Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
suffolk fox

Slimani, Silva and Ghezzal.

6 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

RMC Sport report that Ligue 1 side Lyon are in talks with Algerian international attacker Islam Slimani about a possible transfer from Leicester City.

The outlet claims that the Foxes might allow Slimani to leave on a free transfer, with the ex-Monaco loanee having just 12 months remaining on his existing contract with the Premier League side.

Slimani is interested in a move to Lyon and OL would look to sign him in the event that one of their attacking players leaves in the coming days.

If there's any truth in this then Dembele must be on the move as they already have him and Ekambi.

14 minutes ago, jeffschlupp said:

They seem pretty set that Silva and Slimani can go for free, then.

It's probably now up to their agents to sort deals, which probably takes it out of Leicester's hands (giving more time and resources to focus on incoming players).

I'd rather take my chances that we could sell him on the last day of the window when some teams are desperate for a striker than give him away. There is also the window opening again in three months and any team that think they can get a striker who scored 9 goals and 7 assists in 14 starts in L1 last season for free can go and fornicate themselves. 

£5m or do one would my approach. 

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Which could then cost you another £4m in wages. 

Those are the chances you take.

A lot of clubs could do with a striker of Slimani's ability, just because we want him off the books doesn't mean we should do it for free. I think it's more likely that a club in need of a striker come deadline day will pay it.

Imagine if there is a club out there who wants a striker as much as we want a CB. Going into that last few hours you just pay to get someone in if you're desperate enough and running out of options. Slimani will be on a lot of lists as 3rd/4th choice. 

Edited by Gerard

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

I'd rather take my chances that we could sell him on the last day of the window when some teams are desperate for a striker than give him away. There is also the window opening again in three months and any team that think they can get a striker who scored 9 goals and 7 assists in 14 starts in L1 last season for free can go and fornicate themselves. 

isn't that what we did last time when we off loaded him to the Geordies? can't pull the trick twice!

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

to be honest Slim is not a washed up player. he can still do a good job for the right team. No more loans though need to a permanent sale.

1 minute ago, cruzFOX said:

isn't that what we did last time when we off loaded him to the Geordies? can't pull the trick twice!

We want him off the books no doubt and if push come to shove we'd let him go for free if that was the only other option rather than keep him.

Slimani was highly successful in Ligue One last season. IMO there is more likely to be buyers who are willing to pay a £5m fee for him than not come the last hours of the deadline. We should hold our nerve with Slimani and not fold like a cheap suit.

Even if we're left with him we could give him away three months later in the January window. It's about risk assessment and I think the optimal strategy is to see what happens than bottle it now. 

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

Those are the chances you take.

A lot of clubs could do with a striker of Slimani's ability, just because we want him off the books doesn't mean we should do it for free. I think it's more likely that a club in need of a striker come deadline day will pay it.

Imagine if there is a club out there who wants a striker as much as we want a CB. Going into that last few hours you just pay to get someone in if you're desperate enough and running out of options. Slimani will be on a lot of lists as 3rd/4th choice. 

Nobody is going to pay the wages he’s on, so the trade off is a low or nonexistent fee.

2 hours ago, Gerard said:

I think it might be best they go before this window closes, even if it is for free. If they don't, then clubs outside England can offer them a pre-contract in December/January and we'll be stuck paying the rest of their contracts in full.

1 hour ago, Ross 'LCFC' Turner said:

Makes me sick these 3 are taking over 150K a week out of the club! 

I think it's more like £200k a week! The money's probably already been accounted for, but it will make a big difference when they're gone.

8 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I think it might be best they go before this window closes, even if it is for free. If they don't, then clubs outside England can offer them a pre-contract in December/January and we'll be stuck paying the rest of their contracts in full.

I think it's more like £200k a week! The money's probably already been accounted for, but it will make a big difference when they're gone.

True but unlikely. If we cannot get a fee i think we will have back up loan deals in place so at least a lump of their wages will be covered

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Nobody is going to pay the wages he’s on, so the trade off is a low or nonexistent fee.

We'll see, the likes of Lyon have shown an interest so they're not short of a bob or two. Slimani will take a wage cut if need be as he only has one year left on £80k a week. A three year deal at £50k a week will probably be acceptable especially if the alternative is stuck here in limbo until January at least. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see him at Tottenham who are actively searching for an experienced but cheap striker to be understudy to Kane. 

I wouldn't be losing your bottle just yet, there will probably be action for Slimani between now and deadline day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gerard said:

We'll see, the likes of Lyon have shown an interest so they're not short of a bob or two. Slimani will take a wage cut if need be as he only has one year left on £80k a week. A three year deal at £50k a week will probably be acceptable especially if the alternative is stuck here in limbo until January at least. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see him at Tottenham who are actively searching for an experienced but cheap striker to be understudy to Kane. 

I wouldn't be losing your bottle just yet, there will probably be action for Slimani between now and deadline day.

I completely agree with this.

I've never felt Slimani was a lost cause and said the same last summer (bar COVID I think Monaco would have taken their permanent option but alas). He's clearly a talented striker and has a very good goalscoring record in Portugal and at International level, whilst he also did extremely well at Monaco and okay with us. He might be 32 and have a year left on a bumper deal but this does not necessarily make him free transfer material.

We are also advantaged in that we have - according to reports - a number of suitors in France who are among the larger and wealthier clubs capable of offering him a 40-50k p/w week package and have some spending power in the market, especially as they have all made/are likely to make sales to fund this move. The likes of Lyon, Rennes, Lille have all be thrown about. They have the financial muscle, with outgoings, to afford a nominal fee and make Slimani a better long term offer for more money spread over a lengthier contract. If we were talking Turkish/Portuguese clubs, then I would be resigned to losing him for free or on loan.

Likewise, I also think this is last chance saloon to get any money back for him and the club will do that. We could be wrong but I think we'll get a fee here, something around the 5mil mark. If the deadline passes and he hasn't already gone, then it's as clear as day a free transfer. But for now, I still think we're holding a decent hand with Slimani. Be interesting to see what happens.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, GDesign_JRC said:

Saint Etienne hahaha

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if Ghezzal did join ASSE.  He grew up just a few km from St Etienne, was signed by Puel, played a few games for him and most importantly didn't upset him (unlike Silva).  He won't be expensive either - perhaps free.  A deal could well be happening before next Monday.