Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Mendy

3 minutes ago, MPH said:

Feels like we are clearing out for a bit of a squad overhaul..

It's needed, almost all the terrible business we did in the summer of 2016 has left the club except Slim!

Says a lot that Mendy was the best of the bunch! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

Hamza is a fine player but whistle and card happy referees have damaged the physical side of his game. Rodgers remains petrified that red cards will mean too many ten man teams.

Doesn't help that that's the only side of his game that's really any good

Guest An Sionnach
7 minutes ago, Guest said:

Doesn't help that that's the only side of his game that's really any good

All three of our academy first teamers have some issues with their game but they also have really strong qualities. We absolutely have to support them though, and KDH , because we are going nowhere without them. If you think that the transfer market will always solve a problem position you will be mistaken , the rise of Rashford , Mctominey and Greenwood illustrate that. Hamza needs to be more calculating in his defensive interventions and he could be an excellent player. He gets up and down the field really well , he is an intimidating presence and we need that edge.

Decent sqaud player and I think he will be needed next season with Europa, so I'd like us to keep him.

Although, at this stage of his career, he will want 1st team football, so understandable if he prefers to move on and no hard feelings if he does. 

Shame injury pretty much hampered his stint with us 

Good squad player - but y’know...

He’s a great guy and I’d think he will want more game time than we can offer and well y’know....

Nobody has ever really said: “y’know what this game needs right now? - Mendy...

Well they might have but, y’know...

It looks like he's finally been offered a better deal elsewhere. He was keen to run his contract down to get himself away from Leicester on a good deal. It was pretty daft extending his contract for 9 games and expecting him to do anything other than try to avoid risking injury.

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

All three of our academy first teamers have some issues with their game but they also have really strong qualities. We absolutely have to support them though, and KDH , because we are going nowhere without them. If you think that the transfer market will always solve a problem position you will be mistaken , the rise of Rashford , Mctominey and Greenwood illustrate that. Hamza needs to be more calculating in his defensive interventions and he could be an excellent player. He gets up and down the field really well , he is an intimidating presence and we need that edge.

Perhaps he will be an excellent player in time, but as the closest thing to backup to Ndidi we have, I don't think he's suitable. I'll grant you he's a good tackler but that's not much use if you've switched off and the player you need to tackle is now twenty yards away from you. He's also got a nasty habit of hiding behind his man when our defenders have the ball rather than showing for it and helping to bring it out. I'm not convinced he's got the technical ability to play in a more advanced role, which leaves us with the option of playing him as one of two holding midfielders, a concept which on this forum is about as well received as holocaust denial or having a startled horse kick you in the chin.

The rise of Rashford, McTominay and Greenwood illustrates that Rashford, McTominay and Greenwood are good players, not much else. Man Utd are also a curious choice of example given that their season was well on course for failure until they went into the transfer market to solve a problem position in January.

Anyway, I've derailed the thread enough so will leave it there. Mendy is a good if entirely unremarkable player whose departure leaves a hole in the squad that I believe needs filling.

• Like 1

He is a decent player.  Good luck to him.

He was not first eleven (or first fifteen or seventeen or so).

Had he stayed, he would have been useful, partly in terms of squad cohesion.  Now he has left, it is an opportunity for squad improvement.

23 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

Wages saved but not really as we'll still need another body and squad player to replace him with more games next season.

It's mot like Mendy was a player that never played.

In four seasons he's played 42 times for us, 31 of those appearances coming in one season. 11 games in the three other seasons.

He's aging and very replaceable to us, as much of a hard worker/good lad he was, giving him a 3 year contract right now would be daft.

Good luck to him.

Rodgers spoke last summer about liking an extra body in midfield - that to me says he wants 7 players for 3 positions. He went through last season with six plus James who I think he expected to be fitter earlier.

If he gets cover for Maddison he'll have 6 with Tielemans, Ndidi, Choudhury and Praet. I think there is a real chance for Dewsbury-Hall or Knight there.

Signing two midfielders in a summer when we desperately need a CB and winger is unlikely, never mind possibly a striker and left-back.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

With purse strings being tightened, could it be that we don’t ‘replace’ Mendy, and instead put Adrien Silva back in the squad, giving us midfield options of Ndidi, Tielemans, Choudhury, Praet, James and Silva. Thoughts?

We need to strengthen, not stand still.

Settling for what we have now would be suicidal and will see us going backwards.

2 minutes ago, Blue Fox 72 said:

We need to strengthen, not stand still.

Settling for what we have now would be suicidal and will see us going backwards.

Genuinely don’t think they’ll be half as much movement in this market as what people would like. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

With purse strings being tightened, could it be that we don’t ‘replace’ Mendy, and instead put Adrien Silva back in the squad, giving us midfield options of Ndidi, Tielemans, Choudhury, Praet, James and Silva. Thoughts?

God I hope not, I'd sooner see Armarty or the kit man than Silva.

Shame for Mendy, was very impressed on his debut against arsenal, still probably his best game. Freak injury meant he never got going fully that season and then out on loan. Solid squad player these last 2 years, good luck in your new venture, xavi certainly new how to play centre mid so will learn a thing or two! 

10 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

Rodgers spoke last summer about liking an extra body in midfield - that to me says he wants 7 players for 3 positions. He went through last season with six plus James who I think he expected to be fitter earlier.

If he gets cover for Maddison he'll have 6 with Tielemans, Ndidi, Choudhury and Praet. I think there is a real chance for Dewsbury-Hall or Knight there.

Signing two midfielders in a summer when we desperately need a CB and winger is unlikely, never mind possibly a striker and left-back.

Can see dewsbury-hall getting a squad place, was doing well at Blackpool I believe before lockdown 

19 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

God I hope not, I'd sooner see Armarty or the kit man than Silva.

Yes you may be right but I fear for us if we don't strengthen our midfield options above those that you mention.

Edit: Sorry quoted wrong post. :facepalm: 

Edited by Blue Fox 72
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, FoxinNotts said:

Genuinely don’t think they’ll be half as much movement in this market as what people would like. 

Yes you may be right but I fear for us if we don't strengthen our midfield options above those that you mention.

6 hours ago, urban fox said:

maybe not so much in this thread but elsewhere. I have seen him described as Sunday league at best, and other even less flattering things.  My personal opinion of him as a player is that he was competent, nothing more nothing less. he did a job but was only ever going to be a stand in or bit part player going forward. I have no axe to grind either way. Things move on and i wish him well for the future

..Puel will come in for him!!!

1 hour ago, FoxinNotts said:

Nah, you're alright. I think people might be forgetting how bad Silva was for us. I honestly think we'd be better off giving Dewsbury-Hall or Knight a chance.

We needed to shift his wages off the books. He adds very little and we could use that wages in an area we need. Use the youngsters to bolster the squad instead of paying squad players 50k a week to do nothing. Hamza , KDH and others can sit on the bench for a lot cheaper wage. 

• Like 1