Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

3 hours ago, The Bear said:

We had all this nonsense about Nuno leaving to join Arsenal when they sacked Unai Emery. Ultimately the fans of such a club think they are better than certain things, and no doubt the majority of them will look at Rodgers and say "he failed at Liverpool, why would WE want him?", with the kind of arrogance and lack of self awareness that you only find on threads about the fittest girls in the world - "6/10 would definitely not bang."

And to be honest the vast majority of that is fuelled by the media bigging up certain clubs and players and constantly focusing their content on them. It's no wonder fans of those clubs get a heightened sense of entitlement. 

----------------------------

This post is dedicated to @majaco and his continued support :thumbup:

I will always remember Kevin Campbell’s argument for why Hector Bellerin is a better player then Ricardo Pereira.

”If Pereira is so good, why does he play at Leicester.”

Excellently summed up the stupidity of some Arsenal fans. A good player is a good player wherever he plays, this is an ex-pro trying to ridicule a player who would instantly improve their side (when fit) just because he didn’t want to admit Leicester had better players. 

19 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

I will always remember Kevin Campbell’s argument for why Hector Bellerin is a better player then Ricardo Pereira.

”If Pereira is so good, why does he play at Leicester.”

Excellently summed up the stupidity of some Arsenal fans. A good player is a good player wherever he plays, this is an ex-pro trying to ridicule a player who would instantly improve their side (when fit) just because he didn’t want to admit Leicester had better players. 

I can remember Robbie savages argument as to why we couldn’t win the league in 2016, ‘we hadn’t bought any £30m players not realising we had players like Vardy, mahrez, drinkwater, Kante who had all become £30m+ players.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

When I first came across aftv I genuinely thought it was a spoof and he was a spurs fan on the wind up. lol 

I could see why you'd think that with the fella that wears the arsenal clothing shop and the blud famalam guy but tbf to the main guy, he isnt that bad. 

4 hours ago, ARTY_FOX said:

I could see why you'd think that with the fella that wears the arsenal clothing shop and the blud famalam guy but tbf to the main guy, he isnt that bad. 

The main guy actually talks sense, seems to be a realist which annoys all the others lol

only been watching recently because of how funny it is with arsenal losing pretty much every match. 

2 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

The main guy actually talks sense, seems to be a realist which annoys all the others lol

only been watching recently because of how funny it is with arsenal losing pretty much every match. 

Yea, I've watched a few this season, he doesn't really go OTT and calls the others out on their bias but maybe thats just the pound notes in his eyes talking lol

16 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Does whoever wins the League Cup make a difference to the European spots?

If a team already in Europe wins it an extra Europa league place opens up.

At present: top 4 get champions league

5 Europa League

League cup: Europa League

Fa Cup Europa League

So if Brentford were to win the League Cup and a bottom half PL team say Arsenal win the FA cup, 6th would not get a Europa League spot.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

If a team already in Europe wins it an extra Europa league place opens up.

At present: top 4 get champions league

5 Europa League

League cup: Europa League

Fa Cup Europa League

So if Brentford were to win the League Cup and a bottom half PL team say Arsenal win the FA cup, 6th would not get a Europa League spot.

You’ve not factored in the new European competition. (To be fair, can’t be arsed to Google it).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ARTY_FOX said:

To be fair the main bloke is very good. I think it was the way he would seem to always ask the question that would get them raging and then would just stand there quietly holding the mic as they went off on one with what always looked like a near smile on his face. 

3 minutes ago, Vlad the Fox said:

To be fair the main bloke is very good. I think it was the way he would seem to always ask the question that would get them raging and then would just stand there quietly holding the mic as they went off on one with what always looked like a near smile on his face. 

Cant blame him, he was probably counting the money in his head lol

• Like 1

On 30/11/2020 at 13:28, davieG said:

Anyone see a future for football that ends up more like the rules for 5 a-side with no balls above head height, all played on the deck?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55433140

Heading might not exist in football in 10 to 15 years time because of the risks involved, former Tottenham and Hull midfielder Ryan Mason says.

Mason, capped once by England, had to retire from football after fracturing his skull playing for Hull in 2017.

A recent study showed that footballers are three and a half times more likely to suffer from dementia.

"It wouldn't surprise me in 10 to 15 years if heading wasn't involved in the game," Mason, 29, told BBC Sport.

Ex-players call for government to review possible link between heading and dementia
"The research and the momentum it's getting, I think it's probably going to open up a lot more stuff that becomes quite shocking.

"I'm not sure footballers are fully aware of the potential damage. This is where the more research, the more understanding, the more education current players get, the better.

"It might even get to a point where you might need to sign something to say that I'm OK [playing with the risk].

