Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxinsocks

Joining up dots

Truth is that none of us know what the owners' position is.  I am sure that they cant just make money available only to watch a bumbling recruitment department sell a player and then cobble together a list of the available buys.

I would expect the owners to sit with the manager and say - what was good and what was bad last season?- how can we have more good and less bad? - what role can transfers in and out play? - what are the things we need to be ready to do and what are the triggers that cause us to action them?  Additionally to this is to look at the deployment of money on fees and wages - money is a resource and we must decide on how to changes the pattern of sinking it.

There would be no point in allowing the club to increase spending if we can not achieve more.  So the owners need to set in place the possibility of spending IF we have the opportunity to achieve more (based on what the probability of success is)... I have no idea how much the club might be prepared to  wager to get ahead of some of the traditional top six (three of them minimum to finish in the top four). 

SO how much will it take and what is the likelihood of success? Given that option,  then does Top say yes?

Edited by foxinsocks

7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I do find it very concerning that the last 3 players we signed for big money, we didn't appear to already have deals agreed in principle for replacements.

Still haven't replaced Mahrez 2 years on. Ghezzal was a disaster having gone all summer deciding on who to bring in.

Maguire, briefly looked at a few domestic targets that were obviously going to cost too much so didn't bother. 

Chilwell, the press now reporting we are in the process of drawing up a shortlist of players. It's no wonder we take the piss out of some of the folk working for us.

Mahrez:  was/is virtually irreplaceable by a club with our cache, or lack of.

Maguire:  the Club decided (rightly) that we already had better on the books than anyone that was available for reasonable cost at the time. 

Chilwell:  don't know how to break this to you, but everything you read in the press isn't necessarily so. 

Edited by PaulW

1 hour ago, PaulW said:

Mahrez:  was/is virtually irreplaceable by a club with our cache, or lack of.

Maguire:  the Club decided (rightly) that we already had better on the books than anyone that was available for reasonable cost at the time. 

Chilwell:  don't know how to break this to you, but everything you read in the press isn't necessarily so. 

If someone tries to claim Mahrez is irreplaceable once more I'll take bodies. So because he was so good we shouldn't ever bring another decent right winger in? Are we going to retire the striker position as well when Vardy goes? Biggest load of pony I've ever heard said from folk.

This isn't a direct rant at you by the way, it's a general excuse dished out by many and its rubbish.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If someone tries to claim Mahrez is irreplaceable once more I'll take bodies. So because he was so good we shouldn't ever bring another decent right winger in? Are we going to retire the striker position as well when Vardy goes? Biggest load of pony I've ever heard said from folk.

This isn't a direct rant at you by the way, it's a general excuse dished out by many and its rubbish.

The party line at the time was that Mahrez was replaced 'in aggregate' by Maddison and the increased gametime for Gray. You can't say in terms of creativity, goals and results we are any worse off for losing Mahrez, given getting rid allowed us to move Okazaki and Simpson out in favour of less industrious and more technical players.

Football has moved slightly away from the individualistic notion of signing X player for Y position, it's more about system players (see Liverpool's recruitment of less than impressive signings at first glance, that turned out to be perfect for the system).

I'm not saying we shouldn't look for a better fit than Pérez wide right, but it's not necessarily as simple as 'bringing a decent right winger in'.

• Like 1

I thought I was glad for the break, but I can't wait for the next season to start. I don't think I've ever seen this place more paranoid and riddled with Chinese whispers. Covid has sent some of you lot absolutely bonkers. :plancque:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

The party line at the time was that Mahrez was replaced 'in aggregate' by Maddison and the increased gametime for Gray. You can't say in terms of creativity, goals and results we are any worse off for losing Mahrez, given getting rid allowed us to move Okazaki and Simpson out in favour of less industrious and more technical players.

Football has moved slightly away from the individualistic notion of signing X player for Y position, it's more about system players (see Liverpool's recruitment of less than impressive signings at first glance, that turned out to be perfect for the system).

I'm not saying we shouldn't look for a better fit than Pérez wide right, but it's not necessarily as simple as 'bringing a decent right winger in'.

Might not be any worse off, but not remarkably better. We were crying out for a Maddison type attacking midfielder when we had Mahrez and there was no reason we couldn't arm ourselves with both. Just tired of our fans either being irrationally annoyed about not mixing it with the big boys and then making excuses up for opportunities lost on strengthening our team to do the very thing they complain about.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Have a weird feeling that a shock marquee signing will be announced soon, similar to when Claudio Ranieri was announced as manager out of the blue..

#AnnounceLingard :ph34r:

Looks like Dave Rennie has actually gone then, whilst there hasn’t been any news from the club (he is still on the official website) and there only that 1 report from training ground guru but checking out his twitter and LinkedIn account seems they have been updated within the past 12-24hrs and his Leicester appointment is mentioned in the past tense with his bio now stating that he’s a Physiotherapist with 21yrs experience in elite football and has worked in Rugby, badminton and the NHS.....

30 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

Looks like Dave Rennie has actually gone then, whilst there hasn’t been any news from the club (he is still on the official website) and there only that 1 report from training ground guru but checking out his twitter and LinkedIn account seems they have been updated within the past 12-24hrs and his Leicester appointment is mentioned in the past tense with his bio now stating that he’s a Physiotherapist with 21yrs experience in elite football and has worked in Rugby, badminton and the NHS.....

Yes he's gone.  But if,  as the peoples hero says, it is normal for a pay off and compromise agreement then why hasn't there been a matey pr statement?

I have always signed the compromise agreement in return for a tax free ex gratia payment in lieu of notice salatry

Yeah the whole team leak thing is beyond me, it's utterly bizarre if it was him.

The only logical way it could have been him was perhaps if he was casually/naively telling a nephew or someone who without him knowing was forwarding to a mate to be broadcast all over social media. 

I'd imagine the game has moved on massively since he's been at the club so possibly it's something that he's done for decades so it became a habit but the way the world is today with social media connectivity it's finally caught up with him. 

This is purely just guess work though. I know Celtic had the same problem with team leaks under Rodger's tenure...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Yeah the whole team leak thing is beyond me, it's utterly bizarre if it was him.

The only logical way it could have been him was perhaps if he was casually/naively telling a nephew or someone who without him knowing was forwarding to a mate to be broadcast all over social media. 

I'd imagine the game has moved on massively since he's been at the club so possibly it's something that he's done for decades so it became a habit but the way the world is today with social media connectivity it's finally caught up with him. 

This is purely just guess work though. I know Celtic had the same problem with team leaks under Rodger's tenure...

Maybe Congertons the mole... 👀