Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

Re our position, at the moment I think it depends on how far we go in the Europa League in terms of the extra demands. Arsenal will be better than last season, Spurs should be too, Wolves without the extra games will be tough to stay ahead of. i can see Everton and West Ham not too far off us around 9th / 10th, the Southampton shout comes from the idea they'll maintain the upward curve of momentum from the second half of the season, Sheff Utd would do well to match last season whilst Leeds are the wild card. 

I think we can aim for sixth and put up a good fight for it  but are likely to be tussling with Wolves for 7th and 8th place whilst the traditional six invest in squads broad enough for a 60 game season and benefit from it. Maybe a Mourinho meltdown will keep Spurs below us but if not I can see them finally achieving some momentum. 

I get a feeling we'll be looking out for the Everton, West Ham and Wolves results more than the "big 6".

6 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

I always assume that he's saying something controversial or different because that's what he's paid for, a balanced analytical assessment isn't what his employers are looking to him for. Although, I'm assuming from your comment that this may not be the case and he might really just be a kn@b.

It was quite sad in some ways really - they were saying that he always presents it as though he were one of the gang, but in reality no one liked him and he was an outcast in the group. 

11 hours ago, Stoopid said:

I really don't like Spurs,  but by any measure they're a big club. I often think people don't get how widespread and immense their support is. Not just N London,  but massive swathes of the home counties and well beyond. Even with a bigger stadium I don't see us breaking more than 40,000 at home regularly.  Spurs could comfortably get twice that. 

As I say I don't like them, but let's be realistic - as David Pleat used to say,  it's all about chimney-pots. 

Leicester is a mid-sized city,  and we are a mid-sized club. Who happen to be going through a period of punching well above our weight.

And, by the way,  Leicester's relative size doesn’t make it any the less a remarkable place,  and the same goes for the football club.

I don’t see this view. We are a big club and could be bigger with some history behind us that were slowly making.

We could be easily as big as the likes of Leeds Newcastle Everton Villa etc. They have a much better history, but Newcastle live off their fanbase. Everton off a good period in the 80s, will always be a club competing with Liverpool for fans, Villa are good size club but we wouldn’t be far off soon etc.

Its so unambitious and negative to just assume we are this mid size club who can’t get bigger, football has changed so much, it’s all about money. We are a level above lots of clubs now with our financial power and our owners are smart too on recruitment , not just on the field but back room staff etc.

Were in good hands and have the fanbase and have surrounding areas to attract more.

I agree we’ll never be one of the top Clubs in England, but we can easily get into a bracket off a big club, it’s ridiculous to think our limit is a mid sized club. We are firmly in the top 20 and pushing top 10 nowadays I think.

For example was having a conversation the other day and it’s amazing how many people still view Forest as a big club considering they have barely done anything since the early 90s! Nearly 30 years yet considered big by a bit of history!

Things change and if we create an ‘era’ , you’d be suprised how big we can become. Positivity people for god sakes! It’s why we watch every season!

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Robbie Savage has predicted we will be 10th next year and need to get real.

Wolves will be top 6.

Spurs will drop a place to 7th.

Man U will be runners up. The Donny signing apparently closes the 30 odd point gap between them and Liverpool/Man C.

Man C - will drop to 4th after being many points away from challengers for the last two years. 

Everyone entitled to an opinion. However, Robbie really is like Diarrhoea, no one likes him. 

Is Savage still peddling his nonsense on the radio ? He could always be relied on after about 3 games into the season to confidently assert the nailed on champions ( whoever was top at the end of August) and the certs for relegation ( bottom 3 clubs at the same date). Never failed lol

2 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

That's good- we're paying a manager £8 million a year to finish lower than Claude Puel who everyone loathed and everyone should be happy with that.

1 hour ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Look, I can’t imagine Robbie’s spent more than 30 minutes coming up with his predictions.

He’ll have picked a club and gone with whatever position came to mind - and filled in the gaps with the few clubs he had left.

Yet, regardless of what you think of his actual predictions, what he’s produced meets the key requirements of what he’s been asked to do.

That’s because these things aren’t meant to be proven to be right at the end of the season - they’re supposed to get page views and comments.

So the fact you’ve commented about in such detail shows his have worked - and why Savage is viewed as an effective pundit by TV/radio companies.

:crylaugh::crylaugh:

You can’t be serious ? As if you’re the only one in the world to work out Robbie Savage or the motives of pundits akin to him ? I don’t know if you’ve decided to post that in some way to make yourself feel relevant or intelligent ? But it’s really backfired. 