"It really is concerning. The problem we have is you don't know the effects until you get later on in life."

The Field study, conducted by neuropathologist Dr Willie Stewart, found that footballers were more likely to suffer from dementia and other brain injury diseases, but has not established whether it was caused by concussions from collisions or repeatedly heading the ball.

The family of 1966 World Cup winner Nobby Stiles, who was diagnosed with a brain condition linked to repeated blows to the head, believe heading caused his dementia before he died in October.

Changes have already been made to how often children are allowed to head the ball, but there are also concerns about how head injuries have been treated in football.

Former Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen said earlier this month that he felt the effects of a concussion for nine months after he tried to play on during a Champions League match two seasons ago.

Mason, who said he was "lucky to be alive" after his clash of heads with former Chelsea defender Gary Cahill, found Vertonghen's story "quite shocking".

And he questions why football has opted for trials of permanent concussion substitutions rather than temporary ones seen in rugby union.

From January, teams will be allowed to use two additional permanent substitutes to allow for head injuries. But there has been criticism of that move from Stewart and brain charity Headway, who believe that temporary substitutions are a better alternative.

That process allows a substitute to come on the field immediately, allowing a doctor 10 minutes to make an assessment rather than the permanent option, where the decision is made in a shorter period of time.

The temporary option has flaws, according to Football Association head of medicine Charlotte Cowie, as players can sometimes still be allowed to return to play after a longer assessment.

But Mason, who is now coaching at Tottenham's academy, says the permanent option adds more "pressure" to the decision.

"Why [is football] not following something that is in place and has worked?" he said.

"Rugby has a protocol in place that gives the players, the team and the individual the opportunity to go off to be tested by an independent doctor away from the pitch where there isn't pressure from the manager to get the player back on the pitch - or pressure [from the stands] when the fans are back."

10 minutes ago, davieG said:

Heading might not exist in football in 10 to 15 years time because of the risks involved, former Tottenham and Hull midfielder Ryan Mason says.

Mason, capped once by England, had to retire from football after fracturing his skull playing for Hull in 2017.

A recent study showed that footballers are three and a half times more likely to suffer from dementia.

"It wouldn't surprise me in 10 to 15 years if heading wasn't involved in the game," Mason, 29, told BBC Sport.

Ex-players call for government to review possible link between heading and dementia
"The research and the momentum it's getting, I think it's probably going to open up a lot more stuff that becomes quite shocking.

"I'm not sure footballers are fully aware of the potential damage. This is where the more research, the more understanding, the more education current players get, the better.

"It might even get to a point where you might need to sign something to say that I'm OK [playing with the risk].

"It really is concerning. The problem we have is you don't know the effects until you get later on in life."

The Field study, conducted by neuropathologist Dr Willie Stewart, found that footballers were more likely to suffer from dementia and other brain injury diseases, but has not established whether it was caused by concussions from collisions or repeatedly heading the ball.

The family of 1966 World Cup winner Nobby Stiles, who was diagnosed with a brain condition linked to repeated blows to the head, believe heading caused his dementia before he died in October.

Changes have already been made to how often children are allowed to head the ball, but there are also concerns about how head injuries have been treated in football.

Former Tottenham defender Jan Vertonghen said earlier this month that he felt the effects of a concussion for nine months after he tried to play on during a Champions League match two seasons ago.

Mason, who said he was "lucky to be alive" after his clash of heads with former Chelsea defender Gary Cahill, found Vertonghen's story "quite shocking".

And he questions why football has opted for trials of permanent concussion substitutions rather than temporary ones seen in rugby union.

From January, teams will be allowed to use two additional permanent substitutes to allow for head injuries. But there has been criticism of that move from Stewart and brain charity Headway, who believe that temporary substitutions are a better alternative.

That process allows a substitute to come on the field immediately, allowing a doctor 10 minutes to make an assessment rather than the permanent option, where the decision is made in a shorter period of time.

The temporary option has flaws, according to Football Association head of medicine Charlotte Cowie, as players can sometimes still be allowed to return to play after a longer assessment.

But Mason, who is now coaching at Tottenham's academy, says the permanent option adds more "pressure" to the decision.

"Why [is football] not following something that is in place and has worked?" he said.

"Rugby has a protocol in place that gives the players, the team and the individual the opportunity to go off to be tested by an independent doctor away from the pitch where there isn't pressure from the manager to get the player back on the pitch - or pressure [from the stands] when the fans are back."

Rather than heading the ball could it be a collision or series of that causes it, balls are soft these days

12 minutes ago, davieG said:

I’m Certain if heading was going to be outlawed then some sort of headband would be introduced to the game and worn by players that would reduce any impact to head. 

• Like 1