Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

21 hours ago, Walkers said:

Grealish is just one of those players, like Van Dijk, where commentators/fans etc gush over the simplest of things they do. No doubting they're good players but its just a bit draining to have to listen to

Defo, I watched and heard the commentators gush over him when he popped two simple passes to players who were surrounded by 3-4 Belgium players. He keeps on going deep as well to collect the ball where he’s useless. I saw him do one good run where he was brought down just outside the box. Other than that he held on the ball way too long and hardly created anything. Media making out he was unplayable but he played exactly how the Belgium players expected.

I think he’s a decent player but no where near as many people do in this country.

18 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Rather Grealish than Maddison in England, its better for our club that way.

Hmmm, not sure about that.

Given that most everyone agrees that Southgate has a big club bias then wouldn't that make him want a move?

Playing for their country can only increase the confidence of our players - and it is a confidence sport

21 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm more annoyed he's chinned Ross Barkley off for daring to go in search of first team football and finding some form not seen since his breakout year at Everton. 

I can't say I'm annoyed as I don't even bother watching England games until it's tournament football, but I think it is one of the more bizarre decisions Southgate has made. Especially considering how many times Barkley has made the squad in poorer bouts of form.

22 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm more annoyed he's chinned Ross Barkley off for daring to go in search of first team football and finding some form not seen since his breakout year at Everton. 

It's been the same with quite a  few players, Andros Townsend used to get more England time than tottenham, as soon as he went to Newcastle and Palace and playing regularly he didn't get a look in for England.

3 hours ago, Frank Large's Black Book said:

Given that most everyone agrees that Southgate has a big club bias then wouldn't that make him want a move?

Playing for their country can only increase the confidence of our players - and it is a confidence sport

Out of curiosity where could Madison move at the moment? Chelsea, Man C, Liverpool, spurs and united are all covered in his area. 

Arsenal may be the only team that need someone like him but they are publicly pursuing Aouar. 

Realistically we might be be able to keep Madison for a long while. 

4 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Out of curiosity where could Madison move at the moment? Chelsea, Man C, Liverpool, spurs and united are all covered in his area. 

Arsenal may be the only team that need someone like him but they are publicly pursuing Aouar. 

he's English - some of those clubs would sell their player in his position if they thought madders was as good as what they have. and there is also money - madders will move for a big salary increase and less playing time ………. these guys have huge confidence in their ability and would expect to become the no 1 at whatever club they were.  

49 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

he's English - some of those clubs would sell their player in his position if they thought madders was as good as what they have. and there is also money - madders will move for a big salary increase and less playing time ………. these guys have huge confidence in their ability and would expect to become the no 1 at whatever club they were.  

The money I agree with, but these clubs wont sell the players. He's either benched or playing out of position. 

United is still the most likely imo, but he wont be top of their list. He's on more money than he could have dreamed of back when he was playing for Cov or even Norwich, seems a level headed guy id be very disappointed if he'd move to a club with no clear first team football. 

I also think for the ammount of money we'd ask for him, even these clubs wouldnt pay it for someone who's not going straight in the first 11. I think it would take something mad, like real madrid taking Debruyne or Fernandes to even be an option. 

Young, english, as technically gifted as weve ever had.. id be shocked if we considered anything less than maguire

23 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

I suppose everyone’s entitled to their opinion but Grealish was more of our only hope last night from what I saw than our hinderance.

The lack of pace surrounding him to slip those in once defenders were committed to stopping him dribbling was more the downfall in my eyes. 

Like you say, you can be the best dribbler in the world and the ball does move a lot faster than anyone can run with it, but what’s the point passing to feet every time for Kane and Mount to lose possession?

I’m sure if there was some pace leading the line or out wide Grealish would’ve fashioned a few more chances for us guys but it came to the point where it was too static and he was well within his rights to start taking people on and try make something out of nothing, cuz none of the other dossers had a clue on what to do either. 

Watching England feels like watching the transition of us from Ranieri, to Shakespeare to Puel.

There is some neat passing here and there, but the lack of movement in the final third is almost criminal.  No attackers looking to run beyond the defence, no one making themselves available, nothing other than trying to get the ball wide occasionally and aimlessly get it in the box. 

I watch Leicester now and how Rodgers has us playing, and I do think we have transitioned into something that this England squad could easily replicate. The talent is there in England, but the application or Coaching really isnt.

6 hours ago, Frank Large's Black Book said:

Been tapped up on England duty will make him want to move more.

2 hours ago, Greg2607 said:

Watching England feels like watching the transition of us from Ranieri, to Shakespeare to Puel.

There is some neat passing here and there, but the lack of movement in the final third is almost criminal.  No attackers looking to run beyond the defence, no one making themselves available, nothing other than trying to get the ball wide occasionally and aimlessly get it in the box. 

I watch Leicester now and how Rodgers has us playing, and I do think we have transitioned into something that this England squad could easily replicate. The talent is there in England, but the application or Coaching really isnt.

I don’t think that is true though.

Our squad, aside Vardy(whose all aging so is anomaly), all our most genuine world class talent is foreign.

Forfana, Ricardo, Ndidi etc all quality players. Whilst Barnes, Albrighton and Hamza are decent players, they arnt that level or near.

