Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

5 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Not a fan of this in all honesty, a weird move from the Leeds admin for sure.

I bet they would not have responded had it been Roy Keane who said it:ph34r:

13 hours ago, SheppyFox said:

Yes but we’re using the rubbish American/German one at the minute that’s very difficult to distribute. As soon as the vastly superior British vaccine gets on the playing field we’ll have the war won in a few months.

As soon as the old and vulnerable are vaccinated this thing really is just a flu. It doesn’t kill young and healthy people very much.

What’s the average age of death now and the number of healthy people under 55 that have died of it? Achieve the above and let’s get on with rebuilding the world economy.

:nigel:

I read last night that the average age of entry to ICU is 60 years old. You don't have to die for covid to wreck your lungs. Comparison's to the flu are pretty disreputable at this point, after a year of Toby Young style idiocy.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, FoyleFox said:

We currently have an 8pm - 6am curfew in Northern Ireland and outdoor exercise is only permitted with members of the household. 

Things appear to be deteriorating before any hope of the vaccine improving the situation. We've not yet had the fall out of the Christmas gatherings yet! 

Jesus, hope your mental wellbeing isn't suffering too much!

At the end of the day for as much as I love football and the Foxes, it's a distraction / hobby. If this season ends up being another farcical one and ended early / cancelled then it would be annoying but not the end of the world. Players are paid crazy wages, but they are normal people like the rest of us and if they are all getting unwell, that's no good either. Already some players have experienced long covid and haven't made it back to full training, Allan Saint-Maximine of Newcastle immediately springs to mind.

Allowing Christmas gatherings was IMO a braindead decision and I've never really got why everyone gets so worked up in the country for ONE day in the year. Of course it's great to spend time with the family all together, but missing out on that once and postponing it hardly seems like the end of the world, when almost inevitably we are going to be months behind getting back to normal for the sake of some Christmas Turkey. 

Ah well at least the Oxford vaccine which is easier to transport was approved today so no doubt the vaccination program can begin en masse very soon. I just hope a new mutation of the virus doesn't emerge that is resistant to the vaccine! 

Good luck to all over in NI, hope you get through it without going mad!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

Imagine had we been in the same position as Leeds there would have been uproar against the female pundit. Don’t like defending Leeds but she’s talking absolute nonsense. 

No she isn't, look how much pressing has fallen off this season.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/dec/26/football-tactics-pandemic-bayern-munich-liverpool

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The People's Hero said:

Women want (and of course should have) the same platform for comment; but also want immunity from any critique of that commentary.

Sounds like having your cake and eating it.

If you're a pundit and you're putting your views out there on the public record, then those views will be discussed and subject to scrutiny. The subjects are always subjective so there will be criticism (and support) of most views.

That said, I do agree that Leeds are playing a dangerous game here with their official twitter account getting involved. That is the issue here; then you have all the 'woke' out there looking for something to be upset about who are attaching the stigma of sexism to it.

strawman argument, who said that precisely?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Where have women pundits ever said they want immunity from their comments? The women pundits I know and have worked with have no problem with constructive criticism.

Sadly, because they're female, they seem to get added scrutiny which IMHO is unfair.

A lot of blokes get triggered (IMHO) because they're uncomfortable that some women actually know more about football than them.

Twitter often is a toxic cesspit and Leeds could have easily avoided the horrible pile on by not tweeting what they did.

You said it so much better than me, thank you.

7 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Where have women pundits ever said they want immunity from their comments? The women pundits I know and have worked with have no problem with constructive criticism.

Sadly, because they're female, they seem to get added scrutiny which IMHO is unfair.

A lot of blokes get triggered (IMHO) because they're uncomfortable that some women actually know more about football than them.

Twitter often is a toxic cesspit and Leeds could have easily avoided the horrible pile on by not tweeting what they did.

It's the media who seem to highlight any critism directed towards women, which blows it up out of all proportion.  

Edited by pazzerfox
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

The same lot of football’s white knights leaping to Karen Carney’s defence. Why is she immune from criticism? In fact why does she need anyone to defend her? I’m sure she can do it herself. 

