Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
suffolk fox

Slimani, Silva and Ghezzal.

3 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

He cost 28m, there must of been something that made us value him at that figure

He is a decent finisher, I always thought he looked capable on the pitch but just seemed to be an arsehole off it. If Brendan can rein in his ego then he'd be a decent back up. Let's be honest, if Vardy gets a serious injury we're well ****ed. I like Nacho but the thought of him being our main man week in, week out scares the shit out of me. Slim is average but he'd give us a level of depth that we don't have right now. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bablemikey said:

Never really impressed when he was playing before. Was weak challenging for balls in the air up to him & had no touch to control it either. 

..it is amazing how some people have forgotten this...!!!

Would not challenge or compete if the ball was not close enough to compete for.

16 hours ago, Paddy. said:

He is a decent finisher, I always thought he looked capable on the pitch but just seemed to be an arsehole off it. If Brendan can rein in his ego then he'd be a decent back up. Let's be honest, if Vardy gets a serious injury we're well ****ed. I like Nacho but the thought of him being our main man week in, week out scares the shit out of me. Slim is average but he'd give us a level of depth that we don't have right now. 

...I am not sure why everyone believes that Nacho can be played as the main striker!!!

He is a second striker or a number 10 at a push, he has been stuck between a rock and a hard place for some time here, and for his sake, it would be best if he went somewhere else to progress his career.

On 08/10/2020 at 22:42, Paddy. said:

He's also quite an unselfish striker, plenty of assists for a centre forward. Brings players in around him which would benefit Barnes, Ünder and Maddison if we needed another option as we try to compete in Europe as well as the league.

• Like 3

If we are paying his wages we might as well use him from time to time. At 6ft 2 and a decent header of the ball he can unsettle teams who park the bus thinking they have Vardy to contend with. I think the only reason we cannot move him on is his salary a few teams have been interested

• Like 1

I've always said its best to utilise him regardless of the politics. I get people (including team mates) despise him but at the end of the day they are all substantially paid professionals. Get on with it.

I liked slim because he was good at challenging for the ball in the air, was a decent finisher and was good at playing with his back to goal. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, UHDrive said:

I've always said its best to utilise him regardless of the politics. I get people (including team mates) despise him but at the end of the day they are all substantially paid professionals. Get on with it.

I liked slim because he was good at challenging for the ball in the air, was a decent finisher and was good at playing with his back to goal. 

albert says this isn’t true - he may have the odd player who doesn’t want to be his best mate (that’s normal) but the narrative that he isn’t liked is apparently incorrect ...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

albert says this isn’t true - he may have the odd player who doesn’t want to be his best mate (that’s normal) but the narrative that he isn’t liked is apparently incorrect ...

That's great to hear thanks for that. I do think he'll be a massive player in games against Burnley, Palace, West Ham and so on when the games rosta becomes hectic.

• Like 1

On 08/10/2020 at 22:33, CrispinLA in Texas said:

He cost 28m, there must of been something that made us value him at that figure

22 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...panic buy....we overpaid!!!

Our beloved Claudio was desperate for Slimani.

Others around the club weren't keen on him / the fee we paid but CR had a lot of credit in the bank to get his way.

• Like 2

BR attaches massive weight to what he sees in training and seems insistent that players follow his vision and carry out tasks assigned to them. He  has been quoted as having  no patience with those who can't or won't adapt.I could be wrong but Slim doesn't really seem like he can be arsed with all that 

1 hour ago, surrifox said:

BR attaches massive weight to what he sees in training and seems insistent that players follow his vision and carry out tasks assigned to them. He  has been quoted as having  no patience with those who can't or won't adapt.I could be wrong but Slim doesn't really seem like he can be arsed with all that 

Is Slim training with the first team now? Wonder how Brendan can form an opinion without seeing him regularly train, and how he takes on board tactical ideas? Always thought it odd that some players were excluded from the first team squad training - is this even true?

5 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

He's also quite an unselfish striker, plenty of assists for a centre forward. Brings players in around him which would benefit Barnes, Ünder and Maddison if we needed another option as we try to compete in Europe as well as the league.

Totally agree. People saying he's shite but he isn't. He's decent. Tbh I'm curious to see what BR can do with him.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Our beloved Claudio was desperate for Slimani.

Others around the club weren't keen on him / the fee we paid but CR had a lot of credit in the bank to get his way.

...wasn't this at the time they thought Vardy might go to Arsenal!!!

If I recall, the Vardy situation seemed to be him going and LCFC having looked at Slimani had doubts in regards to his price. 

Vardy elected to stay but we had committed to the deal for Slimani but there was a dispute internally as to the price we should be paying, Sporting did quite well from this deal.

He was shocking when he first arrived, touch was horrific. But he slowly improved and I really didn’t mind him after a while at all.

He’s one of those player that will miss a sitter, but tended to make things happen when he was on the pitch. He’s got decent movement in the box and tended to get on the end of a lot through his own  good work.

I’d be fine with him being involved.

• Like 3

On 08/10/2020 at 21:12, Lambert09 said:

Of all of our deadwood he is obviously the one that would offer us the most on the pitch. He actually gives us the plan B that we all know weve been needing. 

Imagine if in some of the struggles last year (Norwich, watford, brighton, Everton) we had the big forward to bring on for some of our needless crosses. Im not saying he's the solution  but having him on the bench would give us a few options when a game isnt working out. Perhaps Brendan might be able to get him working in the right way for us. 

I’ve just remembered how useless he was with high balls for a supposed big man. 

7 minutes ago, Babylon said:

He was shocking when he first arrived, touch was horrific. But he slowly improved and I really didn’t mind him after a while at all.

He’s one of those player that will miss a sitter, but tended to make things happen when he was on the pitch. He’s got decent movement in the box and tended to get on the end of a lot through his own  good work.

I’d be fine with him being involved.

It's probably futile thinking it but his game at Monaco last season as well as some glimpses of it for us was creating a bit of space in packed penalty boxes and bringing other players in. Could be that alternative option against the low block. I like both him and Iheanacho for their ability to supply through balls and cause defences something different to think about. Definitely room to have 2 different strikers on the bench. Hope we squeeze him in the 25 as the games from now until Xmas are relentless. 

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

I’ve just remembered how useless he was with high balls for a supposed big man. 

52 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's probably futile thinking it but his game at Monaco last season as well as some glimpses of it for us was creating a bit of space in packed penalty boxes and bringing other players in. Could be that alternative option against the low block. I like both him and Iheanacho for their ability to supply through balls and cause defences something different to think about. Definitely room to have 2 different strikers on the bench. Hope we squeeze him in the 25 as the games from now until Xmas are relentless. 

Exactly what I was thinking. He looked out of place for us in a counter attacking low possession side but at Monaco (and sporting if we count it) in a possession side his all round game looked strong. 

My strongest footy attribute is in the air, but lump aimless balls up to me and i wouldn’t do much. Fizz in the the types of balls youri, mads, under and our full backs are  capable of and he’ll show his strength. 

He’s far from first 11 contention but as a 3rd choice striker / plan B he definitely could add value to us, if and it’s a big if.. he’s motivated to do so

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 2