Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

2 minutes ago, Shane said:

Look close in line with the CB , did var check it? 

THIS is the problem with VAR. the commentators will breeze by it: “and it looks like the initial check is complete” but there’s no way they actually got to the point they drew lines, it would have taken longer (and also wouldn’t they show it? If not why not? Surely if they show the real time var review with lines etc they should do it every time?)  how can a cursory glance at a replay of that goal definitively tell you that’s onside?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bats8711 said:

See - I think what you suggest exacerbates the problem. How does giving a margin of error do anything to solve the current issue? You’d have close decisions where the width or allowance barely does or does not overlap and you still have the core issue which is how / where they draw the lines. 

Also - wow they really breezed through that last Chelsea goal. The one view I saw (not the one pictured above) looked very close. Certainly enough to see some lines drawn. 

There is a margin for error though.   VAR uses a frame rate of 50fps. So regardless of the speed the players are moving they can't be mm accurate on when the ball leaves the foot of the passer. EG - if the ball is moving at 5 m/s (only 11 mph) then it will travel 10cm in one frame. So in this case the accuracy is 10cm. That's not taking into account players moving. It is not as black and white as people claim. Someone might want to check my maths though.

Edited by trabuch
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bats8711 said:

See - I think what you suggest exacerbates the problem. How does giving a margin of error do anything to solve the current issue? You’d have close decisions where the width or allowance barely does or does not overlap and you still have the core issue which is how / where they draw the lines. 

The suggestion isn't aimed at absolute accuracy. As I say, I think that aim is part of the problem, because it's not realistic when there's human involvement.

Instead, it's aimed at returning to the idea of the benefit of the doubt going to the attacker. So, reducing the number of offsides given in general, and trying to make sure the ones given are as close as non-contentious as possible.

For the sake of argument, use a football's width* as the equivalent line width. Even with the 'worst' (i.e. tightest) possible call where VAR gave offside, you would effectively be saying that the player was still 'a football's width minus a littlle bit' offside. That, instead of what currently is akin to splitting hairs. The hair-splitting with wider lines doesn't make as much difference.

* I know repeated use of the word 'football' instead of 'ball' seems clumsy/pedantic. It's almost entirely a function of my own lack of maturity that I don't want to invoke the phrase 'a balls' width' into what is a deadly serious discussion about marginal offside decisions

• Like 1

Just now, surrifox said:

Someone explain to Frankie that he really does need to get to chapter 2 of “Football management for dummies “ and look at the bit about organising a defence and investing in goalkeepers

I’d prefer nobody explain it to him

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

The suggestion isn't aimed at absolute accuracy. As I say, I think that aim is part of the problem, because it's not realistic when there's human involvement.

Instead, it's aimed at returning to the idea of the benefit of the doubt going to the attacker. So, reducing the number of offsides given in general, and trying to make sure the ones given are as close as non-contentious as possible.

For the sake of argument, use a football's width* as the equivalent line width. Even with the 'worst' (i.e. tightest) possible call where VAR gave offside, you would effectively be saying that the player was still 'a football's width minus a littlle bit' offside. That, instead of what currently is akin to splitting hairs. The hair-splitting with wider lines doesn't make as much difference.

* I know repeated use of the word 'football' instead of 'ball' seems clumsy/pedantic. It's almost entirely a function of my own lack of maturity that I don't want to invoke the phrase 'a balls' width' into what is a deadly serious discussion about marginal offside decisions

A balls width would definitely be preferable to the pubes width they currently use! Bit big though. The above post about frames per second equating to 10cm definitely sounds too big and with the technology available they should definitely be doing better there. 

You can't judge it on a gnats gnacker if the video gives 10cm margin for error. 

Who cares though. Chelsea and Liverpool have both had shit results as well as Everton dropping points. That'll do for me. 

Edited by gw_leics772

Sky really are spoiling us with Sherwood and Merson. Mangling of the English language mixed in with Merson screaming "OH OH AGH WOAH" when a throw in is given and Sherwood shouting at the TV- "COR FACKIN ELL WORRA SHAAAMBULLS CHEWLSEE, SAFAMPTUN BRILYUNT JEFF!"

Bring back Tiss.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, gw_leics772 said:

A balls width would definitely be preferable to the pubes width they currently use! Bit big though. The above post about frames per second equating to 10cm definitely sounds too big and with the technology available they should definitely be doing better there. 

You can't judge it on a gnats gnacker if the video gives 10cm margin for error. 

Who cares though. Chelsea and Liverpool have both had shit results as well as Everton dropping points. That'll do for me. 

I knew my late addition of 'almost' before 'entirely' in my footnote would be warranted!

As I said in my OP, half the width or some such might work. Just enough to allow the timing of the VAR image to be a frame off with no real harm done

I honestly don't care that much either. Certainly less bothered by the actuall calls than the bedshitting about them. Anything that reduces the latter would be smashing

2 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Can't put my finger on why but Geoff Shreeves really irritates me.

It's because he's irritating. 

Asks pointless questions. "Is your victory in the FA Cup going to influence your preparation for this game?" Er.... Yeah obviously you daft twat. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bats8711 said:

Lol what? Wider? That’s the opposite of what I want. Those lines should be razor thin.

No the idea is that the line for the defender is wider so that they introduce a small margin to make it clear and visible that he's off. If they overlap then it's onside. At least you'd be able to clearly see the offside rather than it being microscopic and having to trust the technology and framing being perfect. 

• Like 1

I think eventually we will go the way of the NFL. They have a margin for error of about 3 inches. It will be annoying when someone gets a goal when they look offside but it will be better for the sport once we all get used to it.