Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

11 hours ago, Stadt said:

Some were going on about Fulham

breaking Derby’s record at the beginning of the season because they lost a few early on. They’re actually quite a fun team to watch and I’d expect them to stay up

I remember quite a while ago I watched them play against Everton and this was in the period when every one was talking about that derby record. Despite them losing 3-2, I was really impressed with some of the performances and I didn't used to rate Scott Parker at all but he's showing some positive signs. Also that Looman looks really good, obviously scored a goal last night but when he came against spurs they were 1 nil down and he came on and changed the game and got a beautiful assist for the goal. I'd look out for Fulham, they beat us obviously and look like a tough team to break down. Wether they can stay up I don't know but part of me wants them too to be honest.

• Like 2

Thing that is really winding me up at the moment is the scheduling of games giving journos the opportunity to say "Leicester were top, then Man City, then Man United, all in the space of a day".

No. At the start of the round of fixtures, Man United were top. They were then top at the end of the round. Dunno why it winds me up so much. I'm an adult. I know this is how they work. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Not going to argue that with you - but my point stands that a precedent has been set, which can only cause problems.

Not going to arguing with you too. In fact I agree with your sentiment! I think this is bad precedent I fully agree. I was supporting your point and just wanted to add that the point that there is not even a loophole to begin with - they just misinterpreted the rule and now created a bad precedent.

Though Vardy might like it. He likes to torment opposition CBs and goalies anyway. Now he can harass them from behind the line as well as he often needs to come back from an offside position after chasing lost causes or chasing down on goalies🤔!

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 1

I think it'll happen so many times in the next few weeks, then it'll happen to Liverpool or Man Utd. There'll be a huge clamour and controversy and absolute uproar about it. Then the rule will change because they need to be pandered to. Possibly because their managers are outright moany cvnts who throw every single toy out of their pram when things don't go their way. 

6 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Thing that is really winding me up at the moment is the scheduling of games giving journos the opportunity to say "Leicester were top, then Man City, then Man United, all in the space of a day".

No. At the start of the round of fixtures, Man United were top. They were then top at the end of the round. Dunno why it winds me up so much. I'm an adult. I know this is how they work. 

Its like that stat Sky loved bringing up that the league lead changed hands 20 odd times since January or something when Man City won the league and Liverpool were 2nd when in reality they both kept winning their games and the top team was only being replaced by virtue of one playing hours before the other. If you look at the change at the top per gameweek it changed once at since Christmas.

• Like 2

The off side last night was within the Law of the game but against the spirit of the game in my view. 

If they would have given him off no one would have questioned it, sometimes you have to apply a little bit of common sense to the meaning of something on paper.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

The off side last night was within the Law of the game but against the spirit of the game in my view. 

If they would have given him off no one would have questioned it, sometimes you have to apply a little bit of common sense to the meaning of something on paper.

I actually don’t even think it was within the law of the game. See my explanation here: 

The fact its never happened before, as far as I am aware, shows that it might not happen again but that's probably usually down to players not attempting to win the ball back because they assume they're offside. Did Rodri know the rule or was he just being a nuisance fully expecting to be offside? I expect the latter. 

Player plays a through ball, defenders attempts to intercepts, gets a toe to it but doesn't fully intercept, player who was offside picks up the ball and scores. This now stands? 

Hard enough to defend with the delayed flags, and now this as well. 

2 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

The fact its never happened before, as far as I am aware, shows that it might not happen again but that's probably usually down to players not attempting to win the ball back because they assume they're offside. Did Rodri know the rule or was he just being a nuisance fully expecting to be offside? I expect the latter. 

Player plays a through ball, defenders attempts to intercepts, gets a toe to it but doesn't fully intercept, player who was offside picks up the ball and scores. This now stands? 

Think its hard to defend to when we are waiting three minutes for VAR to call an offside when someone is off by a mm and not really gain an advantage, whilst Rodri can stand 10 yards off sneak up behind Mings and the goal is allowed.

• Like 2

I don't want to see Vardy, Youri or Wilf anywhere near this; Jamie needs time to ease his injury and the others are too integral to our chances in the other competitions.

As someone who cried all the way home from Wembley in '69, I never thought Id say this, but the Cup is the lowest priority this year( particularly as we can't be there at Wembley) and I don't want to see our most irreplacable players involved, certainly in the early rounds. I sincerely believe we are in the mix for the title and have a great chance of winning the Europa League. Who knows when we'll be in that position again?

We've waited this long to win the Cup, we can wait another year.

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

You see Vardy come back from offside positions all the time and not close the defender down because he thinks he'll be given offside, at least we know that once the defender has touched it he can tackle them now. If it was given offside noone would have said anything. 

