Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

42 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Not a fan of this in all honesty, a weird move from the Leeds admin for sure.

32 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Everyone's focusing on them "bullying a female pundit", which they have to be careful of really. They're an official Twitter account with thousands of followers. However, I fully agree with their stance to take the piss a bit. 

30 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Official club accounts shouldn't be getting involved in this sort of thing generally in my opinion. I don't think it's a professional look, but I guess that's not what Twitter is for. 

I don't think what she said is that bad, lazily referencing Bielsa's tending to drop off and how the covid break maybe helped with that. They didn't get promoted "cos of covid" though.

That said, people are only getting knickers in a twist because it's a femalevpundit. Noone would give a shit if someone else had said it.

It's an excellent point to make. 

The amount of running Leeds do, the COVID break helped them let's not be silly about it. Should COVID never have happened would they have still won the league? Would they have dropped into the play-offs Who knows? Yes, yes they did win five on the bonce pre lockdown but football is a funny old sport. 

You could make the same point about Manchester United not making the top 4 if covid wasn't a thing. They benefitted from it massively and it allowed them to get their 'better players' back. 

Poor taste from Leeds. @TheBear If it was it bloke would he received the same back lash? Probably not. You can't go against the narrative of the media and Leeds United/Bielsa now can you 🙄

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hales said:

As a woman I don't see it like that. What I see is that its unprofessional that a teams official account has put this and she is now getting abuse because of it. Man or woman it's not professional or helpful for the club to do that!

Absolutely. I can’t recall another instance of a club doing this any time Sutton or Merson or Charlie Nicholas have opened their gobs. 

FWIW I don’t think the person running the Twitter account is sexist or trying to to be (I obviously don’t know that for certain, might be for all I know) I just think they’re a bit thick. 

• Like 3

Yeah regardless of the identity of the pundit and whether there's any malicious intent or not, I don't think it's a particularly good idea for official club platforms to get involved in that kind of stuff. Internet football fans are mainly tribal shitheads who froth at the mouth over the mildest criticism and by doing this they've basically sicced them on someone for making a fairly harmless (if not terribly well thought out) throwaway comment. At best, it's pretty unprofessional and a bit thick.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

Pundits, regardless of their sex, constantly make stupid, inaccurate comments.  The issue here for me is the responding to it from the official club account.

I can see why they did though. Pundits have started to operate in this bubble whereby they can make comments like the one in question and feel free to get away with it. 

Imagine how the Leeds players and management staff feel being dismissed like that? Why not challenge it.

I've had too much of pundits banging on about shite and getting a free pass. 

5 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I can see why they did though. Pundits have started to operate in this bubble whereby they can make comments like the one in question and feel free to get away with it. 

Imagine how the Leeds players and management staff feel being dismissed like that? Why not challenge it.

A fair point. The twitter teams are going to be busy if they're going to respond to every shite comment made by pundits though.

Just now, FoyleFox said:

A fair point. The twitter teams are going to be busy if they're going to respond to every shite comment made by pundits though.

Oh yeah. Case of picking battles. 

With Sutton spouting shit when we signed Rodgers wouldn't it have been heartening to see the club having a bit of a dig back at him? He was out of line. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I've had too much of pundits banging on about [deleted] and getting a free pass. 

Imagine how the Leeds management feel at their achievement being mildly denigrated?  I don't know, it must be tough.  Have any teams' achievements ever been criticised before, or are Leeds the first?

There comes a point where "fair comment" becomes "abuse" and this is nowhere near that point.  Anyone who says that the coronavirus made no difference to anyone, is foolish.  So by definition, it helped some teams and hindered others.  If this person believes that Leeds benefitted from the break, she's surely entitled to say so - it may be a wrong opinion, but not by definition controversial.  Leeds ought to be careful about launching witch-hunts.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dsr-burnley said:

Imagine how the Leeds management feel at their achievement being mildly denigrated?  I don't know, it must be tough.  Have any teams' achievements ever been criticised before, or are Leeds the first?

There comes a point where "fair comment" becomes "abuse" and this is nowhere near that point.  Anyone who says that the coronavirus made no difference to anyone, is foolish.  So by definition, it helped some teams and hindered others.  If this person believes that Leeds benefitted from the break, she's surely entitled to say so - it may be a wrong opinion, but not by definition controversial.  Leeds ought to be careful about launching witch-hunts.

I'm not certain that the tweet constitutes a witch hunt, quite. 

