Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

They chose to sell Lovren, however disliked he was, which reduced their options. Rodgers did exactly the right thing in keeping Morgan and Fuchs around, plus moving JJ into the centre of a three.

Klopp is a world class manager, he'll find a way.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Corky said:

They chose to sell Lovren, however disliked he was, which reduced their options. Rodgers did exactly the right thing in keeping Morgan and Fuchs around, plus moving JJ into the centre of a three.

Klopp is a world class manager, he'll find a way.

Well theyll just go and spent 70mil on a central defender in January 

It’s incredible that Liverpool saw Manchester City’s defence fall apart last season after adopting a policy of having just 3 senior centre backs and having a Brazilian defensive midfielder fill in as an emergency option and thought they’d do exactly the same thing this year and they’d be fine.

Two of the many smart things Rodgers has done this season are a) to keep some fringe players around for another season to lessen the injury burden and b) to scale back the intensity of our play to accommodate the extra fixtures.

One of the key reasons for Liverpool wanting 5 subs is that their style of play - which Klopp seems understandably reluctant to compromise on - involves a ridiculously high level of intensity for 90 minutes. You can’t play like that twice a week for 8 months without people getting injured.

Somebody posted an article on here a few months ago that predicted Liverpool to be ravaged with injuries this season because they've basically been playing above a normal threshold for 2 years (Something to do with caffeine, no cheating or anything), I think it said that the club are more or less putting success above the players long term well being. At the time I dismissed it but it would be a bloody good read now lol - anyone got it? or know what I'm on about?

Cant wait for Vardy to score a hattrick against them. Can just see Klopp's interview. "Its not fair for us to be missing players. Look, Leicester, great team, great coach but they should've dropped more players today to make it fair. We cant have this continuing."

Get over it man, everyone has injuries and you've got to be creative in your approach to games this season. 

• Like 1

This thread proves what I said when PPV was announced, the plan would teach people how to use alternatives, and after that sky and co will be in trouble.

Haha when I wrote this reply was reading page 272, so apologies if the subject changed ages ago. :)

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ttfn said:

It’s incredible that Liverpool saw Manchester City’s defence fall apart last season after adopting a policy of having just 3 senior centre backs and having a Brazilian defensive midfielder fill in as an emergency option and thought they’d do exactly the same thing this year and they’d be fine.

Two of the many smart things Rodgers has done this season are a) to keep some fringe players around for another season to lessen the injury burden and b) to scale back the intensity of our play to accommodate the extra fixtures.

One of the key reasons for Liverpool wanting 5 subs is that their style of play - which Klopp seems understandably reluctant to compromise on - involves a ridiculously high level of intensity for 90 minutes. You can’t play like that twice a week for 8 months without people getting injured.

This is why I feel like Leicester and Spurs are dark horses for the title. We are a surprise because we've changed our style of play which is effective at grinding out results whilst keeping intensity of play down. That Wolves game might not go down as a classic, but grinding out a 1-0 win like that against a very good team could be pivotal come the end of the season. Spurs have that lethal front 3 but most importantly Mourinho who usually plays counter attacking / grindy football himself. It's kind of crazy saying this as it makes me feel like I've jumped into a time machine and it's 2016 all over again!

I have a feeling the eventual winners might just be the team that over the course of the season had the fewest injuries / covid positive tests to key players, and they sort of win it almost by default. Thing are already looking bad for Liverpool and even Man City to an extent, but I can see them having even more injuries come the end of January. 

One thing that doesn't seem to have been mentioned much in the injury talk is missing pre-season.

You might not think it would cause that many issues but the NFL is similarly experiencing very high levels of injuries across the board too, and their fixtures are the same number over the same period of time. Not having pre-season has had a serious impact.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

One thing that doesn't seem to have been mentioned much in the injury talk is missing pre-season.

You might not think it would cause that many issues but the NFL is similarly experiencing very high levels of injuries across the board too, and their fixtures are the same number over the same period of time. Not having pre-season has had a serious impact.

and missing a six week rest to re charge the batteries …..with the original lockdown and then the four week lead in to the restart the players are all putting their bodies through a regime that they never have before . 

3 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Cant wait for Vardy to score a hattrick against them. Can just see Klopp's interview. "Its not fair for us to be missing players. Look, Leicester, great team, great coach but they should've dropped more players today to make it fair. We cant have this continuing."

Get over it man, everyone has injuries and you've got to be creative in your approach to games this season. 

All penos as well :cool:

Edited by ALC Fox

2 minutes ago, ALC Fox said:

All penos as well :cool:

Hope that Vardy has spent some time practicing his penalty technique during the break. He seems to have lost that placement he found with the first few to now giving the keeper a chance. I'd actually be more confident with Youri at the moment. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jack1993 said:

Somebody posted an article on here a few months ago that predicted Liverpool to be ravaged with injuries this season because they've basically been playing above a normal threshold for 2 years (Something to do with caffeine, no cheating or anything), I think it said that the club are more or less putting success above the players long term well being. At the time I dismissed it but it would be a bloody good read now lol - anyone got it? or know what I'm on about?

http://backpagefootball.com/why-liverpool-wont-win-the-premier-league-this-season/126313/

Is this the article you meant? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Are the morons who were questioning our "Training Methods" etc still moaning about it now? 

Like I said in numerous other threads, anyone questioning Brendan/Science departments for our injuries needs to look at the bigger picture. It's really not that difficult to understand why the club has sustained so many injuries this season. Players are not robots. 

The amount of games and short timespans with us being in Europe is obviously the reason, as proven for many other clubs this season. The injury lists for a lot of clubs at the moment is quite frankly ridiculous. 

Could that be why we struggled the season after, with an even busier schedule to boot. 

Obviously Ranieri changed the system, but was there a deeper issue why? 

Of course there was the gamble on some signings and we lost Kanté. We were never going to win it again, but the league drop off was staggering. 

1 minute ago, Leeds Fox said:

Could that be why we struggled the season after, with an even busier schedule to boot. 

Obviously Ranieri changed the system, but was there a deeper issue why? 

Of course there was the gamble on some signings and we lost Kanté. We were never going to win it again, but the league drop off was staggering. 

Lots of things, really. Losing Kante was huge as he was such a big part of the way we played. I think Ranieri tried to prioritise the Champions League early in the season and we had some awful results and never really recovered. Players maybe believed the hype and felt they were untouchable. There's no doubt they stopped playing after New Year until he left, we didn't score for six games and didn't look like it either.

It was totally unacceptable until the end of February, one of the worst campaigns I've seen given the quality of the players. They should've been low top-half at least, not 18th at any point.

• Like 2