Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Mendy

34 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

Suspect that Diallo will replace him. On the radar in January.

You'd hope so but that will be between £15-20m of our transfer budget on a non-priority position. I'd rather we keep Josh Knight instead and focus the majority of our budget on a right winger, centre half and forward.

• Like 2

Just now, urban fox said:

I find the disrespect for a player who, through no fault of his own, has had little opportunity here somewhat disturbing and embarrassing.

You're right, but I'm sure he's made a few quid and is about to get a move he wants. 

People are losing their jobs left right and centre and will be on the breadline.

I reckon Papy might be alright!

Not too fussed either way on this. 

If we play a more 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 with Perez more centrally this still allows for 2 good players in each position.

Madders/ Perez 

Youri/ Praet         Wilf/ Hamza 

And then we’ve still got some youngsters Knight/ Dewsbury-Hall/ Tavares where at least 1 could stay and make some apps in the early rounds of the cups/ EL. Oh and James :ph34r: 

And as others have said it saves some money on the wage bill to go towards a RW/ CB.

• Like 1

Just now, The People's Hero said:

You're right, but I'm sure he's made a few quid and is about to get a move he wants. 

People are losing their jobs left right and centre and will be on the breadline.

I reckon Papy might be alright!

Of course he has but that does not give people the right to abuse him.  Why is it almost every player we have that is not a regular starter (and some that are) is automatically classed as useless, Dogsh1te, or similar. FFS even club legends like King are lambasted by some. It is time we realised that not everyone is Messi, and stopped being so entitled.

A little perspective please................ oh dammit, just realised where i was writing this :ph34r:

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
22 minutes ago, Guest said:

Hopefully we bring someone in then because I've got very little faith in Choudhury as a holding midfielder 

Hamza is a fine player but whistle and card happy referees have damaged the physical side of his game. Rodgers remains petrified that red cards will mean too many ten man teams.

Just now, urban fox said:

Of course he has but that does not give people the right to abuse him.  Why is it almost every player we have that is not a regular starter (and some that are) is automatically classed as useless, Dogsh1te, or similar. FFS even club legends like King are lambasted by some. It is time we realised that not everyone is Messi, and stopped being so entitled.

A little perspective please................ oh dammit, just realised where i was writing this :ph34r:

I saw some balanced criticism and praise and a bit of indifference. I'll be sad to see him go, but not devastated. I am not sure where there was any abuse, but fair enough.

What you see depends on where you stand.

15 minutes ago, urban fox said:

I find the disrespect for a player who, through no fault of his own, has had little opportunity here somewhat disturbing and embarrassing.

Mendy came here as a replacement for Kante, which was always a hiding to nothing scenario, suffered a serious, career threatening injury in practically his first game for us (one that he was probably our best player in) and by the time he was recovered found his position in the side taken by someone who's name was permanently inked in on the team sheet (how would you feel if you had been forced to take long term sick leave, only to find that someone else had stepped into your job and you were effectively demoted as a result?). When he did play it was generally as part of a defensive midfield duo which stifled both him and Ndidi. I think he is harshly judged by many simply because Puel tried to accommodate him in a system that was universally unloved.  He never moaned, caused unrest or badmouthed the club and played his part when asked (even agreeing to stay on at the end of his contract to see the season out when he had no obligation to do so).

He has been the victim of circumstance, was never signed as flair player and did what he did competently. Good luck to him and thanks for being a good servant of the club.

preach 

1 hour ago, honeybradger said:

Is it just me who thinks choudhury is a class lone DM considering how few first team minutes he's played in that role? Think he's definitely good enough to be backup.

No car crash against Wolves this season playing there. Doesn’t have the intelligence to take up positions to receive the ball from defenders. Can lose the ball easily too

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

I saw some balanced criticism and praise and a bit of indifference. I'll be sad to see him go, but not devastated. I am not sure where there was any abuse, but fair enough.

What you see depends on where you stand.

maybe not so much in this thread but elsewhere. I have seen him described as Sunday league at best, and other even less flattering things.  My personal opinion of him as a player is that he was competent, nothing more nothing less. he did a job but was only ever going to be a stand in or bit part player going forward. I have no axe to grind either way. Things move on and i wish him well for the future

48 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Can't really remember him having an influential game either...the most boring footballer ever!!

Not sure I what you want from a DM to be honest. They do the 'boring' stuff so others don't have to. 

7 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

No car crash against Wolves this season playing there. Doesn’t have the intelligence to take up positions to receive the ball from defenders. Can lose the ball easily too

He was fine that game apart from the stupid second yellow, first yellow was bs. He was really good in the game before that against chelsea. Also lets not pretend like ndidi hasnt lost the ball easily in poor positions as well but doesnt get half the criticism as choudhury does.

I like Mendy, he came in with huge expectations over him, picked up a horrific injury on his debut and only really got his chance when Puel took a liking to him a year and a half later.

That said while he's a battler and is fairly safe in possession, he's very weak in the air and is particularly suspect at blocking shots from outside the box, we conceeded so many with him desperately scampering about trying to block Milivojevic ect.

It was also apparent towards the end of this season aswell, against ManU and Tottenham particularly we lack any threat in the air from corners, we need a couple of big men added to the squad. I'd like William Carvalho in to replace Papy.

Think Mendy has sold himself a little short (no pun intended) going out to Qatar at the age of 28. He's a solid player and, even if he didn't stay with us, I would have thought he could have got a decent contract at a good sized French or Italian club. No doubt his move to the middle east will be handsomely rewarded financially though.

Best of luck to him. He did okay for us on the whole and did a job when called upon. In the current financial climate, if we'd have kept for back-up I'd have been fine with it but if he wants to move on I don't begrudge him that either.