Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Youri Tielemans

8 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Youri is a great player but he lacks pace from a standing start

he cannot develop that - it’s the way he’s made! 

for that reason, I dont t see him being a regular starter in an elite side. if he wants a move to a top ten euro outfit then that’s his decision but he won’t play as often as he wants to 

take it you never watch T Kroos play for Real Madrid then

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

for that reason, I dont t see him being a regular starter in an elite side. if he wants a move to a top ten euro outfit then that’s his decision but he won’t play as often as he wants to 

Whilst I sort of agree, there's been plenty of great midfielders who've played regularly for elite clubs without being blessed with great pace, whether from a standing start, or just in general. It just depends how much they develop every other aspect of their game doesn't it? Granted, it's getting more difficult if you have even the merest deficiency, as players fitness and longevity improve with modern training methods, diets, recovery information and more, but there's always room for an craftsman like Tielemans isn't there, even amongst the elite clubs? I don't want him to leave, but I think he could hold his own. I think he needs at least one more season with a club like us yet though, possibly two, but I think he can make that step up. His vision alone suggests it.

Edited by Duquesne Whistle
Missing S

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

take it you never watch T Kroos play for Real Madrid then

You make a good point but I think the game is moving on. I’m merely giving my POV that youri lacks something that is becoming ever  more important ... pace over the first five yards.  Perhaps in a really top side he won’t be pressed as much as he can be here which alleviates the issue a bit but when the biggest games are played (think PSG v Bayern a few weeks ago), that quick off the mark movement is so important. 

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

as opposed to who ? Praet ??

He doesn’t have a lot of competition in that area ........ 

You said you cannot see him being a regular starter in an elite side .... my point was he already is.

You can debate competition in the Belgium squad all you like to try and avoid the absolute honking opinion you had in the first place but there's several examples of players without pace in elite sides - gundogan, kroos, kimmich, to name but a few. For his position it's not necessary.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

You said you cannot see him being a regular starter in an elite side .... my point was he already is.

You can debate competition in the Belgium squad all you like to try and avoid the absolute honking opinion you had in the first place but there's several examples of players without pace in elite sides - gundogan, kroos, kimmich, to name but a few. For his position it's not necessary.

International football isn’t the same - you can’t transfer players in.  We can revisit this in half a dozen years when he’s reached his ceiling in a top side. 

Just now, st albans fox said:

International football isn’t the same - you can’t transfer players in.  We can revisit this in half a dozen years when he’s reached his ceiling in a top side. 

Whether or not he does, your point that a midfielder needs pace to be a regular starter in an elite side is, provably, nonsense

Just now, Guest said:

Whether or not he does, your point that a midfielder needs pace to be a regular starter in an elite side is, provably, nonsense

To clarify again - I’m speaking specifically about the first five yards. it really matters. If YT had that then I guess he wouldn’t be playing for us ......we will see how he gets on at a huge club in a year or two ......

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

To clarify again - I’m speaking specifically about the first five yards. it really matters. If YT had that then I guess he wouldn’t be playing for us ......we will see how he gets on at a huge club in a year or two ......

It's not that it wasn't clear, just that it isn't true..................................

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

He doesn't need to have that.. just like KDB does not either. What he does have is an engine to move the ball from defence through to attack, a good range of shooting, ability to make blind passes, an understanding of players around him, graft to support the defence and he can take corners that gets past the first man. He is, in Belgium's eyes the next KDB. If we have him here next year, we should count ourselves lucky. He is our Paul Scholes, our bastard child of Muzzy Izzet and Neil Lennon. If there's one thing he can improve, it's his timing of some tackles, but that is small beer compared to what he brings to the side. Just my opinion.

11 hours ago, st albans fox said:

He's already at a huge club 💙🦊🏆

18 minutes ago, sheffield_fox said:

Wait.... Wait.... Catch me up. Are we having an argument about whether Tielemans is any good? lol

There are some braying contrarians gagging to call up down and white black. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, st albans fox said:

This guy definitely wants rid of Tielemans lads. 

We don't take kindly to folks who don't take kindly to Youri round here....

I don't know if you watch the news but he scored quite a big goal for Leicester last week. You're not going to find anyone else criticising him or wishing him away round here. 

I'd go as far as to say, he's well liked. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Kroos, Kimmich, Modric, Pirlo, Iniesta and Xavi are all examples of world class past and present players who play a similar role to Tielemans. 

None of whom were / are particularly fast but their technical ability and capacity to read the game mean that they are unplayable. YT is the same, he’ll go right to the top.

Edited by Matt_Lcfc