Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

13 minutes ago, fazzyfox said:

Re the England RB situation I thought the argument for club pairings ie Walker RB and Stones RCB, Shaw LB and Maguire LCB with so little prep time for tournament, ensuring an understanding, made a lot of sense. On the other hand an inform Alexander-Arnold puts chances on a plate for Kane to attack so :dunno: . In reality it's too late in the day for much new or different to be tried, depending who's available it will look like what we've seen before from Southgate sides, I just hope a fit Grealish is there and given license to play instinctively. 

Maddison and Barnes aren't even in the debate right now....odd.

26 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

West hams run in looks pretty tame, us, Everton and Chelsea the stand out games for them. Makes Sunday huge, if they can take points from the 3 challenging games you've gotta fancy them to sneak in, but at who's expense!

They’ve still got to play WBA! 

29 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

https://youtu.be/sS1QEZgjMtc

This is an interesting watch, Neville gives actually really intelligent insight on why Trent may likely be left at home this summer and not taken to the Euros.

Obviously Carragher ruins it at the end with his inability to be impartial. 

But Neville raised the issues of how Trent is poor defensively due to his bombing down the field, which could be targeted. Really interesting watch tbf.

Neville is completely correct, in terms of defensive work only TAA is not in the top 5 English right backs. In terms of attacking out put, he is the best by a long way.

If you are picking a squad to win the tournament, not just do what England have done for years and pick the best players or the players with the biggest names and try and fit them into the team some how, then TAA stays at home. It’s harsh on Trent, but as Neville points out in a semi final against some of the best wingers in the world, who do you want at right back?

• Like 2

When will the media realise that Everton are honking? With the amount of cash they’ve been throwing around they should be in challenging the top 4 a lot more than they are. Ancelotti is a massive fraud. If he was called Carl Agnew he’d be managing Ipswich. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

When will the media realise that Everton are honking? With the amount of cash they’ve been throwing around they should be in challenging the top 4 a lot more than they are. Ancelotti is a massive fraud. If he was called Carl Agnew he’d be managing Ipswich. 

They are poor. Spent a hell of a lot of money and they are an absolute disgrace to watch. 

The way they set up against us at their place will live long in my memory, possibly the most negative home display you will ever see in the Premier League. 

• Like 1

I still can’t work out how Villa and Everton still have a game I hand, for two teams who are not in Europe and haven’t gone deep in cup competitions, how have they not found a midweek date for them to play that game in hand.

Interesting.  Is this accurate? 

If Spurs finish 7th and only qualify for the Europa Conference League, but that's enough to keep Mourinho's buyout intact …

RayLaugh.gif.d14d26a562f4e6e61aea68a588fe27dd.gif

Suddenly I'm not hoping for a complete collapse.  What would exceed the entertainment value of 2021-22 Spurs serving up not only a Jose Third Season Collapse, but also Tuesday nights away at the Moldovan Farmers Collective?

7 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Well Barnes is potentially not going to be fit ..... he was on the fringes of the debate when he was so it’s no surprise to see him discounted now.  If he storms back for the last five games then the conversation may change

and pretty much the same for madders - he has more points in the bank but unless re recovers his form (and that has to be outstanding now he’s dropped back (understandably) behind players such as lingard), he’s spending his summer on the sofa .....

2 hours ago, KingsX said:

Interesting.  Is this accurate? 

If Spurs finish 7th and only qualify for the Europa Conference League, but that's enough to keep Mourinho's buyout intact …

RayLaugh.gif.d14d26a562f4e6e61aea68a588fe27dd.gif

Suddenly I'm not hoping for a complete collapse.  What would exceed the entertainment value of 2021-22 Spurs serving up not only a Jose Third Season Collapse, but also Tuesday nights away at the Moldovan Farmers Collective?

So for Mourinho it will be massively financially worth it to win the League Cup, but they may be better off financially as a club if they lose the League Cup final. - that is of course if they want to sack Jose.

• Like 1

I think the Alexander-Arnold could be resolved if Southgate was brave enough to try him in central midfield alongside Rice. Probably too late now but should've been tried in a friendly some time. 

He has also pulled out the squad a few times and I don't think Southgate likes that. 

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

I think the Alexander-Arnold could be resolved if Southgate was brave enough to try him in central midfield alongside Rice. Probably too late now but should've been tried in a friendly some time. 

