Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxinsocks

Joining up dots

Not sure why the club would need to publically explain? These things are very often shrouded in secrecy and subject privacy and non disclosure clauses and might even be presented to the press as a resignation / mutual consent / restructure ( where there is even press interest ) 

I resigned a previous role I had and it could have been damaging reputationally for the company if certain conclusions were jumped to so we pre-agreed the message to go out to stakeholders. It’s fairly straightforward but there is rarely an obligation for any party to share the full story ? 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

Well you can try mate. Everything I’ve said has been spot on. 

The obsession from others is weird, but I suppose I am The People’s Hero 

It’s a tough life, but someone has to live it I suppose. Still the rent free bit must be good perk eh?

4 hours ago, Webbo said:

I can't imagine that an opposition manager would believe and base his tactics on a team posted by somebody on twitter. I mean how much earlier would they know, the team is officially released an hour before kick off anyway?

I don’t know, but if someone on Twitter had been proven to have an accurate track record with team leaks, I’d be paying attention.

Ours has been leaked the day before several times, implying someone very close to the dressing room is doing it (as opposed to media people getting it half an hour early before kickoff). Some people have previously speculated it could be Danny Ward, but if I’m reading right, @The People's Hero is saying it was Rennie.

I guess we’ll see next season whether it carries on!

6 hours ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Rodgers changing his name in the close season is certainly the stuff of strange things

5 hours ago, AmyLGK said:

He did what now???

18 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

Players being fined... missing games.

Dave Rennie - did he jump or was he pushed?

No sign of any "ins"

Weird ST cash call - and full matchday prices.

Is Bredan happy? (But where could he go?)

What does all this mean? I feel something is building. Any ideas on what signs may see next and where  this is all heading?

Better for him than Brenda though I guess.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I do find it very concerning that the last 3 players we signed for big money, we didn't appear to already have deals agreed in principle for replacements.

Still haven't replaced Mahrez 2 years on. Ghezzal was a disaster having gone all summer deciding on who to bring in.

Maguire, briefly looked at a few domestic targets that were obviously going to cost too much so didn't bother. 

Chilwell, the press now reporting we are in the process of drawing up a shortlist of players. It's no wonder we take the piss out of some of the folk working for us.

We had bought two young centre backs to cover that area ..... suspect that it was felt there wouldn’t need to be more investment there yet. The ‘scrambling around’ post maguire sale was perhaps based on benko’s injury becoming an issue.  My guess is that we enquired about some CB’s on the basis that we had the money and if a good deal was available we would be interested- bit naive.

we have Thomas who is viewed internally as potentially chilwell’s equal or more. I’m almost certain that the original plan was for BC to leave next summer when we would have more insight into Thomas’ progress. for whatever reasons, Ben has gone now and we were possibly not far along the tracks of recruiting an ‘experienced’ replacement who may not be first choice in year two ??  It’s a possible issue to be holding back LT.  ideally we need to be buying someone mid twenties who can be sold on at 27/28 if Thomas is ready by then.  That’s why I’m not convinced tagliafico is the likely option now. 

Mahrez - how do you replace a world class player without spending world class money ...... assume the thought was the change in our playing style would cover the loss of the individual - add to that Ricky is very progressive in that area of the pitch. 

• Like 1

Said elsewhere - you go on twitter and it’s similar stuff being said by other fans. 

Fans frustrated by their players return from holidays and undertaking quarantine. Some have the virus. 

Others such as Wolves bemoaning the lack of signings and the departure of a first choice player 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

We had bought two young centre backs to cover that area ..... suspect that it was felt there wouldn’t need to be more investment there yet. The ‘scrambling around’ post maguire sale was perhaps based on benko’s injury becoming an issue.  My guess is that we enquired about some CB’s on the basis that we had the money and if a good deal was available we would be interested- bit naive.

we have Thomas who is viewed internally as potentially chilwell’s equal or more. I’m almost certain that the original plan was for BC to leave next summer when we would have more insight into Thomas’ progress. for whatever reasons, Ben has gone now and we were possibly not far along the tracks of recruiting an ‘experienced’ replacement who may not be first choice in year two ??  It’s a possible issue to be holding back LT.  ideally we need to be buying someone mid twenties who can be sold on at 27/28 if Thomas is ready by then.  That’s why I’m not convinced tagliafico is the likely option now. 

Mahrez - how do you replace a world class player without spending world class money ...... assume the thought was the change in our playing style would cover the loss of the individual - add to that Ricky is very progressive in that area of the pitch. 

We've got plates spinning here though and its not just about replacing those who have left, it's clear we need strength in depth and we seem to be doing nothing about it.

Now signing loads of players just to make the numbers up isn't the way to go, I know that, however I do feel we could be alot more pro active than we are and we should have been doing this in January - if not the previous summer window.

