Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

Another nonsense handball at Selhurst Park. Football is so shit now isn't it. It's genuinely just boring at this point. 90% of the game, in this country in-particular is just about handballs. I mean at least the government's piss poor handling of COVID can be blamed on how unprecedented the situation is. What's footballs excuse for this nonsense?

It's laughable, you watch more and more games and wonder how anyone takes it seriously. They've made such a mess of the rules.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, MPH said:

how can you restart the game once the whistle has gone. Is the final whistle no longer the final whistle? Makes no sense at all

The rule is that something can be reviewed  if it happened immediately before the halftime/final whistle, I mean it makes sense to allow a check to happen that would have happened at any other point in the game. Tbf Kavannagh messed up cos he's only supposed to blow once and put his finger to his ear but I can't see how people think a check shouldn't take place just cos it happened right at the end.

Just now, Kopfkino said:

The rule is that something can be reviewed  if it happened immediately before the halftime/final whistle, I mean it makes sense to allow a check to happen that would have happened at any other point in the game. Tbf Kavannagh messed up cos he's only supposed to blow once and put his finger to his ear but I can't see how people think a check shouldn't take place just cos it happened right at the end.

ya this is a semantics-ish argument.  The final whistle has gone you can't go back!!!  Lol, yes you can.  Why couldn't you?  It's one of those things that if they WEREN'T allowed to do it, and something like that happened, people would flip out.

The real issue is where the extra 1 minute-ish of time came from before Maguire corner, and also that it wasn't even a corner to begin with.

Just now, Dan LCFC said:

Another nonsense handball at Selhurst Park. Football is so shit now isn't it. It's genuinely just boring at this point. 90% of the game, in this country in-particular is just about handballs. I mean at least the government's piss poor handling of COVID can be blamed on how unprecedented the situation is. What's footballs excuse for this nonsense?

It's laughable, you watch more and more games and wonder how anyone takes it seriously. They've made such a mess of the rules.

They're taking the fun out of the game. Of course it's serious and can influence promotions/title wins/relegations (imo if you're pinning your hopes on a VAR decision RE Bournemouth and Villa's "ghost goal" then you deserve to go down for being in that position over the course of a season anyway) but the interesting and fun side of the game is dying out. It's so pedantic and for me it wasn't brought in for this. But overall decisions are still inconsistent and always will be because, like I've always said, it's still a shit ref making a decision but this time he's just sat behind a screen.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Another issue is that you can't change it throughout the season, we've got to stick with it until May.

The desire to get virtually everything right is leading to this.

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

They're taking the fun out of the game. Of course it's serious and can influence promotions/title wins/relegations (imo if you're pinning your hopes on a VAR decision RE Bournemouth and Villa's "ghost goal" then you deserve to go down for being in that position over the course of a season anyway) but the interesting and fun side of the game is dying out. It's so pedantic and for me it wasn't brought in for this. But overall decisions are still inconsistent and always will be because, like I've always said, it's still a shit ref making a decision but this time he's just sat behind a screen.

Just now, Corky said:

Another issue is that you can't change it throughout the season, we've got to stick with it until May.

The desire to get virtually everything right is leading to this.

The whole thing is just so against the spirit of the game. How do people genuinely think this is good for the game?

The fact they keep changing it every year just proves how clueless they are. Is the end goal for football to be about refereeing decisions? It will always play a part but it's playing far too big a part now. The introduction of VAR has taken it to a sickening level.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bats8711 said:

I can't see how they don't play the clip full speed when reviewing for VAR.

Just about to say that, no way you look at this at normal speed and call it a handball.

Slowing it down should only happen to decide it it touched the hand. The rest should be normal speed.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, seanfox778 said:

I like Clive Tyldesley and Ally McCoist as a commentator duo, feels like a World Cup game. 

I liked his intro at the beginning of the game where he was telling you about the sound options 

“you can listen to crowd noise or if you want to listen to the natural noise and listen to millionaires swear at each other that is also an option”

3 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

The whole thing is just so against the spirit of the game. How do people genuinely think this is good for the game?

The fact they keep changing it every year just proves how clueless they are. Is the end goal for football to be about refereeing decisions? It will always play a part but it's playing far too big a part now. The introduction of VAR has taken it to a sickening level.

It's not but then VAR was never going to be universally successful or popular in a sport where players are encouraged to bend rules and gain unfair advantages. It will clear up some errors but subjective decisions will still occur.

As I've said before, I don't have huge sympathy for the clubs and managers who pushed for the technology. The fact is, nobody has come out after a match in which their side benefitted from an incorrect decision and said "I'd sacrifice that goal which won the game for the right decision", but they are straight out to claim decisions cost seasons and jobs. We're having to put up with this because people could not accept decisions going against them, wanting those corrected and ignoring the possibility that they've be hit by the reverse situation.

Time now for everyone to decide what they want- VAR or no VAR. The game will adapt, we've all got on with it for 140 years without technology, people do get over bad decisions but the short-termist nature has lead to this.

Just now, Corky said:

It's not but then VAR was never going to be universally successful or popular in a sport where players are encouraged to bend rules and gain unfair advantages. It will clear up some errors but subjective decisions will still occur.

As I've said before, I don't have huge sympathy for the clubs and managers who pushed for the technology. The fact is, nobody has come out after a match in which their side benefitted from an incorrect decision and said "I'd sacrifice that goal which won the game for the right decision", but they are straight out to claim decisions cost seasons and jobs. We're having to put up with this because people could not accept decisions going against them, wanting those corrected and ignoring the possibility that they've be hit by the reverse situation.

Time now for everyone to decide what they want- VAR or no VAR. The game will adapt, we've all got on with it for 140 years without technology, people do get over bad decisions but the short-termist nature has lead to this.

I wanted VAR mainly to prevent officials from handing man united ridiculous victories... But apparently, VAR doesn't stop that.

9 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

I for one think the football over the last couple of weeks has made for sensational viewing. I don’t get the whole narrative that the game has been ruined, it’s more exciting than ever!

VAR does add drama, premier League football is better on TV but in the stadium itself it has took something away.

31 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

It’s not that people don’t think a check should happen near the end it’s that he blew the final whistle. except it’s no longer the final whistle now, apparently.