He has also pulled out the squad a few times and I don't think Southgate likes that. 

Personally think he should be in the squad, even if he isn't played every game.  Depending on the opposition, he could be a great asset for when teams are sitting deeper and we need that delivery. 

16 hours ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

They got 2 goals but wolves are actually bobbins so dreadful to watch like a Portuguese palace or Burnley manager must be on thin ice if they start next season as terribly as they've been for the majority of this one. Dreadful. 

EDIT: There used to be some bollocks here about Wolves but I was wrong lol 

Edited by AjcW
I'm an uneducated penis

11 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

https://youtu.be/sS1QEZgjMtc

This is an interesting watch, Neville gives actually really intelligent insight on why Trent may likely be left at home this summer and not taken to the Euros.

Obviously Carragher ruins it at the end with his inability to be impartial. 

But Neville raised the issues of how Trent is poor defensively due to his bombing down the field, which could be targeted. Really interesting watch tbf.

Yes but I cant help thinking this is the perennial Man Utd vs Liverpool rivalry point and Neville getting his dig in. Trent has not been at his high standards this year but he maybe coming into form in time. I certainly think he is worth a place in the squad. 

2 minutes ago, oxtonfox said:

Yes but I cant help thinking this is the perennial Man Utd vs Liverpool rivalry point and Neville getting his dig in. Trent has not been at his high standards this year but he maybe coming into form in time. I certainly think he is worth a place in the squad. 

Also the fact that he could play central midfield (given that's where most people think he'll end up and he played there in youth football) it gives you the added cover needed for tournament football.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, weller54 said:

West Ham game much much more important than the Southampton cup tie.

No. I have to disagree.  Lose next week and we're still a point ahead of them (West Ham). Then we have the run of four "winnable" games that if we can't extract a bag of points from then perhaps we're not worth the Champions League slot. 

If we lose to Southampton in the semi final I can only see that having a massive effect on the squad and perhaps then affect our performances for the rest of the season. The Southampton Cup game is a must win as any in the last 4 years. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Extra incentive for Maddison to do what he does best and make a name for himself in this final stretch of games. Got a feeling Barnes will come back and be a man possessed too.

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Extra incentive for Maddison to do what he does best and make a name for himself in this final stretch of games. Got a feeling Barnes will come back and be a man possessed too.

Honestly don't think anything Maddison does now will get him into the squad. Genuinely think Southgate has his squad decided already, and Maddison hasn't been in any in a long while.

11 minutes ago, oxtonfox said:

No. I have to disagree.  Lose next week and we're still a point ahead of them (West Ham). Then we have the run of four "winnable" games that if we can't extract a bag of points from then perhaps we're not worth the Champions League slot. 

If we lose to Southampton in the semi final I can only see that having a massive effect on the squad and perhaps then affect our performances for the rest of the season. The Southampton Cup game is a must win as any in the last 4 years. 

Let's just win both games then.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Honestly don't think anything Maddison does now will get him into the squad. Genuinely think Southgate has his squad decided already, and Maddison hasn't been in any in a long while.

You're probably right but Maddison won't be thinking like that. He's got a platform to try and win the FA Cup and get CL qualification and all the exposure and hype that comes with that. He'll possibly make the 1st cut of the squad when he names 30 players that will then get cut to 23 so he'll then need to take any chance he gets from the off. 

2 hours ago, oxtonfox said:

Spurs and Chelsea thought they had winnable games against Newcastle and WBA!..

Beating West Ham would be a huge step in securing CL football..

Beating Southampton just means a meeting with Manchester City in the final.... I'll look forward to that 😂😂!!!!

• Like 1

The whole TAA thing is the reason I do not watch England. Any other country in the world would have him starting every game. His ability with the ball is unsurpassable by another player in his position.

However because he’s not as good defensively as he is offensively by comparison (he’s still very good), the English mindset is ‘oh a right backs top attributes needs to be defending’. It’s important but it’s not the overriding factor. TAA is a game winner, he can produce a bit of magic which could change a game against the top terms. Can Reece James or Walker say the same?

Roberto Carlos was world class full back not because of his defensive work but because he could by one piece of skill provide an assist or goal which others couldn’t. If Carlos was English in the 90’s he’d probably be benched for Pearce. We haven’t changed since 

Edited by Staffs Fox