English media pipes up our players to deludedly believe we have some world great players, when we simply don’t.

Kane is a very good striker, Sterling is a very good players, Grealish quite talented but let’s be honest, they are not a touch on most of the elite nations in Europe.

The media are very powerful in making people believe things that simply aren’t true.

3 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

38 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

Been tapped up on England duty will make him want to move more.

So, he's going to be tapped up by teams that don't want him or need him😄

Just joshing chaps, you use perfectly reasoned arguments which only goes to prove I wouldn't like the job of any of the our management team.

Only in a heartbeat

• Like 1

I’d love for us to do it again just because the social media faceless virgin accounts are so much more rife than 2016.

Got so many of those weird kids on strings with that league table post lol 

9430065D-5DC9-4B65-8E68-0F776C9C01ED.jpeg

• Like 1

So the schedule this weekend has no more than one game at a time, running through Monday evening.

Are the games being shown non-PPV in the UK?

In the US, all games are available from one of NBCSN, NBC, or Peacock streaming.  I am lucky that my Comcast service includes Peacock at no additional cost (at least for the moment; color me suspicious about whether this will last).

1 minute ago, lnkstern said:

So the schedule this weekend has no more than one game at a time, running through Monday evening.

In the US, all games are available from one of NBCSN, NBC, or Peacock streaming.  I am lucky that my Comcast service includes Peacock at no additional cost (at least for the moment; color me suspicious about whether this will last).

Yep PPV is scrapped til new year at least.

Games on Sky and BT as normal. BBC have Fulham vs Everton on Sunday.

19 hours ago, lnkstern said:

Don't get too smug, it's not like you have a choice to go with another ISP over there. :ph34r:

On 17/11/2020 at 10:42, jmono84 said:

Defo, I watched and heard the commentators gush over him when he popped two simple passes to players who were surrounded by 3-4 Belgium players. He keeps on going deep as well to collect the ball where he’s useless. I saw him do one good run where he was brought down just outside the box. Other than that he held on the ball way too long and hardly created anything. Media making out he was unplayable but he played exactly how the Belgium players expected.

I think he’s a decent player but no where near as many people do in this country.

Love him or loathe him I think part of the attraction with Grealish is he's a bit of a throw back, particularly in an English sense. England just don't seem to produce players like him anymore, individuals. Yes he holds onto the ball too long at times, yes he can be greedy, yes he sometimes drops too deep and tries to do it all but that's what makes him great to watch, he plays off the cuff in a day in age where most players are so robotic. He's one of the few players nowadays I'd pay the admission money alone to watch as he tries things and gets you on the edge of your seat in that you think somethng can happen when he picks up the ball.

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson
  • Like 4

On 17/11/2020 at 14:33, Lambert09 said:

He needs to start showing the form of 12-18 months ago on a regular basis, for a season at least before the top teams will even have him on ther radar again imo.

Edited by Muzzy_Larsson

1 hour ago, squarez said:

Don't get too smug, it's not like you have a choice to go with another ISP over there. :ph34r:

Well, we do have ISP options; Comcast and Centurylink (DSL) at a minimum.  The Comcast package is a bit pricey, but it works for me (Internet, Cable TV, VOIP phone).

So what are the ISP options in the UK like?  I truly do not know what options you have.

34 minutes ago, lnkstern said:

Well, we do have ISP options; Comcast and Centurylink (DSL) at a minimum.  The Comcast package is a bit pricey, but it works for me (Internet, Cable TV, VOIP phone).

So what are the ISP options in the UK like?  I truly do not know what options you have.

My understanding was that ISPs are basically local monopolies over there which is why you guys pay so much for relatively low speeds.

Over here the lines are owned by a semi-public company called Openreach who are legally required to lease the lines at a fixed rate to any ISP who wants to provide internet service so we get the pick of dozens of competing ISPs.

But we're risking getting off topic so, errr, have you noticed that Liverpool have lots of injuries at the moment? Crazy.

4 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I'm usually the first to be cynical about celebrities with skin deep charitable posing but it doesn't strike me that that's what Rashford is doing at all to be fair. Seems like an idealistic kid that actually has his heart in his community. Good on him really. 

He's still a diving little **** on the pitch like. 

He actually seems better off the pitch than on it. Seriously over rated player imo. Blows hot and cold. 

Im sure I’ll be in the minority though 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, squarez said:

My understanding was that ISPs are basically local monopolies over there which is why you guys pay so much for relatively low speeds.

Over here the lines are owned by a semi-public company called Openreach who are legally required to lease the lines at a fixed rate to any ISP who wants to provide internet service so we get the pick of dozens of competing ISPs.

But we're risking getting off topic so, errr, have you noticed that Liverpool have lots of injuries at the moment? Crazy.

It is true the last mile connection is often (probably even most often) owned by a corporation.  In my town Comcast owns the coax to my house, and Centurylink owns the phone cable.

There are towns/cities that have municipal-owned internet-access infrastructure (e.g. my home town of Chattanooga TN) but that situation is not common.  In fact, my town in Colorado prohibits local government competition with commercial internet service providers.

And yes, Liverpool have injuries, woe is them.  I have sympathy, but not a large amount, as we are in a similar situation.

• Like 1