Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

Worth checking this out:

https://understat.com/league/EPL/2020

Shows the league table based on expected goals as well as the actual standings.

Everton, Man Utd (unsurprisingly), and Southampton have been the jammiest sides this season. 

Tottenham were over performing their expected goals but recent results have meant they've started to revert to the mean, and Southampton have had a bit of a dip in results. Everton have a good chance of not maintaining their pace as unlikely they would continue to overperform their expected results to such an extent. I suspect Man Utd are less likely to have issues given how many refereeing decisions go in their favour - VAR was a huge factor in them finishing 3rd in the previous season. 

Interestingly, Villa's points total is about where it should be, reinforcing that they are a very decent side and deserve to be where they are. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

One thing I will say on Villa - what a deal they've pulled off with Martinez. 

So calm and commanding of his box, I'm really not sure what Arsenal have done in letting him go. Leno is not a patch on this guy and in my mind, this could explain part of the Gunners decline.

Leno is a very good keeper. Find it mad that this fella slipped under the radar for so long though. Every time I saw him for Arsenal last season he looked class.

Very astute buy by Villa 

2 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Chelsea have lost 3 of their last five (Arsenal, Wolves, Everton) and drawn at home with Villa. Plenty of #LampardOut on social media.

Spurs last 4 PL games - 2 draws, 2 defeats. Drawn with Wolves and Palace, lost to Liverpool and us.

Man City have drawn with WBA, West Ham and Leeds this season and lost to us.

Liverpool got smashed 7-2 at Villa and drew with WBA, Brighton and Fulham.

Villa have lost to Brighton, Leeds, Southampton and West Ham and drawn with Burnley.

Man Utd lost at home to Palace and got dicked 6-1 by Spurs.

It's an extraordinary PL season and that gives a bit of context. We're doing damn well despite all the injuries.

For all the points we should have won, but didn't,  as it stands, we are second. Which, given the injuries to key players we have had, is amazing. I am expecting a healthier squad in the second half of the year. This could be a special season.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Maybe he has more perspective about the real importance of football in overall terms than most of us on here?

I would assume that his salary was doubled when he went to Chelsea?

That’s the biggest reason he’d have moved

Do people still not get that most players don’t give a shite who they are playing for, as long as they are getting paid more than they did at the last club.

Any romantic notion that players want to play for clubs like Leicester is just in the heads of the fans.

Edited by Col city fan

I don't know if it's Terry who is making them like this or whether Dean Smith teams have always been little snide shits but Villa definitely have something about them, whether it be winning free kicks all the time (not just Grealish, the centre back Konsa is one of the worst for going down easily), they're in the refs ears all the time, cynical when they need to be. But also playing with plenty of quality. There was talk of us signing McGinn at one point and I wish we did now. 

But so far they've benefited from no injuries, played the same team every game and they've played less than everyone else. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

I don't know if it's Terry who is making them like this or whether Dean Smith teams have always been little snide shits but Villa definitely have something about them, whether it be winning free kicks all the time (not just Grealish, the centre back Konsa is one of the worst for going down easily), they're in the refs ears all the time, cynical when they need to be. But also playing with plenty of quality. There was talk of us signing McGinn at one point and I wish we did now. 

But so far they've benefited from no injuries, played the same team every game and they've played less than everyone else. 

Think you’re spot on with your observations here but can’t quite work out the point, do you think it’s good they’re like this or bad? 

I think Terry is having a lot of influence and will make an excellent manager. Interesting the approach he’s taken, learning from someone experienced, rather than diving in like Lampard and Gerrard. 

McGinn is an excellent player, no idea how they kept hold of him, he was tipped to be one of Ollies first signings at United! 

12 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Think you’re spot on with your observations here but can’t quite work out the point, do you think it’s good they’re like this or bad? 

I think Terry is having a lot of influence and will make an excellent manager. Interesting the approach he’s taken, learning from someone experienced, rather than diving in like Lampard and Gerrard. 

McGinn is an excellent player, no idea how they kept hold of him, he was tipped to be one of Ollies first signings at United! 

It's good for them, it's the modern way and good teams have that part of the game nailed down. Makes them incredibly dislikeable though lol

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lcfc_forever said:

Interestingly, Villa's points total is about where it should be, reinforcing that they are a very decent side and deserve to be where they are. 

They have the added "Craig Shakespeare factor"

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

Wouldn't surprise me to have a delay of a month. Issue is then Euro 2021 and UEFA. 

That’s the issue, I think it will go ahead regardless, they will just expect the leagues to work around it, but I definitely see a full stop happening next month, the media are ramping up the stories so the inevitable is around the corner. 

Timo Werner is another classic case not to judge midfielders/wingers on purely assist. But chances created instead. Ozil in 15/16 created shed load of chances on a plate fkr Giroud and Welbeck. They fluffed them. 

2 hours ago, Pliskin said:

Reckon the league will be stopped again for a few months. Didn’t take much last time to stop it, I expect a month of no footy I think. 

I think the Premier League will carry on, the money lost would be too great.

Leagues One and Two could comfortably play on until mid-July, how many of their players will be in the Euros?

The Championship will be the biggest difficulty to solve.

• Like 1

So a few weeks ago Klopp claimed he was fighting the great cause for all managers/clubs in the league when it came to scheduling and fatigue and welfare of players.

By sheer coincidence (surely...), Liverpool were then gifted with the following schedule at this time of year:

Sunday 27th December

Wednesday 30th December

Monday 4th January

I believe this is the biggest break, or one of, a team gets at this time of year.

So far, I've not seen him spout any word at all about anyone else's schedule i.e. for any side who played Saturday and then Monday.

For example, West Brom, Brighton, Leeds, Burnley and Wolves all played Sunday and have to now play again tonight. 

If he really cared, would he not have said anything about the rest of the fixture scheduling?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, StanSP said:

So a few weeks ago Klopp claimed he was fighting the great cause for all managers/clubs in the league when it came to scheduling and fatigue and welfare of players.

By sheer coincidence (surely...), Liverpool were then gifted with the following schedule at this time of year:

Sunday 27th December

Wednesday 30th December

Monday 4th January

I believe this is the biggest break, or one of, a team gets at this time of year.

So far, I've not seen him spout any word at all about anyone else's schedule i.e. for any side who played Saturday and then Monday.

For example, West Brom, Brighton, Leeds, Burnley and Wolves all played Sunday and have to now play again tonight. 

If he really cared, would he not have said anything about the rest of the fixture scheduling?

Man is a total fraud. Cant believe some people actually believed his nonsense first time around. 

24 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Clever tactic actually. Contribute to having the Season 'voided' and stay in the EPL.   Once a suspension becomes a viable option for the 'Big 5' (and Arsenal), they will doubtless get their wish.   After which, Arsenal's historic European co-efficient/Duckworth Lewis combined rating will doubtless gain them a place in the Europa League at some small Clubs expense. 

• Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Koke said:

Man is a total fraud. Cant believe some people actually believed his nonsense first time around. 

I haven't seen any (may have missed it) comments where Rodgers complained about playing yesterday. I think he's too nice at times- he could easily have kicked up a fuss. 

No, he looked at the squad and adjusted accordingly.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Sunday 27th December

Wednesday 30th December

Monday 4th January

As I said at the time it was all done to influence Liverpool's schedule too their advantage and it's worked