Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

15 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

So number of games is not a time span? 

Number of games is a time span of course, but a time span on it's own tells you nothing meaningful about the stat in question. 

"Kane hasn't scored for England for a year"

"Kane hasn't scored for England for 5 games" 

Both are correct. One is very misleading. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Annoys me no end when people use time span in stats, rather than number of games. 

Commentators that do this is a real bug bare of mine . Two teams might have been in different leagues for 49 seasons, "Its 50 years since Brentford last beat Arsenal at home " I mean its correct but hardly a fair stat .;)

Edited by los dedos
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, los dedos said:

Commentators that do this is a real bug bare of mine . Two teams might have been in different leagues for 49 seasons, "Its 50 years since Brentford last beat Arsenal at home " I mean its correct but hardly a far stat .;)

The other one is when a team has lots of european away days and they talk about all the travel in terms of miles, rather than time. 

Unless they're running between stadiums then it's the time spent traveling and how that affects training opportunities that matters, not the distance travelled!

Edited by Les-TA-Jon
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, brucey said:

:ph34r:

16FE9887-D3FE-41CC-A889-327CC164953E.png

The Arsenal one is so Arsenal

Interesting to see Man U fans are quite low on the list despite their impressive post lockdown form, maybe they saw it as papering over the cracks and foresaw how things would pan out this season - early days I know though.

Looks like the money men are going to bully five subs into existence

I maintain if it comes in it will stay and be the death of a competitive league beyond about five subs

city won 10 of 12 with five subs I think liverpool only lost to city and fellow super rich club arsenal with five subs. no wonder their so keen.

23 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Calling it now. He'll turn up, 34 or whatever years old, having clearly had a season in Spain this year that shows he's in decline, to a Man City side that's in decline and when he doesn't immediately win a bunch of games single handedly and show his like 2010 best its going to be "see we told you he'd never cut it in England" and "well Ronaldo scored more here" and "see this is the best league in the world it's easy doing it in Spain" etc. 

I almost wish he wasn't coming to be honest, cos he probably is now let's be honest. 

But he's so far past his prime it's going to be pointless but all the absolute knuckle draggers and boring wind up merchants will overlook that just to try and pretend they were right all along. 

It'll be insufferable. 

One thing to note is that the benchmark for proper greatness in the Prem is less than in La Liga.

If he comes here and scores 20-25 goals (one of his worst ever seasons) he will still look the business. Smiilar to Ronaldo putting those kind of number up in Italy.

2 hours ago, twister said:

Looks like the money men are going to bully five subs into existence

I maintain if it comes in it will stay and be the death of a competitive league beyond about five subs

city won 10 of 12 with five subs I think liverpool only lost to city and fellow super rich club arsenal with five subs. no wonder their so keen.

Not sure what all the fuss is about, tbh.

I'm old enough to remember when we switched from having one sub to three; football seemed to survive just fine.

8 hours ago, Buce said:

I'm old enough to remember when we switched from having one sub to three; football seemed to survive just fine.

You don't think that potentially stopping the game ten times for substitutions is somewhat excessive?

I don't really understand the rationale behind five subs now. Last season it made sense as players were less likely to be as fit following the break, but this season they've got the fitness. If it's to avoid injuries then managers just need to rotate better, and maybe have an emergency sub you can use if a player has to go off injured once 3 subs are already made.

16 hours ago, Buce said:

Agreed. Look how many subs Hitler had and he still got fuched. 

If say the additional 2 subs had to be under 20, this would at least help develop the younger players at each Club and help reduce the 'Sky Darlings' advantage of having  much better squads' than the 14 underling make-weight Teams.

BT skip over so many glaring things when talking about players. They're bigging Kante up as having most interceptions in this season so far. Ignoring the fact players like Wilf, Ricardo are injured and players such as Rico, Lerma and Biling who were all high up aren't playing or in the league