Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Mendy

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2020/07/27/report-leicester-ace-could-join-xavi-and-cazorla-in-qatar-exit-talks-underway/

REPORT: LEICESTER ACE COULD JOIN XAVI AND CAZORLA IN QATAR, EXIT TALKS UNDERWAY

Danny Owen
2 hours ago

Photo by Plumb Images/Leicester City FC via Getty Images
Leicester City’s Nampalys Mendy is in talks over a money-spinning move to Qatari outfit Al-Sadd with Le10 Sport suggesting he could join Xavi and Santi Cazorla in the Middle East.

Back in January, The Foxes would probably have jumped at the chance to sell a bench-warming, dust-collecting midfielder who had played just 71 minutes of Premier League football between August and the end of 2019.

Since the turn of the year however, Mendy has forced his way back into the first-team picture – so much so that manager Brendan Rodgers has spoken publicly about his desire to keep the former Nice midfielder at the King Power Stadium.

“The longer I’ve been here, the more I’ve seen him and the more impressed I’ve been with him,” the former Liverpool and Celtic boss told the Mercury.

But the 28-year-old is now a free agent.

His contract expired after Sunday’s heartbreaking 2-0 defeat to Manchester United, a result which means Leicester have missed out on Champions League football.

As a result, the Midland giants are powerless to prevent Mendy, a £10 million signing in 2016, from walking away for absolutely nothing.

Claude Puel would love to re-sign his former Foxes favourite but, with funds tight at St Etienne, a move to the Middle East is more likely at this stage.

2019 Qatari Stars League champions Al-Sadd have entered talks.

Mendy could become the second marquee signing to join a team managed by Barcelona legend Xavi this summer, after La Liga legend Santi Cazorla bid farewell to Villarreal last week.

Shame it never worked for him.

Remember his debut against Arsenal. He was having a great game but then injured himself badly and never truly recovered.

I think he was a good signing for us, just a shame how injuries ruined any chance of playing much. Shame for him. I think he's far too good to be playing in Qatar though.

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

Remember his debut against Arsenal. He was having a great game but then injured himself badly and never truly recovered.

I think he was a good signing for us, just a shame how injuries ruined any chance of playing much. Shame for him. I think he's far too good to be playing in Qatar though.

If he'd been fit and playing well, do you think we'd have signed Ndidi?

1 hour ago, AKCJ said:

Would imagine at minimum they match his salary out there maybe even more! 

"Back in January, The Foxes would probably have jumped at the chance to sell a bench-warming, dust-collecting midfielder who had played just 71 minutes of Premier League football between August and the end of 2019.

Since the turn of the year however, Mendy has forced his way back into the first-team picture – so much so that manager Brendan Rodgers has spoken publicly about his desire to keep the former Nice midfielder at the King Power Stadium."

I think that says more about the standard of the team in 2020 rather than some magical upwards trend in Mendys ability

Good for him, with his injury record too it might be worth him getting a decent contract somewhere like that. Part of me feels we'll have to spend a bit to get someone to do the role he has in the squad but at same time we need to make space. 

Yes Rodgers love he that much he played 291 minutes in the PL.

I imagine we offered him a contract inline with he's standing in the squad, which is probably why his off.

Seem a like able guy, but like some many purchased from 2016/17 more of a miss then a hit.

2 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

At best ineffectual. Does nothing wrong but does nothing well. Do not see what he brings still after 4 years. No goals and no assists. Every pass backwards or sideways. 

It isn't his job to score or assist? He picks up the ball/breaks up play and recycles the ball to another team mate to advance us. It would be like rating Vardy on his goal saving challenges.  

• Like 2

Always got the impression that Mendy was the guy who was available, could take ball, pass to a more creative player, nothing fancy, just a necessary cog.

Edit:  seems I am not alone in my opinion lol

Edited by Dahnsouff
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

Yeah, because Ndidi is known for his goals and assists.

The guy is a holding midfield player, on a small wage, and is a miles better player than Choudhury as the lone defensive midfield player in a 4-3-3. He adds composure off the bench to see out games.

It's going to cost you £15m to replace him with someone as good, and how do you convince someone to come here to sit on the bench and play a dozen games in cup games and the like?

Every club needs decent squad players. Mendy is one.

Also Mendy is one of the few players in the squad who has Europa league experience from when he was playing for Nice in the 13/14 and 17/18 season. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shane said:

Also Mendy is one of the few players in the squad who has Europa league experience from when he was playing for Nice in the 13/14 and 17/18 season. 

That makes so much difference... 🙄

Bring Slimani and Silva back too then. Doesn't matter if the are in general way below the standard needed. 

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox