Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

Just been listening to the Guardian Football Weekly podcast. It's normally pretty well informed compared to most of the media. But there was some Scouse chap on there this week saying that Leicester could challenge the top 4 provided they "don't have too many injuries". Clearly having up to 5 nailed on first teamers out injured for many games this season and still being top hasn't done enough to convince him of the depth of our squad. So many of these people just know nothing about clubs outside of the so called big 6.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Just been listening to the Guardian Football Weekly podcast. It's normally pretty well informed compared to most of the media. But there was some Scouse chap on there this week saying that Leicester could challenge the top 4 provided they "don't have too many injuries". Clearly having up to 5 nailed on first teamers out injured for many games this season and still being top hasn't done enough to convince him of the depth of our squad. So many of these people just know nothing about clubs outside of the so called big 6.

Eh we've done well with what we have but we wont challenge for top 4 if we keep on getting injuries, only way we can finish there if we're still in the mix early on AND have our keys players come back without having any other injuries to our other players, for example if soyuncu/ndidi/ricardo come back but fofana/vardy/tielemans pick up an injury in the meantime we wont be capable of challenging for top 4 imo, top 6/7 at best so i understand what he means.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Eh we've done well with what we have but we wont challenge for top 4 if we keep on getting injuries, only way we can finish there if we're still in the mix early on AND have our keys players come back without having any other injuries to our other players, for example if soyuncu/ndidi/ricardo come back but fofana/vardy/tielemans pick up an injury in the meantime we wont be capable of challenging for top 4 imo, top 6/7 at best so i understand what he means.

You could make a case that applies to any club. I think the point here is the pundit thinks that LCFC will suffer more than others as the squad is inferior without taking into consideration the real situation. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

for example if soyuncu/ndidi/ricardo come back but fofana/vardy/tielemans pick up an injury in the meantime we wont be capable of challenging for top 4 imo, top 6/7 at best so i understand what he means.

Also an interesting 'would you rather' question

14 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

5 of his 8 have been penalties but I don't think it's too much different to last season where he would often score multiple goals in big wins that had he not scored as many we still would have won. 

Remember we are playing 2 games a week, we have injuries to key players that otherwise enable us to be better at creating chances (Ndidi free's up Tielemans and Maddison and Castagne and Ricardo are the dogs tom walls) and the run of tough opposition where in previous years we have seldom had a good result against.

I am relieved we are for now at least putting last seasons slump behind us and showing that we can adapt as well as being a bit more Street wise and mentally stronger than we showed last season.

Absolutely I'm really pleased the team has reacted the way they have, I'm just worried about how every game is a harsh grind, and it does feel a little like we're skating on thin ice. The attitude of the players and manager cannot be called into question though, they've got stuck in brilliantly.

All I'm saying is that I won't expect this level of results to continue, even though I'm very pleased with it.

12 hours ago, MPH said:

and yet this year we are doing great. Conclusion- form isn’t to do with injuries.

Injuries can affect form !  

in our case we have managed to retain our form even though we are missing top players but eventually injuries will affect us.

Beating this Liverpool team will go a loooong way in making up for the collapse last season. I think we can do it. On our day we are one hell of a team! Besides no better motivation than to remember last season. Foxes can do it and then we can really start talking about being title contenders. Managing our injuries and grinding out consistent performances will be key. COYF! :scarf:

18 hours ago, st albans fox said:

jose always speaks for a reason - here, its to take a swipe at arsenal by listing them behind us ……...ergo, the spuds fans love him even more …..

Isn't he just listing the teams that have won the Premier League ahead of Spurs... 

18 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Mourinho is being clever there with his mind games, like he's always done. I like Jose. Shame he's at Spurs.

I love having Mourinho in the Premier League. I think he'll be missed as "the sort of character you don't get anymore" when he retires.

Wouldn't want him anywhere near my team, though.

• Like 2

Different players entirely, we know Maddison is a 10 who plays between the lines of midfield and attack whereas Bellingham is an old fashioned box to box midfielder,

Think it’s too soon for him but England’s CM options are thin. I’m biased as I’d rather watch paint dry than England play but glad Barnes and Maddison get a weeks rest. 

3 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

They've called up Bellingham to the senior squad over the likes of Maddison?

Wow... I know these are only Nations League games, but that is Walcott 2006 level of premature call-up. 

Is he really already next in line?

11 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I would argue that it is absolutely one of the factors that influences form. It's not definitive, but injuries have plenty of influence on form. There's so many examples of it over the years.

11 hours ago, gurru991 said:

Injuries can affect form !  

in our case we have managed to retain our form even though we are missing top players but eventually injuries will affect us.

I think individuals can have their form effected by form for sure.

what effects a teams ability to deal with injuries is in part the depth of their squad but how well trained the team are, how well the incoming squad member  knows his role and  how the coaching staff have trained and prepared him.

thomas and James are not in the same league as castagne and Ricardo. Big Wes doesn’t have the same physical presence or speed as Cags any more and  Iheanacho isn’t as good as Vardy  and i personally do not think Mendy is as good as n’didi but he HAS done exceptionally well. but all these players have come in and done very well.. because they’ve been trained well, maintained their match fitness and and know exactly what was expected of them and have been well prepared in what they needed to do.

can we keep this up for 20 more games? i doubt it but i don’t think that’s what we are talking here... after 8 league games we are top and also top of our europa league game. we have played back to back games for almost a month now.

we are without  our 4 best players and have only just had maddison and Vardy back... our manager and coaches deserve all the credit for this.

• Like 1