Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

On 28/12/2020 at 18:45, DJ Barry Hammond said:

http://www.emro.who.int/health-topics/corona-virus/transmission-of-covid-19-by-asymptomatic-cases.html

Comprehensive studies on transmission from asymptomatic patients are difficult to conduct, as they require testing of large population cohorts and more data are needed to better understand and quantified the transmissibility of SARS-CoV-2. WHO is working with countries around the world, and global researchers, to gain better evidence-based understanding of the disease as a whole, including the role of asymptomatic patients in the transmission of the virus.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03141-3

As part of a large population study in Geneva, Switzerland, researchers modelled viral spread among people living together. In a manuscript posted on medRxiv this month2, they report that the risk of an asymptomatic person passing the virus to others in their home is about one-quarter of the risk of transmission from a symptomatic person.

so we're agreed then

the risk is low and shouldn't lead to lockdowns 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Imagine if we'd beaten the "lesser" teams and lost to the "bigger" teams instead.

"Brendan is S**T against the elite clubs, we won't progress with him in charge, he always bottles it against the big six, flat track bully manager." etc

Not like a Talk Sport reporter to attempt to attribute incorrect quotes. 

• Haha 3

Does anyone know how many games have to be completed for the season to be declared finished.  If we have an enforced break then there won’t be time to complete all the fixtures unless uefa make changes and why would they just for the premier league ? 

if the premier league insist that all games are completed then the clubs involved in euro comps will end up playing four times a week I/o three!   That would impact on us the most as we have the weakest squad. 

Just now, UniFox21 said:

Not a fan of this in all honesty, a weird move from the Leeds admin for sure.

Not sure it's that weird. Just a bit of light-hearted retort to a weird comment not given much thought. Leeds were on a good run before lockdown so she's chatting shit. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Man U know how to turn 0 points into 1 and 1 point into 3. Even when not playing well. Unfortunately, that is not something we are capable of and hence why we cannot close the gap to the top teams in the league. You could say Man U are lucky at times but not every time. Pretty sure without Fernandes they would be lost though. Everything goes through him.

They turned 3 points into 1 very recently at the King Power!

• Like 1

West Brom boss Sam Allardyce says football needs a break after the Premier League returned its highest number of positive coronavirus results in a single round of tests this season.

Official club accounts shouldn't be getting involved in this sort of thing generally in my opinion. I don't think it's a professional look, but I guess that's not what Twitter is for. 

I don't think what she said is that bad, lazily referencing Bielsa's tending to drop off and how the covid break maybe helped with that. They didn't get promoted "cos of covid" though.

That said, people are only getting knickers in a twist because it's a femalevpundit. Noone would give a shit if someone else had said it.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Not sure it's that weird. Just a bit of light-hearted retort to a weird comment not given much thought. Leeds were on a good run before lockdown so she's chatting shit. 

I think her point was probably that Bielsa teams often burn out, Leeds have previously actually. They might have been on a decent run, but previous evidence shows that probably wouldn't have continued had they not had the enforced break and the rest.

• Like 1

Just now, RowlattsFox said:

Official club accounts shouldn't be getting involved in this sort of thing generally in my opinion. I don't think it's a professional look, but I guess that's not what Twitter is for. 

I don't think what she said is that bad, lazily referencing Bielsa's tending to drop off and how the covid break maybe helped with that. They didn't get promoted "cos of covid" though.

That said, people are only getting knickers in a twist because it's a femalevpundit. Noone would give a shit if someone else had said it.

This is the crux of it. If someone like Owen or Hargreaves had said this then it would have been put down to lazy punditry. If the LUFC Twitter had then reacted the same way by making the video there’s no way the likes of Linekar and Ferdinand would have jumped to his defence. 

1 minute ago, davieG said:

West Brom boss Sam Allardyce says football needs a break after the Premier League returned its highest number of positive coronavirus results in a single round of tests this season.

Not surprise given it would benefit him, and give him a mini pre season to work wit the West Brom squad before the restart.

Pretty sure he wouldn't have said that if West From beat Leeds 5-0. 

The number of positive test are tiny % when you considered how may people are in and around PL teams.

5 minutes ago, davieG said:

I assume that if this was to happen clubs won't be allowed to train? Otherwise what's the point. Looks to me likes he's trying to bide himself some time to work with the players. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I think her point was probably that Bielsa teams often burn out, Leeds have previously actually. They might have been on a decent run, but previous evidence shows that probably wouldn't have continued had they not had the enforced break and the rest.

I think it's disingenuous to say they won the league because of COVID though. I can understand Leeds being a bit peed off about it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, adam95581 said:

This is the crux of it. If someone like Owen or Hargreaves had said this then it would have been put down to lazy punditry. If the LUFC Twitter had then reacted the same way by making the video there’s no way the likes of Linekar and Ferdinand would have jumped to his defence. 

I think this is the main issue for me. We see countless male pundits come up with lazy 'analysis' with no comments like this from clubs. Female pundits get enough grief, I don't think this was fully deserved. 

23 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Not a fan of this in all honesty, a weird move from the Leeds admin for sure.

Not sure what to make of this.  I know a lot of us on this forum have been annoyed at comments made by Sutton, Merson etc regarding us, but does that mean women in football are expempt from critism just because they aren't men?  

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

I think it's disingenuous to say they won the league because of COVID though. I can understand Leeds being a bit peed off about it. 

But tweeting about it from the club account? Whether they're right or not it looks tinpot and overly sensitive and she's now copping horrible abuse for it. And she does have a point anyway.

Imagine if every club's account starting clipping every occasion a pundit said something debatable about their club, it would get ridiculous.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, pazzerfox said:

Not sure what to make of this.  I know a lot of us on this forum have been annoyed at comments made by Sutton, Merson etc regarding us, but does that mean women in football are expempt from critism just because they aren't men?  

The club's account haven't tweeted about Sutton or Merson and tried to instigate a pile-on against them as far as I'm aware?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, pazzerfox said:

By no means is she exempt from criticism, she'll definitely improve as a result. Just annoys me we don't see the same from clubs for the crap other pundits come out with. 

• Like 1

The issue is not people questioning the comments, anyone is entitled to do that but don't condone any abuse she gets though. However people don't seem to care about other male pundits who get shit load of abuse for everything they say lol

The issue is the club instigating it. 

• Like 1