Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

James Tarkowski

6 hours ago, Milo said:

I think it was 20m, and I reckon he would have been a bargain.

Bargain is strong, but if it had been closer to £20m that would have been better. Likelihood it was somewhere in the middle.

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Old school defender who makes very few mistakes and better on the ball than some give him credit for, sound familiar? Cut from similar cloth to Jonny Evans but without coming through and making it at a top club.

Agreed. He'd be a perfect eventual replacement, really. Should we pay £40m+ for him though? I'd say he's as good as Ake, so perhaps that's the going rate now.

Mad that we got Jonny for £3m.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Old school defender who makes very few mistakes and better on the ball than some give him credit for, sound familiar? Cut from similar cloth to Jonny Evans but without coming through and making it at a top club.

Excellent point, just a shame about the fee. Maybe this is a transfer we can come back to next summer when he has 1 year left on his contract. 

Edited by Shane

14 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Really like Tarkowski. An out and out ‘stopper’

20 mill would be more of a realistic valuation imo. 50 mill would be ridiculous 

You'd get a top class championship defender for about 15-20m. 35-40m seems about right to me to be fair. We've got to remember clubs get over 100m in tv money every season now, why sell arguably your best player for a fifth of that?

9 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

You'd get a top class championship defender for about 15-20m. 35-40m seems about right to me to be fair. We've got to remember clubs get over 100m in tv money every season now, why sell arguably your best player for a fifth of that?

I still cannot stomach £35-40m for a defender, its nuts. I get paying £40-50m for a striker or attacking midfielder who is going to create and score 30+ goals a season but its bonkers to think above average defenders in the PL will command that sort of fee.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I still cannot stomach £35-40m for a defender, its nuts. I get paying £40-50m for a striker or attacking midfielder who is going to create and score 30+ goals a season but its bonkers to think above average defenders in the PL will command that sort of fee.

If we didn't need any other players, or only need 1 other somewhere up the pitch I could see it happening. But there's no way we'll pay what Burnley want for him when we need about 5 other players too.

• Like 1

I'm guessing we are after a winger, a striker and a centre half. We will probably have to sell Chilwell to fund one of these along with replace him. If we get £60m for Chilwell then we should pay £40m, it's the going rate for a proven CB and we would have some change to hopefully bring in a replacement LB. That means the Maguire money and this summers funds can be spent improving the rest of the squad. 

At the end of the day, if he had a fancy Spanish name and was at Madrid we would all be saying it was a bargain, just because he is at Burnley and English doesn't make him any less of a player but the fans seem to want an exciting exotic signing for some reason, who could prove to be a flop - as we have seen when we splash the cash.

19 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Depends on the deal and the player.

Obviously. In 90% of cases though it’s probably not worth it. Evans type deals, absolutely. Perez, Vestergaard, Tarkowski Et Al. don’t represent good enough value when there’s similar players available in other leagues for probably half the price.

Edited by Stadt
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

So our England international is valued at £80m, but Burnley's is only worth £20m. Can't have it both ways.

We aren’t Man Utd though are we?

We have to be sensible financially

As I said I rate Tarkowski, but not at 50 mill

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

We aren’t Man Utd though are we?

We have to be sensible financially

As I said I rate Tarkowski, but not at 50 mill

How much would you take for Soyunchu? 

13 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Obviously. In 90% of cases though it’s probably not worth it. Evans type deals, absolutely. Perez, Vestergaard, Tarkowski Et Al. don’t represent good enough value when there’s similar players available in other leagues for probably half the price.

But you could argue that high % of imports are flops.

Since we have been back in the PL we have purchased Evan's, Huth, Maguire, Perez, Ward, so we have done ok,

How many import flops have we had?

Silva 

Slim

Inler 

Musa

Zieler

Benalouane

Kapustka

Hernandez

Diabate

I'd suggest we have waste more money on imports then PL players......

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

On 05/08/2020 at 09:51, kingfox said:

Not worth £50 million but those slagging him off are delusional.

He’s had another good season, consistent performer and Burnley fans love him.

If he played for a better club, he’d be a regular in the England squad.

Like I said on oage 1 or 2, Dyche gets the absolute best out of his defenders. I'm not slating it, I like Dyche, but how we play compared to them is totally different.

You only have to look at Michael Keane. He was good at Burnley, consistent, plays for England.... now he's at Everton he looks okay but nothing great. People laughed at Everton spending that amount on him.

No chance would I want us spending £50m on a defender, let alone a defender from Burnley.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Webbo said:

How much would you take for Soyunchu? 

£40m is realistically what we could get, but would like £60m.

Curiously, Man Utd made a 45m offer for him on my FM2020 game, and he said he would rather stay :)

It obviously is not real, but it still  made me love him a little more nonetheless lol

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Curiously, Man Utd made a 45m offer for him on my FM2020 game, and he said he would rather stay :)

It obviously is not real, but it still  made me love him a little more nonetheless lol

I'd be highly miffed if we took less than 60million and I don't blame Burnley for wanting 50+ especially as he has the supposed English bonus. 

6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

40m?!

If we were to sell him, we'd get a lot more than that.

Signing Tarkowski for the £40-50m has all the hallmarks of Everton signing Siggurdsson.

One of the better players in his position in the division outside the elite clubs but he's 28 later this year and his value is depreciating and we'd be buying a player at his peak value. Like Siggurdsson he's also a player that will be in his late 20's who has played in the PL for years and still doesn't attract the elite clubs to purchase him.

He's a very solid defender but doesn't fit our profile and we need to stick to buying older players of value like Evans or younger players with the potential to sell on two or three years down the line. If we deviate from this model and start buying the finished article for huge transfer fees in their late 20's who doesn't attract interest in the elite clubs then we'll soon be a club who is looking behind us rather than in front of us.

Player recruitment for us just shouldn't be about improving the team in the here and now but a revenue stream and a place for players to develop.  

• Like 4