Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

US Presidential Election 2020

2 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

No question there are a depressing number of Americans who support Trump but the revisionist history that he'd have been re-elected before COVID has to stop.  His approval ratings were in the dumper and he was just as far behind Biden in horserace polls before the pandemic started.  His supporters believe anything he says; everyone else hates him.  COVID didn't fundamentally change the arithmetic.

I might be not that well versed, but as far as I know, he wasn't economically doing that bad before Covid hit the US. Feel free to correct me though.

4 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Rumours floating about them invoking the 25th amendment to remove trump.

That would be pouring oil on the fire but there's a real risk that the closer he is to be ousted the more aggressive his tweets will be with unforeseeable consequences on his cultists. He'll never concede defeat and he's been upping the tempo since the elections results.

There’s of school of thought that he must be removed 25th/impeached as if he’s not, he gets to remain credible as do his claims and run again which neither side want. If they want voters to trust in the democratic election process again they perhaps need to act and do something. Pence would love t9 be a 10 day president - what a pension plan and a recovery to his reputation that would be! I reckon he’d go for it! 😆 

24 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Considering the amount of idiots and guns in one place that is a surprisingly low number.

Isn’t it. Just imagine they had got the Police numbers correct and the protestors had been black. It would have been a Capitol bloodbath.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm hoping his supporters slink back to their trailer parks when he gets ousted, and Trump manages to leave the country before he's got at by some lunatic on the other side. 

But I can see him sticking around and inciting some kind of civil war. The sort that all those NRA nut jobs who are armed to the teeth in case the government try to take over their lives have been waiting for. 

Whilst millions upon millions did vote for Trump, that doesn't make them all like those clowns that poured into the capital building.

A lot of those votes will have been because he was the Republican, so the default choice for anyone of a conservative outlook. One of my friends has two sons that live in the States, and they voted for Trump despite the fact that they 'abhor' him, purely because they're successful in business and were worried about the tax implications for them of a Biden presidency. Whilst that's depressing in itself, it's a helpful reminder that not Trump 'supporters' are nutters in army surplus gear ready to take up arms.

I know I shouldn't be surprised but I'm constantly taken aback by the things that voters will turn a blind eye to on both sides of the Atlantic. That said, disorder is a massive turn off for a lot of people - you know it is, because of the political and media efforts to focus on the tiniest part of it kicking off at any Antifa/environmental/BLM protest even if the event was 99% peaceful.

Like Trump himself, some of his supporters will double down after the events of last night, but despite the terrifying figures that suggest widespread support for all the bollocks stuff like QAnon, I'm sceptical about the actual numbers of people that would do this sort of stuff on a big scale with any energy over any period of time

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, NasPb said:

The USA is getting a taste of its own medicine, as we all know they are no stranger to coups against democratically elected leaders from Iran in 1953 to Árbenz in Guatemala 

Aye, sure there’s a few in South and Central America with a smile 

56 minutes ago, Nick said:

There’s of school of thought that he must be removed 25th/impeached as if he’s not, he gets to remain credible as do his claims and run again which neither side want. If they want voters to trust in the democratic election process again they perhaps need to act and do something. Pence would love t9 be a 10 day president - what a pension plan and a recovery to his reputation that would be! I reckon he’d go for it! 😆 

Even if he gets 25th he could still run again in '24.  Only impeachment would prevent that.

Irrespective, it's not going to happen.  The 25th would require enough of his cabinet of toadies to agree (not to mention Pence) and impeachment half of the Rs in the Senate voting to convict.  These soulless bastards don't have it in them.

28 minutes ago, StanSP said:

lol lol

lollollol 

You know when you say something embarrassing but don't realise what a tw@t you came across until a later date, and then it's soul destroying? Do you think all of America is going to publicly apologise in a few months time when they've realised what they did?

13 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Apparently he’s put out a statement saying there will be an orderly transfer of power. 

But he's still claiming the facts "bear him out" and it's only the "beginning of the fight". He's just totally incapable of seeing the effect his words can have. :(

• Like 1

Just now, Voll Blau said:

But he's still claiming the facts "bear him out" and it's only the "beginning of the fight". He's just totally incapable of seeing the effect his words can have. :(

Nope.  He knows exactly the effect they have, and it's exactly the effect he wants them to have.

• Like 2

Just hoping that more sensible Republicans will look over the abyss and step away from trumpism. Obviously he’ll retain some or even many of his supporters, but hopefully not the 30% of Americans that apparently believe the election was stolen. Difficult to see how a democracy works with that level of dissent.

Edited by WigstonWanderer