Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Premier League 2020/21 Thread

5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

So would this mean Saiss wouldn't play as much? Asking as he's in my FPL team lol

It's a possibility but probably not straight away. 

4 minutes ago, brucey said:

And is Vinagre still nailed on for FPL?

I would think so yes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Newcastle about to sign Ryan Fraser and Callum Wilson.

Does that alleviate their issues? Or down like Bournemouth...?

I’m impressed with their attitude -bit it’s likely that Ashley is simply protecting his investment in ensuring that they retain their PL status for a future sale.  

11 hours ago, The Bear said:

I hope we both have good seasons personally. I can't see either of us being worse than top 10. All depends how well you cope with the extra European games. I hope you have a good run like we did and fly the flag for us top 4 wannabes. 

I can’t see us handling Europe as well as you did. A lot of your squad was used to the 46 game season anyway in the Championship. Also, you probably gained a couple of places in the league due to the knockout stages finishing after the season, so we will have a more congested fixture schedule. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fox in the North said:

Amazed after all the bluster from Ryan Fraser, that he’ll end up at Newcastle.

He was poor last season. Newcastle probably is his level. The speculation to clubs like Liverpool and Arsenal probably just was agent talk. 

52 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Newcastle about to sign Ryan Fraser and Callum Wilson.

Does that alleviate their issues? Or down like Bournemouth...?

Wouldn't fancy either with us *but* it's hard to argue they don't improve Newcastle. A fit and firing Wilson will bag them over a dozen league goals you'd have thought, and Fraser (whilst overrated) is a clear upgrade on Ritchie.

Considering it's a weird summer to do business, they've not done too badly on the face of it. Still think they're in for a hairy time, but they'll stay up.

19 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

I don't know the extent to which London or our location makes a difference but if it does you have to have other facets that you can sell to new recruits i.e. a top training facility. I have wondered myself whether it needed to cost quite so much. You can make an argument about opportunity costs for any purchase, Wolves could have got someone with a bit of a record for 35m or they could have signed 1 and a half players that really add depth to their squad for that amount rather than taking a huge punt on somebody who could be Joao Felix or could be Antonio Cassano. 

We have had steady investment in the squad over recent seasons (net spends of £28.9m, £43.3m, £57.7m) and we still have 4 weeks of a transfer window to continue that, but you'll be disappointed if you expect it to be big this year because that's the nature of the times. But we also don't have unlimited money. We've spent a fortune on a state-of-the-art training ground. We spend 85% of turnover on wages, partly because we supposedly showed ambition previously and ended up with some duds on lots of money that we can't shift. But also because we show the ambition to reward players with bigger contracts to keep them longer. We've made our manager one of the top paid in the league by giving him a huge contract. You can debate the   wisdom behind each individual decision but what I struggle to see is how you can really infer that we're not being ambitious.

That Wolves did well in the Europa League is surely a sign that you don't need huge depth to do well in the Europa League. That doesn't mean we will do well because it's dependant on system, draw, luck etc but Wolves don't have much depth and still did well in the league and in Europe. But tbh I feel your comments about our depth reflect your propensity to be negativity for the sake of it rather than an accurate representation. We could undoubtedly have stronger depth and there's we have nothing like what the top teams have but I don't see many outside the top teams with much greater depth. Some have got bench players I might take over ours but holistically speaking there's not much better than our collective. 

Villa - nothing

Brighton - lots of players, not many I'd want on our bench

Burnley - nah

Palace - Nothing

Everton - about as good as ours

Fulham - nah

Leeds - not really

Newcastle - nothing

Sheffield United - they're singing Oli Burke to add depth doesn't signal that it's great, I'll give the likes of Rodwell a miss

Southampton - again not much at all, nobody really wanted Vestegaard, can't imagine many would prefer Boufal or Shane Long on our bench

West Brom - nothing really needs saying

West Ham - I'd probably take Yarmolenko

Wolves - not dissimilar to us

Our depth probably looks worse because of the standard of player they're replacing. It's not that teams have better depth at RB than us, it's that they're not replacing a player the standard of Ricardo who is quite integral to the way we play. But even so take 4 of any team's best players at the same time and they'll be looking quite ropey.

Wolves' asses were saved by COVID giving them a break and splitting Europa games from PL games, and they still failed to secure Europa football for the next season. Our squad should hopefully be bigger than theirs by the time we close the window though. 

22 hours ago, The Bear said:

He's expensive, but we've been scouting him for four years according to our Chairman and he's one of the highest rated teenagers in Europe. Mendes does us favours and gets us access to players and clubs no doubt about it, but we only take players who we actually want.

The money side of it is less clear, we can get players on the cheap (Moutinho £5m, Patricio £16m, Neves  £16m, Jota £13m), but no doubt we have occasionally paid over the odds for one or two. Or let Doherty go on the cheap. 

Jimenez cost us £30m despite spending most of his time on the bench for Benfica and Mexico, and having a very average scoring record. That one worked out ok. Neto and another lad (Bruno Jordao) cost £20m from Lazio, but that was the deal so we could get Neto who looks like he'll be a really good player. 

Costa and Cavaleiro were Mendes/Benfica players and cost us £20m for the pair. We just sold them for £40m.

It's swings and roundabouts and the cost of having Mendes in your corner. We all knew that would be the deal, but I'd say it's worked out pretty well for us. 

So was kaputska and that went well 😀

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Wolves' asses were saved by COVID giving them a break and splitting Europa games from PL games, and they still failed to secure Europa football for the next season. Our squad should hopefully be bigger than theirs by the time we close the window though. 

If anything, Wolves were worse after COVID. They had already got to the Last 16 of EL and were doing OK in the PL before.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fox in the North said:

Amazed after all the bluster from Ryan Fraser, that he’ll end up at Newcastle.

Ironic that the two players that caused a stir about not wanting to play on to help their respective clubs stay up (Ryan Fraser + Lyle Taylor) both haven’t ended up with these big fancy moves they were hoping for. Wonder if it’s tarnished their name somewhat within the game. 

(I know there were others that did the same, these were the first two I thought of that were slightly more public)

52 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

If anything, Wolves were worse after COVID. They had already got to the Last 16 of EL and were doing OK in the PL before.

That may be so, but I strongly believe that if they had had to face all those fixtures together it would have hurt them - the fast-paced schedule of Project Restart damaging them as it did at least partially supports that theory.

3 hours ago, mazarron fox said:

So was kaputska and that went well 😀

I thought you only bought him off the back of a half decent World Cup. 

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

That may be so, but I strongly believe that if they had had to face all those fixtures together it would have hurt them - the fast-paced schedule of Project Restart damaging them as it did at least partially supports that theory.

Some revisionism going on here. Our record post restart was just as good as before it. We won our first three games and ended up up with 5 wins out of 9.

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Bear said:

thought you only bought him off the back of a half decent World Cup. 

We did, it was a bad example. 

There are countless examples of teenagers being highly rated prospects around Europe and not making it though. 

Callum Wilson signed for Newcastle.

They are also still going for Fraser and Jamal Lewis.

Three decent signings for them. I thought Wilson was older than 28 too.

20 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Callum Wilson signed for Newcastle.

They are also still going for Fraser and Jamal Lewis.

Three decent signings for them. I thought Wilson was older than 28 too.

Whisper it quietly, but I think Newcastle might actually half a decent season. Him and Joelinton should combine really nicely, and if they get Fraser too that's a decent forward line they've got.

• Like 1