Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

8 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

There's plenty enough in the replies to that tweet.  Some already deleted but talk of her only filling a quota and similar can still be easily found.  Tbf it would be the same with any football team, I don't think Leeds are unique in having meatheads among their fans.

Fair enough, I hadn’t looked into the replies enough to find any abuse. 

It’s a tricky one really, I think the club should have the right to call the pundit out on a comment like that, just as much as the pundit has the right to give their opinion.

Do the club not call the pundit out because she’s a woman? Is that equality? 

Did the pundit make such a comment to provoke a reaction? Was she put up to it by Amazon to generate publicity?

Was it relevant and did it need saying after they’d just spanked a team who were their closest rivals to the Championship title? 

All conjecture but making a comment like that was clearly going to ruffle a few feathers, that was obvious. Nobody deserves abuse mind, that doesn’t need saying.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

They did :dunno:

Really then what was this tweet? They obviously feel the need to mention how great they are every second and how they are the greatest team to ever win the championship and the greatest promoted side ever with the best manager the world has ever seen. And no one should dare have an opinion and question those supposed facts 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

Just now, foxes_rule1978 said:

Really then what was this tweet? They obviously feel the need to mention how great they are every second and how they are the greatest team to ever win the championship and the greatest promoted side ever with the best manager the world has ever seen. 

They didn't say that? That's your perspective of how you see them seen as a club and acting like they go about bragging like that.

Now I'm not going to deny they get the attention some other media darlings get, but if they want to stick up for themselves with a little quip and defend how they thought they won the league, then so be it. The tweet was just that - they don't think they won the league 'because of COVID' which was claimed and they just factually wrote they won the league by 10 points. What you're saying isn't the same thing as what they tweet or claimed.

You say 'let them do the talking on the pitch'. They did. They won the league by 10 points. They just thrashed West Brom 5-0. They're actually doing alright for a promoted club. People hate Leeds and that may be for valid reasons, but then it ends up clouding the judgement and leads to things like what you've just said there...

• Like 1

Just seems a bit pathetic to respond to comments that way. You don't see Man United tweeting in response to pundit's criticism. 

If they really, genuinely took issue with it, they should make a complaint to the broadcaster or directly to the person asking them to retract the statement officially. Or put out a press release/ statement themselves. Not a tweet. It just smacks of work experience kid being given the reigns. 

She's perfectly entitled to make that inflammatory comment just as the football world is entitled to criticise her for it.

She wouldn't have said it if she wasn't looking for attention. Best thing to do if you don't like it is just ignore it. Troll pundits make a name for themselves on furore like this. 

Reacting does make Leeds football club look very petty. 

10 minutes ago, StanSP said:

They didn't say that? That's your perspective of how you see them seen as a club and acting like they go about bragging like that.

Now I'm not going to deny they get the attention some other media darlings get, but if they want to stick up for themselves with a little quip and defend how they thought they won the league, then so be it. The tweet was just that - they don't think they won the league 'because of COVID' which was claimed and they just factually wrote they won the league by 10 points. What you're saying isn't the same thing as what they tweet or claimed.

You say 'let them do the talking on the pitch'. They did. They won the league by 10 points. They just thrashed West Brom 5-0. They're actually doing alright for a promoted club. People hate Leeds and that may be for valid reasons, but then it ends up clouding the judgement and leads to things like what you've just said there...

while what your saying is correct I felt what Leeds have done is totally unnecessary, why do it just reminds me of why I hate them so much 

If anything it has enhanced her punditry career. Did anyone know who she was this time yesterday? I know I didn’t. My opinion is it wasn’t a particularly clever comment she made but in the long run it will be beneficial for her. Probably wouldn’t be saying the same if it was a male pundit making this comment. 

5 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

In this context surely the talking would be not blowing up towards the end of the season? Because now if they do they're going to look pretty stupid.

Probably why it is best to not post such garbage, when not even half way through the season lol it is totally needless 

6 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

In this context surely the talking would be not blowing up towards the end of the season? Because now if they do they're going to look pretty stupid.

Not really because it's a totally different scenario in a totally different league with much bigger demands.

Most (sane) Leeds fans I know are happy to survive, entertained with the current football and are just happy to be back in the Premier League. There's no overstating of their quality and they certainly don't fancy themselves as the biggest club in the land or best in the league/world. They know their place and just trying to enjoy the ride.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Not really because it's a totally different scenario in a totally different league with much bigger demands.

Most (sane) Leeds fans I know are happy to survive, entertained with the current football and are just happy to be back in the Premier League. There's no overstating of their quality and they certainly don't fancy themselves as the biggest club in the land or best in the league/world. They know their place and just trying to enjoy the ride.

Its Bielsa that has the rep, not Leeds as a club specifically.

Sorry but if they ended up losing 10 of the last 12 games and scraping survival then they absolutely would look very stupid and you can bet people would be digging up this incident in droves.

I seem to remember a few years back there were loads of comments about a certain club in Leicester, who had made a good start to the season, being unlikely to sustain it and had no chance of winning the league.  It was said they wouldn't last the course.  They would burn out.  Even Mr Lineker, of whom you may have heard ;), said it.  I don't remember it being viewed as inflammatory, controversial, or worthy of defence by the club.  Pundits talk all sorts of rubbish.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, davieG said:

West Brom boss Sam Allardyce says football needs a break after the Premier League returned its highest number of positive coronavirus results in a single round of tests this season.

Rather odd comments from him about being worried about catching Covid at his age. Why did he take the job? Covid's been around for nine months, hardly a ground-breaking discovery in the past ten days.

23 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Wonder how Sean Dyche will feel about having, potentially, more money to spend in the transfer window..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55476276

He'll be happy about having a chairman he can talk to.  Apparently relations between him and Garlick have broken down to the extent that they aren't on speaking terms.  Fortunately team spirit hasn't been affected, possibly in part because Garlick has had the sense to say absolutely nothing while Dyche snipped away in interview after interview, and by saying nothing he at least helped in keeping it from being a full-on row with people taking sides within the club.

Hopefully he'll spend it wisely - his best signings, apart from Wood, have been the cheap ones.

Mind you, Dyche is the best manager we've had in my lifetime.  His mistakes are trivial, his achievements are huge.  I'm just glad no-one else seems to want to offer him a job.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ealingfox said:

The club's account haven't tweeted about Sutton or Merson and tried to instigate a pile-on against them as far as I'm aware?

Correct and our club never would tweet anything like that.  Leeds obviously felt the comment was disrespectful to them but i agree they went about it in an unprofessional manor, but had Robbie Savage said it, would it have gotten the same level of attention do you think?

5 minutes ago, pazzerfox said:

Correct and our club never would tweet anything like that.  Leeds obviously felt the comment was disrespectful to them but i agree they went about it in an unprofessional manor, but had Robbie Savage said it, would it have gotten the same level of attention do you think?

Yes but the backlash wouldn’t have been anywhere near what it has been. The offended parties (to Leeds’ tweet) have doubled the attention that this is getting. 

• Like 3