Nothing wrong with the Leeds tweet in isolation.  Lots wrong with their knuckle dragging fans taking it as a call to arms.  Edit: Or more accurately the way they go about presenting their disagreement.  Give her a bit of stick for saying something you disagree with much like we do with any of Sutton's verbal diarrhoea?  Fine.  Make it into a sexist slanging match?  Not so fine.

Edited by Carl the Llama
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I'm not certain that the tweet constitutes a witch hunt, quite. 

This is what Twitter is all about - if a football club with thousands of followers draws attention to a comment they don't like, it is done with the result of creating a witch hunt - every time.  Twitter is filled with hate and this sort of thing channels it.

The Leeds people might have been too thick to know that would happen, or they might have done it with the intention of that happening.  I don't know.  But it was certainly going to create a tirade of hatred.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

If they're unhappy with a pundit's comments or any other aspect of a televised programme they should go through the official channels and speak to those responsible for the production and employing said pundit.

• Like 3

Just now, davieG said:

If they're unhappy with a pundit's comments or any other aspect of a televised programme they should go through the official channels and speak to those responsible for the production and employing said pundit.

Yeah perhaps you're right. 

20 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Nothing wrong with the Leeds tweet in isolation.  Lots wrong with their knuckle dragging fans taking it as a call to arms.  Edit: Or more accurately the way they go about presenting their disagreement.  Give her a bit of stick for saying something you disagree with much like we do with any of Sutton's verbal diarrhoea?  Fine.  Make it into a sexist slanging match?  Not so fine.

This is it. I see loads of Leeds stuff on Twitter and half of the time they actually make up the narrative against them. Quoting things (using quote marks but not actually quoting anything that’s actually been said) and it absolutely riles the following up no end. 

It’s a bit pathetic in all honesty.

Edit- FWIW, I think they’d have called it out had it been a male pundit and the reaction would’ve been the same. I haven’t seen any sexist remarks as a response. Also they called out the broadcaster rather than the pundit personally. 

I hate Leeds Utd as much as the next person, but I think the reaction to their tweet has probably been as bad as the tweet itself. 

Edited by Leeds Fox

If it was or social media team taking the piss out of Graeme Sounness saying we'd be an embarrassment in Europe or something, we'd be loving it. 

I'm not sure I see a difference. 

They're not bullying a female pundit, they're responding to a professional football pundit. If their tweet said get back in the kitchen or took the piss out of her for not being a proper footballer or something then it'd be problematic but it does none of those things. 

What's the problem? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Oh yeah. Case of picking battles. 

With Sutton spouting shit when we signed Rodgers wouldn't it have been heartening to see the club having a bit of a dig back at him? He was out of line. 

No, it would have been the opposite and bitter and small-time. Do the talking on the pitch.

Imagine last year the clubs account spent October and November doing tweets sarcastically responding to punditry about Harry Maguire's move to Man U being onto bigger and better things. Our fans made us look muggy enough giving it to him and others only for us to wind up getting humiliated.

Edited by ealingfox

2 hours ago, adam95581 said:

This is the crux of it. If someone like Owen or Hargreaves had said this then it would have been put down to lazy punditry. If the LUFC Twitter had then reacted the same way by making the video there’s no way the likes of Linekar and Ferdinand would have jumped to his defence. 

There will have been 2000 shit takes on Leeds, yet they choose to highlight this one?

Perhaps they’ve got too used to the Bielsa Bum Fest and can’t take someone on TV not blowing smoke up their arses.

• Like 4

Women want (and of course should have) the same platform for comment; but also want immunity from any critique of that commentary.

Sounds like having your cake and eating it.

If you're a pundit and you're putting your views out there on the public record, then those views will be discussed and subject to scrutiny. The subjects are always subjective so there will be criticism (and support) of most views.

That said, I do agree that Leeds are playing a dangerous game here with their official twitter account getting involved. That is the issue here; then you have all the 'woke' out there looking for something to be upset about who are attaching the stigma of sexism to it.

34 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

This is it. I see loads of Leeds stuff on Twitter and half of the time they actually make up the narrative against them. Quoting things (using quote marks but not actually quoting anything that’s actually been said) and it absolutely riles the following up no end. 

It’s a bit pathetic in all honesty.

Edit- FWIW, I think they’d have called it out had it been a male pundit and the reaction would’ve been the same. I haven’t seen any sexist remarks as a response. Also they called out the broadcaster rather than the pundit personally. 

I hate Leeds Utd as much as the next person, but I think the reaction to their tweet has probably been as bad as the tweet itself. 

There's plenty enough in the replies to that tweet.  Some already deleted but talk of her only filling a quota and similar can still be easily found.  Tbf it would be the same with any football team, I don't think Leeds are unique in having meatheads among their fans.

• Like 1