Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

1 minute ago, ARTY_FOX said:

I guess if you're going with the T-shirt line that they've implemented then that part of his arm? 

Looking at the picture Bugg posted, isn't he level with the defender next to him?

Just now, Corky said:

Looking at the picture Bugg posted, isn't he level with the defender next to him?

No. Granted I zoomed in because I'm on my phone and it's too small to tell, but it isn't level with Keane. 

Looks worse with the thicker lines too, we know that. But off is off :dunno: if they didn't go into depth with it we wouldn't have had nachos winner vs Everton last year for example. 

• Like 1

VAR needs binning. I'm embarrassed to say I was an initial advocate of VAR and I'm sure in the right hands it could be used for the good but clearly whoever is making the decisions (overall rules and second to second gameplay) they're all muppets. I'm not even sure how the pen' wasn't given as he didn't look offside. And Pickford should have walked. It's just a carcrash of mistakes. 

Looking forward to listening to Leicester play next.... oh no that's right we get bumped to Sunday evening so the broadcasters can milk the fans for all they're worth. This game is slowly going to pot... speaking of which.  

10 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

The problem isn't that it's a nose-hair offside. I actually don't have a problem with those ones. The problem is that it's not offside full stop. Look at the stills of that ffs, state of those lines.

Right. Offside is offside. Even if it’s just by a little.  Where do you draw the line? The actual line - that’s where you draw the line. If half of your foot is offside then so be it. The issue is I would like to actually see that it’s offside. These lines don’t do that

1 minute ago, Bats8711 said:

Right. Offside is offside. Even if it’s just by a little.  Where do you draw the line? The actual line - that’s where you draw the line. If half of your foot is offside then so be it. The issue is I would like to actually see that it’s offside. These lines don’t do that

But they do - the red line is either in front or behind the blue one ......the question I have is when they freeze the frame ....when is the ball actually played ?  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bats8711 said:

If they took the suggestion of making the lines wider then it would be noticeable at least. Which is what we all want. 

• Like 1

Just now, st albans fox said:

But they do - the red line is either in front or behind the blue one ......the question I have is when they freeze the frame ....when is the ball actually played ?  

Exactly. It can't be mm accurate.

13 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Shoulder apparently due to the new handball rule

But his shoulder wasn’t off. The most you could argue would be his elbow, and he cannot score with that.

Don’t particularly care LiVARpool, and to be fair they’ve gotten more than their fair share of VAR favors, but they were robbed today (starting from the Pickford non-call).

Why is this particular decision being bemoaned more than the million similar ones last season? Just because the one angle we saw made Mane look level? 

Unless its an incorrect drawing of lines or technology failure, then that's a separate (worse) issue. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

If the freeze is consistent across every single check then that’s ok but how would you do that ??. 

You can't. You'd have to take frames per second and relative speed of movement between the defender and attacker into account - let alone when you determine the pass as being made. It's crazy - this wasn't how VAR was sold to us.. Today it has missed a clear and obvious red card and given 2 barely detectable offside decisions.

4 minutes ago, martyn said:

Why is this particular decision being bemoaned more than the million similar ones last season? Just because the one angle we saw made Mane look level? 

Unless its an incorrect drawing of lines or technology failure, then that's a separate (worse) issue. 

It is Liverpool on BT Sport. They'll always make a bigger deal out of it.

Their meltdown is glorious.

• Like 4

Genuinely think they should have markers in their gps vests (That they use for tracking movement anyway) and a set distance inputted to go off for offsides to avoid the issue of arms/legs etc. Will still be close calls but if you can input the same distance, it could be a fairer system.

5 minutes ago, Bats8711 said:

Lol what? Wider? That’s the opposite of what I want. Those lines should be razor thin.

Don't see how razor thin stops the 'games gone' brigade. If anything it exacerbates the problem - the mirage of technical perfection which can't happen when the technology is controlled by humans. 

If the lines were a fair bit thicker (the equivalent a football's width seems too wide, but along those lines) the rule could change such that if the lines overlapped it wasn't offside

Personally I don't think we even need lines. We just have to be sensible about it. They should just freeze frame, look and if it looks off then it's off, if it's too close then give the attacking player the benefit of the doubt. The problem has always been MOTD, or live TV get camera angles and people would see (without these lines) that the linesperson made a clear mistake and constantly moan about it. They weren't getting these rulers out and defining it to the slightest of millimetre, the mistakes would be a foot off and so clearly wrong. The problem it strikes me is that the people who make the rules want to remove ALL element of subjective ruling. It's why we saw that stupid handball rule last season.

• Like 3