Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
suffolk fox

Slimani, Silva and Ghezzal.

7 hours ago, Albert said:

No, that’s all bull! He’s actually a great character & really liked by everyone around the club!

I could be wrong but its most likely the case that if he plays anymore games for us we’d have to pay Sporting another instalment on the original transfer which is why he’s not had a look in.

If that was the case, wouldn’t you speak to SCP to see if you could re negotiate that clause.  Half of nothing is nothing. I’m sure we would be prepared to pay something to have him as a playing option this season if we can’t loan him out.  I guess the most likely scenario is as abrasive says, we mutually cancel his contract (Stumping up most of what we owe him in wages) and he becomes a free agent. 

7 hours ago, Albert said:

No, that’s all bull! He’s actually a great character & really liked by everyone around the club!

I could be wrong but its most likely the case that if he plays anymore games for us we’d have to pay Sporting another instalment on the original transfer which is why he’s not had a look in.

I saw something with Gray recently calling him Uncle Slim! Surely if he was that much of a knob, he wouldn’t get that sort of pandering from DG. :ph34r:

And let’s be honest, when he turned out for us, he wasn’t the worst player in the world. Maybe our powderpuff players didn’t like some home truths at the time. 

Players that are “winners”, tend not to take kindly to people they think should do better or are playing half arsed. 

Exhibit A - Roy Keane 

• Like 1

We play in Ukraine in December.

Train Slim with the over-23s “limbo” team and send him to Zaporizhia.  He can both lead the line and clear snow off the pitch.  Probably bag a hat trick.  It can be his combination showcase / testimonial game in front of the loving Ukrainian fans. 

Won't be popular with some, but if they can't ship him (Slim) out and get some return then use him. We seem to be finding it hard to get a head on the ball in either box at the moment and this guy scores with his head for fun. Remember Porto? How valuable was that contribution? We find it hard to break teams down when they employ a deep block and after West Ham that's what all but the elite teams will do when they play us. He's not going to start ahead of Vardy but, when we go behind, having a target man that can actually head the ball in the opposing box is what we need. For those that say he's poison in the dressing room, our players need to behave like the highly paid professional they are, not like spoilt little schoolboys. They must come together for the greater good. What's the alternative, letting him rot with the U23's? Surely there are 30 million reasons why not. 

Edited by SixtiesFox

23 hours ago, Spudulike said:

I don't think he's the sort of impact sub that can make a difference. That's already been tested, iirc, and his success has come as a starter. Might be useful in the early Europa League group stages if the players can put up with him. Is he really that toxic? I'd expect the players to be professional about it, they don't have to like him. 

...I feel there must be more to this than has been said....!!!

There are numerous stories regarding teammates disliking for each other, they still play together, we might never get to know the real reason.

2 hours ago, SixtiesFox said:

Won't be popular with some, but if they can't ship him (Slim) out and get some return then use him. We seem to be finding it hard to get a head on the ball in either box at the moment and this guy scores with his head for fun. Remember Porto? How valuable was that contribution? We find it hard to break teams down when they employ a deep block and after West Ham that's what all but the elite teams will do when they play us. He's not going to start ahead of Vardy but, when we go behind, having a target man that can actually head the ball in the opposing box is what we need. For those that say he's poison in the dressing room, our players need to behave like the highly paid professional they are, not like spoilt little schoolboys. They must come together for the greater good. What's the alternative, letting him rot with the U23's? Surely there are 30 million reasons why not. 

I agree with what you're saying with regards Slimani being a plan B against a low block, however Rodgers has gone on record that he won't employ such a tactic. It's his way or no way. He will have to live and die by his sword.

Not sure if posted before: 

“Leicester has entered #Slimani in his list of 25. Rodgers will reinstate him in his group. We should see him again soon in the Leicester shirt. He has 1 year of contract left. He can leave again this winter. He is tempted by the high level. This summer, he refused the Gulf.”

Guy looks legit, France Football, 276k followers. 

5 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Rodgers must see something in him? 

He's shown he can score important goals at the highest level, and he's the only other forward on our books who can really play as a lone striker. It makes sense, but I still wish we had managed to move him on and get someone else in. 

I still think Iheanacho is a better backup, but we are short on strikers and he does offer something different. If he's at the club and we are paying him we might as well make use of him. If his attitude is a problem then I guess we can still cancel his contract as it sounded like we were tempted to do this summer.

I think in matches like Sunday, where the opposition are camped around their own box and we are creating absolutely nothing he is a better option than Iheanacho. Not just aerially, but physically.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I thought it was pretty well known he is despised by half the squad... and those that didn't mind him have all left. How on earth do you let that back into the group??

So someone buys him. Makes business sense to me. Couple of goals and his value increases. (see Musa for details)

35 minutes ago, Ricey said:

I still think Iheanacho is a better backup, but we are short on strikers and he does offer something different. If he's at the club and we are paying him we might as well make use of him. If his attitude is a problem then I guess we can still cancel his contract as it sounded like we were tempted to do this summer.

I think in matches like Sunday, where the opposition are camped around their own box and we are creating absolutely nothing he is a better option than Iheanacho. Not just aerially, but physically.

Not a chance he would have made a blind bit of difference on Sunday, the way to get goals when up against a side that well organised (& lets not be thinking it was WH ffs because they were bloody well drilled in their plan & shape) is to do what we were trying & how we got the goal that wasn't for Barnes.

The only other way i see when the box is that cramped is to shoot from distance & hope you do a Villa & get a wicked deflection, it was disappointing we didn't try the odd shot from outside the box.
Lumping the ball into the box for him to head would have been picked off easily by the 3 CBs + x# players in the box & even if he managed to knock 1 down its so crowded it would be nigh on impossible to gain an advatage from it.
On the Physicality front the WH defence would also have had him for breakfast, Ogbonna would have mulled him.
He is for sure not the answer, Nacho had good link up play when he came on & i would choose Nacho over Slim everyday of the week.

• Like 1

I'm intrigued as to why so many of our fans keep saying "use slim", "give him another chance". Hes not in the premier league squad, we are out of the league cup so exactly where is he going to play? Our Europa league squad is full with players in the prem squad, so are people suggesting we should drop someone who is in the prem squad out of the Europa squad. Can just imagine that conversation. Sorry Wes/Fuchs/insert player here that some may think should be dropped, but I've decided that whilst Slimani isnt good enough to play in the premier league we are going to put him in the europa league squad at your expense. The mind boggles at times with stuff our fans say. Rodgers has given a chance to Amartey and Mendy. There is obviously reasons beyond his ability as a footballer that is making Rodgers have no interest in having him in our squad. 

Edit: just seen hes apparently been added to the 25 man squad. If Rodgers sees something in him and he wont be disruptive to the squad then fair enough 

Edited by jayfox26

1 hour ago, AjcW said:

I thought it was pretty well known he is despised by half the squad... and those that didn't mind him have all left. How on earth do you let that back into the group??

A good 3 quarters of the current squad probably barely know him as hes been away on loan for the majority of their time here. I imagine that the idea that he is the most awful disruptive player weve ever had is more a rumour perpetuated by fans who dislike him. Much like the rumour that Vardy hates him so much he made him being sent out on loan part of his contract negotiations. The guy probably is a muppet but he wont be that much of a muppet.

• Like 3