty sure Vardy didn't get called for the third place game against Belgium either. Kane just got played even though he wasn't very good apart from against Tunisia (or Morocco, I can't remember, North African team). Just scored a bunch of pens. It's like somebody in the English FA has ordained him as the English team's must play talisman. 

I’ve noticed that Kane seems to start tournaments well and then seems to fade. It’s almost like he doesn’t have the fitness to play so many games in succession at the end of a season. He’s a great player when in form, but has sometimes spent the latter part of tournaments not contributing. 

It’s a brave manager, however, who leaves out or substitutes a player like Kane in a must win game. I remember Taylor (?) doing something similar with Lineker and was roundly condemned went it went wrong. That sort of thing for me separates a manager who can make inspired changes to one who is just very much ‘safe’.

I’ve seen nothing inspirational about Southgate in any of his decisions to date. 

Edited by Jobyfox

17 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

I’ve noticed that Kane seems to start tournaments well and then seems to fade. It’s almost like he doesn’t have the fitness to play so many games in succession at the end of a season. He’s a great player when in form, but has sometimes spent the latter part of tournaments not contributing. 

It’s a brave manager, however, who leaves out or substitutes a player like Kane in a must win game. I remember Taylor (?) doing something similar with Linekar and was roundly condemned went it went wrong. That sort of thing for me separates a manager who can make inspired changes to one who is just very much ‘safe’.

I’ve seen nothing inspirational about Southgate in any of his decisions to date. 

Who?

Just now, KrefelderFox666 said:

Why is Middlesbrough used as a venue (COVID safe) to host some England games rather than Wembley when there could be a bigger crowd at Wembley and it is more accessible?

Won’t be at full capacity so I’m not sure it matters all that much? It’ll all be about

minimising travel etc. 

7 minutes ago, Bert said:

Won’t be at full capacity so I’m not sure it matters all that much? It’ll all be about

minimising travel etc. 

I guess the maximum allowed without special permission is 10,000 anyway, so 25% of Boro would be about 8,000 or so.

Just thought they might have used Wembley for further testing before the EURO's.

1 hour ago, Jobyfox said:

It’s a brave manager, however, who leaves out or substitutes a player like Kane in a must win game. I remember Taylor (?) doing something similar with Lineker and was roundly condemned went it went wrong. That sort of thing for me separates a manager who can make inspired changes to one who is just very much ‘safe’.

I think that's one of the unknowns if Kane ever decides to move from Spurs. He's not great against bigger teams.

I wouldn't say he should have even be subbed because he's an 99% guarantee pen' scorer. But he should have put on Vardy. If you look how Kane plays alongside somebody with pace like Song it seems like pretty easy call to have them playing together. But either way I have zero faith in him tbh.  

36 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I guess the maximum allowed without special permission is 10,000 anyway, so 25% of Boro would be about 8,000 or so.

Just thought they might have used Wembley for further testing before the EURO's.

Might be wrong but don't think they were ever using Wembley for these matches (even before covid) as Wembley is 'getting ready' to host tournament games, whatever that means. 

1 minute ago, RowlattsFox said:

Might be wrong but don't think they were ever using Wembley for these matches (even before covid) as Wembley is 'getting ready' to host tournament games, whatever that means. 

Ah, the "getting a facelift" for the big stage! I guess the country has never had to get ready for a big tournament (which I still find ridiculous).