It's probably a unique situation, defender usually heads clear or whatever and nothing happens. There is always a bit of grey area with offsides. I don't like it when a striker can stand in a offside position, when another player goes through but then be onside once he's behind the ball. He's gained a massive advantage from being in a offside position initially.

Vardy has gone after them as soon as they've taken a touch before. Its just 99/100 when vardy is behind them they don't take a touch and let it bounce or just get it away straight away. 

2 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Think its hard to defend to when we are waiting three minutes for VAR to call an offside when someone is off by a mm and not really gain an advantage, whilst Rodri can stand 10 yards off sneak up behind Mings and the goal is allowed.

Nail on the head. 
Regardless of whether what he did was within the written rules or not, it’s not within the spirit of the offside rule. VAR is killing the game and things like this just push it further away from where it should be.

• Like 1

Just now, Buce said:

I don't want to see Vardy, Youri or Wilf anywhere near this; Jamie needs time to ease his injury and the others are too integral to our chances in the other competitions.

As someone who cried all the way home from Wembley in '69, I never thought Id say this, but the Cup is the lowest priority this year( particularly as we can't be there at Wembley) and I don't want to see our most irreplacable players involved, certainly in the early rounds. I sincerely believe we are in the mix for the title and have a great chance of winning the Europa League. Who knows when we'll be in that position again?

Guessing you meant this for the Brentford thread? 

• Haha 1

Just now, Buce said:

Edit:

Wrong thread. :doh:

Mods, could you move it to the Brentford thread, please?

• Haha 1

Can well see shithouse managers like Allardyce taking advantage of this law. I remember when he was at Bolton and they played us and he made 2 of his players deliberately stand offside at set plays and then when it was taken run back onside to try and cause confusion. That last night proved that there are clearly still issues with the offside laws and the way its interpreted. That goal last night should never have been allowed. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

This exact scenario happened in a Liverpool vs Spurs game. Ball was played through, Lovren swung a leg at it, missed it, Kane profited and scored despite being in an offside position. 

Liverpool's argument was that Kane was in an offside position when initial ball played through. 

Spurs argument was that Lovren deliberately went to play the ball and therefore rendered Kane's position not offside. 

Again though, at that time, I don't think the referee's (think it was Jon Moss again!?) knew what the ruling was but allowed the goal to stand. 

I don't care if the national newspapers, Sky or any other football pundits don'y mention us.

Every day you look at the back page or see Sky sports news and hear nothing but Manchester .............., Liverpool, Chelsea or their beloved Spurs touted in one way or another.

We win and go top of the league, barely a mention.

Good, lets hope it stays that way, it keeps pressure of the team.

Let us simply go about our job quietly in the background, until it's too late for anyone to realise what a threat we are.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

No. That is what I was saying. I don’t think the rule says what you suggest. 

See below. He clearly committed an offside. This is the rule. It was still within the same play. But once Mings controlled it and the play is reset, then he can challenge so he cannot “continue unopposed endlessly”. 

Mings controlled it i.e. made a deliberate play therefore new phase. 

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

This exact scenario happened in a Liverpool vs Spurs game. Ball was played through, Lovren swung a leg at it, missed it, Kane profited and scored despite being in an offside position. 

Liverpool's argument was that Kane was in an offside position when initial ball played through. 

Spurs argument was that Lovren deliberately went to play the ball and therefore rendered Kane's position not offside. 

Again though, at that time, I don't think the referee's (think it was Jon Moss again!?) knew what the ruling was but allowed the goal to stand. 

In that situation, I think it should be offside, whether Lovren went for the ball or not, even if he touched it whilst attempting to. If a defender controls the ball and passes it back then fair enough, or once he has full control of the ball (I don't think Mings did)

Like with every rule though, I guess you can interpret any rule different ways. 

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

There is absolutely zero controversy around the Mings **** up, it's not offside it's just crap defending. If the football media weren't so desperate for a bit of drama they'd have just all done what they should have done which is point out it's really embarrassing that a Premier League manager doesn't know the rules and had some weird Jonathan Pearce style meltdown. 

Rodri isn't interfering with play until Mings controls the ball so what's the problem? I don't even agree with the whole Martin Keown "the rule isn't in the spirit of the game" rubbish, what? 

If Rodri had openly contested for the initial ball, had put pressure on Mings and forced him to rush and he'd fumbled it or something then I could understand the controversy but Mings doesn't even seem to have considered he's there, he's just casually chesting it down thinking he's got all the time in the world. 

Literally a non-issue.

Do you think that's because the player has come from being about 15 yards offside? 

• Like 1