The longer this goes on though and arguements could be made, we'll be trying to make the numbers up and panic buys will be made.

So we have a good 11 but poor squad when you look past that 11 which shown in the 2nd half of last season - certainly after lockdown, we sell players within that 11 and we've got away with selling them, so far, whether that be luck or planned, probably abit of both, but surely I can't be the only one questioning how long this can go on for without it impacting us for the worse and it seems this summer (Unless something happens soon, which it might, it remains to be seen) we're doing neither strengthening our squad or replacing players we've lost.

Given there will be European commitments this season, going into the season with injuries and suspensions, games to be played in quick succession, no real break, all I see is excuses stacking up when there is no place for excuses especially if we don't strengthen in our squad this summer.

Edited by Matt
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

We've got plates spinning here though and its not just about replacing those who have left, it's clear we need strength in depth and we seem to be doing nothing about it.

Now signing loads of players just to make the numbers up isn't the way to go, I know that, however I do feel we could be alot more pro active than we are and we should have been doing this in January - if not the previous summer window.

So we have a good 11 but poor squad when you look past that 11 which shown in the 2nd half of last season - certainly after lockdown, we sell players within that 11 and we've got away with selling them, so far, whether that be luck or planned, probably abit of both, but surely I can't be the only one questioning how long this can go on for without it impacting us for the worse and it seems this summer (Unless something happens soon, which it might, it remains to be seen) we're doing neither strengthening our squad or replacing players we've lost.

Given there will be European commitments this season, going into the season with injuries and suspensions, games to be played in quick succession, no real break, all I see is excuses stacking up when there is no place for excuses.

Playing in the eufa cup usually drops a club about 5 places... we do need depth

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Easy excuses there for the club, fair play.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

No one is expecting a like for like replacement. But it’s about trying to sign a winger that contributes goals and assists. 

Since Mahrez left we’ve only signed 2 wingers, Ghezzal (not good enough) and Perez (not his best position)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I do find it very concerning that the last 3 players we signed for big money, we didn't appear to already have deals agreed in principle for replacements.

Still haven't replaced Mahrez 2 years on. Ghezzal was a disaster having gone all summer deciding on who to bring in.

Maguire, briefly looked at a few domestic targets that were obviously going to cost too much so didn't bother. 

Chilwell, the press now reporting we are in the process of drawing up a shortlist of players. It's no wonder we take the piss out of some of the folk working for us.

Ghezzal was ridiculous because it was as if our recruitment team thought "well he's Algerian and looks a bit like Mahrez so there for he'll do as a replacement" 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Ghezzal was ridiculous because it was as if our recruitment team thought "well he's Algerian and looks a bit like Mahrez so there for he'll do as a replacement" 

That is a well known bias (see Moneyball) - there was come us ethnic chinese  basket ball player and he did well... so sunden;ly all teams were looking for a chinese player.... well not looking for - but when one popped up coaches were inclined to believe it could work.

15 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

No one is expecting a like for like replacement. But it’s about trying to sign a winger that contributes goals and assists. 

Since Mahrez left we’ve only signed 2 wingers, Ghezzal (not good enough) and Perez (not his best position)

It might not have worked but that was the intention. 

17 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Didn’t have anything to do with the recruitment team. Pushed through by Puel 

5 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Didn’t have anything to do with the recruitment team. Pushed through by Puel 

Tbf he wasn't terrible. I never liked Puel but it's thanks to him we signed Ricardo and probably Tielemans. I can forgive him for 1 not quite so good, signing. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah this is shocking, its ok to sell players, we get it, we not owned by an arab oil giant, but I expect the club to do some planning ahead, instead of waiting until the player is sold and then only deciding to draw up a shortlist.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Stadt said:

I have very little faith in our recruitment now. It was ok under Macia but now we have two blokes that are close friends with a poor record transfer wise making crucial decisions. 

If Rodgers was willing to ditch Celtic prior to winning three trebles in a row it wouldn’t have been contingent on Congerton coming along too. Just a cursory look at Congerton’s Wikipedia should set alarm bells ringing for any club worth their salt - being involved at Sunderland and Hamburg should have made us steer clear.

Football is cliquey and political behind the scenes, the more allies actors have the more they get their own way, regardless if it’s right or not.

spot on

the feeling has not felt right since christmas

a certain top four spot went up in smoke, (with some kind penalty call help for united-which would of pleased the big wigs)

What concerns me is what is the strategy, valencia currently are having fire sales why aren't the club on top of say that. Or moving fast for say a Koch from freiburg, or even Angelino from city considering he cant get a game for them right now.

I hope there is a plan in place because it looks a bit thin at the moment.

• Like 1