Leeds’ twitter account often has these lame exchanges with the likes of Gabby Agbonlahor and Pizza Hut to name a couple.

Pundits should be called out for their ill-informed comments. Leeds had won 5 in a row before the league stopped in March. Our fans get wound up at pundits using the same Leicester stereotype of being a counter-attacking team, well she’s basically said that Leeds will fall apart. She might well be right about this season, but they won the league with ease last season. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Worth noting that I've seen nothing to suggest Karen Carney is offended by any of this. Just people being offended on her behalf, as usual. 

I could assume you have actually looked at her response then? and aren't just a culture warrior embarrassing yourself...

2 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

He'll be happy about having a chairman he can talk to.  Apparently relations between him and Garlick have broken down to the extent that they aren't on speaking terms.  Fortunately team spirit hasn't been affected, possibly in part because Garlick has had the sense to say absolutely nothing while Dyche snipped away in interview after interview, and by saying nothing he at least helped in keeping it from being a full-on row with people taking sides within the club.

Hopefully he'll spend it wisely - his best signings, apart from Wood, have been the cheap ones.

Mind you, Dyche is the best manager we've had in my lifetime.  His mistakes are trivial, his achievements are huge.  I'm just glad no-one else seems to want to offer him a job.

This fellow ran a mediocre MLS club in Utah.  The BBC article said he plans a "hands on role".

Are you at all concerned he might be in over his head?

5 minutes ago, KingsX said:

This fellow ran a mediocre MLS club in Utah.  The BBC article said he plans a "hands on role".

Are you at all concerned he might be in over his head?

I'm concerned, but not enough to spoil my day.  As long as he understands rule 1 - Sean Dyche is the main man, don't upset him too much.

31 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

The same lot of football’s white knights leaping to Karen Carney’s defence. Why is she immune from criticism? In fact why does she need anyone to defend her? I’m sure she can do it herself. 

Leeds’ twitter account often has these lame exchanges with the likes of Gabby Agbonlahor and Pizza Hut to name a couple.

Pundits should be called out for their ill-informed comments. Leeds had won 5 in a row before the league stopped in March. Our fans get wound up at pundits using the same Leicester stereotype of being a counter-attacking team, well she’s basically said that Leeds will fall apart. She might well be right about this season, but they won the league with ease last season. 

Very well put. Her comments were lazy and uninformed. Not only were Leeds likely to win the title whether or not there was a break due to the pandemic, they also don't just win football matches by 'outrunning the opposition'. They've shown genuinely quality some coming up and I for one have really enjoyed watching them. The fact that beat a team 5-0 away from home that came up with them shows how much better they were than the rest of the championship. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Good luck to all over in NI, hope you get through it without going mad!

I think that ship has already well and truly sailed.....:D probably attributable to the 10 years WFH and natural social isolation of our location....

Thank you though. Overall and considering, we're fine.

Edited by FoyleFox
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

Naming agbonlahor in the same sentence is massively unfair. The bloke is a troll and unashamedly says stuff to wind people up. Very very different imo.

1 hour ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

:nigel:

I read last night that the average age of entry to ICU is 60 years old. You don't have to die for covid to wreck your lungs. Comparison's to the flu are pretty disreputable at this point, after a year of Toby Young style idiocy.

No you chose not to read or didn’t understand the post. Elderly and vulnerable vaccinated renders COVID similar statistically to the flu. It’s presently infinitely more dangerous. It won’t be once the vulnerable and 55+ are protected.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

No you chose not to read or didn’t understand the post. Elderly and vulnerable vaccinated renders COVID similar statistically to the flu. It’s presently infinitely more dangerous. It won’t be once the vulnerable and 55+ are protected.

Sorry mate - you need to rake a wander around ICU’s around the country. They aren’t full of the vulnerable and aged ........

do you know how many people there are over 55 btw ?.

By the time we have vaccinated the over 60’s I would expect many of the restrictions to be have been relaxed back to where we were in September