Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

11 hours ago, FLAN said:

I think Liverpool will regress massively this season. They're the team to beat and having overcome the hurdle of their first title, they won't have the same motivation this year. I think both Man City and Chelsea will finish above them this year. 

I think Fraser is massively overrated and I've never been sure about Holding but Wilson (fit and firing) could be exactly what they need - obviously needs the service but filling the goalscorer shaped hole they've got is a big bonus for them.

I reckon they'll be relatively fine again, 13th or something like that.

West Brom have signed Cedric Kipre from Wigan.

Fantastic to see an academy graduate play his way up the divisions to a PL squad. Motherwell - Wigan - West Brom. The lad has done very well for himself there and still only 23. Good luck to him.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, LCCFox96 said:

West Brom have signed Cedric Kipre from Wigan.

Fantastic to see an academy graduate play his way up the divisions to a PL squad. Motherwell - Wigan - West Brom. The lad has done very well for himself there and still only 23. Good luck to him.

Get ready to read about how we should have kept him every time he plays.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

This is the side effect! To be fair it should be fairly obvious from the relatively quick growth in his career he's developed faster, and possibly to an even higher level, than was ever anticipated. 

43 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Aye, they need to think of all the experience he's gained which he wouldn't get turning out for our U23s or on some L2 loan, Unless they are showing outstanding ability players circa 21/22 that look like they have no chance of making the 1st team squad anytime soon should be found other permanent clubs to continue their development, if in doubt insert a buy back clause. If they are late developers well it's been better for them and we should be happy that as a club we found them, believed in them and did their early development.

We seem to be full of players that are never likely to make the 1st team squad just to fill the numbers to compete in PL2, I think this does these guys a disservice and is not that beneficial for them.

37 minutes ago, davieG said:

Aye, they need to think of all the experience he's gained which he wouldn't get turning out for our U23s or on some L2 loan, Unless they are showing outstanding ability players circa 21/22 that look like they have no chance of making the 1st team squad anytime soon should be found other permanent clubs to continue their development, if in doubt insert a buy back clause. If they are late developers well it's been better for them and we should be happy that as a club we found them, believed in them and did their early development.

We seem to be full of players that are never likely to make the 1st team squad just to fill the numbers to compete in PL2, I think this does these guys a disservice and is not that beneficial for them.

I'm going to keep saying " we've been done up like a Kipre here " 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, FLAN said:

That is an interesting article, even though it seems like it's been written by a mad man. He's claiming Liverpool won the title because they were overdosing on caffeine!

However, what you can infer from it is that in the current game, having your team running at peak physical capability can be the difference between winning competitions and losing them. A series of things influence this; the average age of the team, the physical load placed on the team during training, the style of play, number of games in a season, etc. Liverpool have been playing at 110% for a few seasons now and at some point it will catch up with them. It happened to Klopp at Dortmund  when he ended up leaving as it literally seemed as if on the pitch the team had nothing more to give as early as October in the Bundesliga. Interestingly I feel like the exact same thing happened to us in 2020, only much faster. The biggest difference to me in our play between looking great at the end of 2019 and looking terrible in 2020 was the amount of pressing the team was able to do. Once we were unable to impose our style of play on a game, we regressed back to Puel style football. That's why Rodgers probably pushed for Rennie to go and to bring in some of his own people to improve our physicals. 

Given how much Liverpool pushed over the last few seasons I could definitely believe that their physical performance will drop off quite a bit and they will regress. Clearly they will still be in the mix, but I can certainly believe a narrative like that. 

For Leicester, for me it emphasises why we desperately need to add strength in depth to our squad. Yes having a world class attacking player would also massively improve us, but with 50-60 games coming this season we are going to need to have the ability to keep our players who play at high intensity fresh. For us that means our full-backs, our wingers and our attacking midfielders. That's why Castagne is a very understandable signing and why I could see us going for another left-back on top of him. Currently we are no stronger than last season as we've simply replaced a player rather than adding to the squad. 

• Like 3

Not watched it so might be rubbish, wouldn't be surprise.

https://www.bt.com/sport/watch/video/clips/2020/september/leicester-2020-21-season-in-preview?s_cid=con_cic_aff_affwin_vidAJM_broadband_143466&vendorid=AJM&utm_source=Affwin&utm_medium=Ref&utm_campaign=143466&awc=3041_1599217454_fe1d44004dc3c048e5d0444f0f58e461

BT - Leicester - 2020/21 season in preview

Ha! Just watched it, nothing there other than a few well known facts.

2 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Messi staying at Barca then? No Man City move for him.

Yep. I'm glad that that well and truly puts an end to the Sky Sports soap opera. It will be interesting to see how Barca get on with him next season as he's looked fed up for a couple years now but it will be even worse next season. Tbf a sulky Messi will still at least gain Barca an extra 10-20 points 

Chelsea complete signing number 7 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/12060458/chelsea-sign-kai-havertz-from-bayer-leverkusen-for-fee-of-71m

Chelsea sign Kai Havertz from Bayer Leverkusen for fee of £71m

Havertz leaves Leverkusen with 36 goals and 25 assists in just 118 Bundesliga appearance