Of course pundits try to be controversial to get views. Especially pundits such as Robbie Savage otherwise how else does he get the odd champions league game to review. It certainly isn’t based on his playing career. However, it is a prediction, one of many for this season and this is a thread for next season. In addition, that is a prediction which includes us. It’s part of the fun to review. By the way a few short sentences is not a detailed review. 

You’re going to get a few more pundits make predictions this year, many more people will post them, like every year. I think it’s safe to side that most who do post or comment on them won’t take them too seriously. Lighten up.

4 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Wolves will be top 6.

Spurs will drop a place to 7th.

Man U will be runners up. The Donny signing apparently closes the 30 odd point gap between them and Liverpool/Man C.

Man C - will drop to 4th after being many points away from challengers for the last two years. 

Everyone entitled to an opinion. However, Robbie really is like Diarrhoea, no one likes him. 

Don't really see alot wrong with that comment, I think we will finish midtable or lower and a few people do need to get real as to where this club is going and our ambitions. His predictions and mine might be totally wrong but it remains to be seen, I currently can't see anything other than ready made excuses for a poor season ahead though.

As for the other predictions - I don't really care about other clubs so i'm not going to comment re those predictions.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

Don't really see alot wrong with that comment, I think we will finish midtable or lower and a few people do need to get real as to where this club is going and our ambitions. His predictions and mine might be totally wrong but it remains to be seen, I currently can't see anything other than ready made excuses for a poor season ahead though.

As for the other predictions - I don't really care about other clubs so i'm not going to comment re those predictions.

Same, I think we will be lucky to get 10th this year 

14 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Surely that is Raul off then?

Yeah because we're not allowed two strikers at the club :blink:

We've been crying out for someone to take some of the load off Raul for over a season now. We can't keep playing him every minute. 

11 minutes ago, wardyfox86 said:

What about Patrick Cutrone? What are Wolves fans hopes for him?? 

Nothing, he's been and gone. No-one knows if he's played enough games for Fiorentina to have to sign him permanently, but he won't be coming back to Wolves. 

• Like 1

I didn’t really feel confident before last season and it didn’t end too badly. I just cannot shake the feeling that we’re in for an absolute disaster this year though. Reckon we’ll win something like 3 in 13, Rodgers will go, new manager bounce up until after Christmas to get us just above top half and then fizzle out to mediocrity thereafter. Pretty familiar with that scenario now tbh. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Bear said:

We've been crying out for someone to take some of the load off Raul for over a season now. We can't keep playing him every minute. 

Nothing, he's been and gone. No-one knows if he's played enough games for Fiorentina to have to sign him permanently, but he won't be coming back to Wolves. 

That is an astonishing amount of money to pay for a striker who has scored 1 professional goal I think? Obviously highly rated but this is a big punt. Probably be out of your reach in a year though if he is another one off the production line of ridiculous Portuguese youngsters so can see the benefit of taking the risk.

9 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Ah, wasn't aware they had a mandatory fee. Another overhyped youngster it seems. 

12 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Forgive me, I was not trying to be dismissive of the prospect, but one 35m striker along with what 50m for Raul? Do you play with two strikers normally?
Was only querying if one would be willing to sit on the bench.

30 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

That is an astonishing amount of money to pay for a striker who has scored 1 professional goal I think? Obviously highly rated but this is a big punt. Probably be out of your reach in a year though if he is another one off the production line of ridiculous Portuguese youngsters so can see the benefit of taking the risk.

It's 3 goals in all competitions and not that many minutes just cameo sub appearances really, but he's scored loads for the Portugese International youth teams which is where his reputation has come from. It's a gamble for sure but if Real Madrid were keen on him then he must be decent. 

24 minutes ago, wardyfox86 said:

Ah, wasn't aware they had a mandatory fee. Another overhyped youngster it seems. 

He looked a decent poacher at Milan but I think he lost patience with his lack of game time and angled for a move back to Italy. 

20 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Forgive me, I was not trying to be dismissive of the prospect, but one 35m striker along with what 50m for Raul? Do you play with two strikers normally?
Was only querying if one would be willing to sit on the bench.

No probs. We paid £30m for Raul. Seemingly plenty of people thinking Raul is out the door just because we're signing Silva. Our main formation is 3-4-3 but Nuno regularly switches to 3-5-2 and sometimes starts with it. Jota usually plays alongside Jimenez and occasionally Traore, but Jimenez has to play every single game because we have no other out and out strikers we can use. 

Edited by The Bear

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Wolves spending £36m on a young striker from Porto 

Potentially big name, in a few years. For now though, they’ll have to be patient, send him out on loan for few years. It’s an interesting strategy and definitely fitting for PE ownershp. Look what we have in our locker in a few years time. I think they need a second striker for right now so it will be interesting to see how this effects the rest of their window.