Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Man City A Pre Match Thread

4 hours ago, twister said:

Not sure yet

Going to be honest, even with two wins over potential relegation candidates

I'm not holding out much hope for this won. They battered the lads last year at their place even with vardys goal. Barnes pace can worry walker but again I don't see any points gained from this.

Dont consider Burnley relegation candidates probablly top ten always run down  on the forum

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheLittleBigMan said:

0-3. Vardy brace and a Barnes screamer. Marhez to be last seen crying in an airport.

Fu*k em

Now that's Entertainment!

I'm not convinced we are good enough to play out from the back and consistently beat their high press. I think this will be a vulnerability they specifically target, along with Justin at left back.

Similarly though, Man City's weakness is their defence and I'd want any chances we create to fall to Vardy who definitely has the ability to score any chance that drops for him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sampson said:

With Ndidi out, I wish there was a sensible way to get Praet, Tielemans and Maddison all in the same team.

I thought Praet had a more defensive role as a midfielder at Sampdoria in a diamond. Maybe Maddison does start. Don't think Ndidi out guarantees Hamza a start. I'm smelling something interesting. Ideas @StriderHiryu?

Edited by SO1

17 minutes ago, SO1 said:

I thought Praet had a more defensive role as a midfielder at Sampdoria in a diamond. Maybe Maddison does start. Don't think Ndidi out guarantees Hamza a start. I'm smelling something interesting. Ideas @StriderHiryu?

I doubt we will see anything revolutionary. Probably 4141 with Maddison instead of Perez, Evans and Soyuncu at the back, Cengiz Under on the bench and comes on last 20. 

Maddison never does much when he's on the wing, but Man City are one of the few teams that will have more possession than we do in a game. So packing our team with technicians so that when we are on the ball we stay on it might be the thinking from the manager. We've tried that before and failed with it though. But last couple of games against them our players haven't turned up. If Mendy, Praet, Tielemans and Maddison have their passing boots on we could cause them issues, but most likely it's just another case of us having good players, but they have better players, and it shows. KDB always runs the show...

• Like 1

I can see KDB and Mahrez (if available) ripping JJ a new one just like they did Chilwell last year. I am certain that BR will have that in his thinking, so would not be surprised to see Castagne and JJ swap sides for this one or even putting Fuchs in as his defensive positional sense could be what we need. Barnes is definitely going to need to do more defensive work than we normally see from him however we line up at the back though. Still believe that if the central trio of Mendy, YT and Praet are on it like the first two games we can cause them some problems still. Think we could actually get something from this as long as the players are given a bit of freedom to go out and play rather than going for all out containment

8 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Whatever the result I hope we go a bit more direct and not allow them to just steam roll us in to mistakes from passing about with it at the back and Kasper chipping balls in to KDB.

I still think we are capable of causing them a number of problems but those first 2 wins have given us a free hit. 

I want Maddison nowhere near the starting XI for this, Praet and Tielemans in fine form and are badly needed.

That's it for me as well. I want us to actually try and get at their defence rather than just meekly sit there and wait for them to pick us off. Our only chance of getting anything in this is to have a go at them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bablemikey said:

I'm not convinced we are good enough to play out from the back and consistently beat their high press. I think this will be a vulnerability they specifically target, along with Justin at left back.

Similarly though, Man City's weakness is their defence and I'd want any chances we create to fall to Vardy who definitely has the ability to score any chance that drops for him.

This is exactly what went wrong last year and against arsenal yesterday night

Unless you have a world class passer in midfield beating a city,liverpool or arsenal like press is hard.

for me the need to put the ball cross field over the top of walker and mendy for vardy and perez to run onto should be the strategy, not that I trust rodgers to use that.

9 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Free hit. A loss most likely given the players and squad Man City have at their disposal. But our first team were playing well and if everyone performs it’s possible to nick something. Wolves typically have a lot of success versus the Mancs by playing the counter attack against them, though they lost to them this season with that strategy. Usually Rodgers plays the same style versus the big teams and we lose because man for man they are better than us. But that said our players have been appalling in those games. 

I’d go 3-1 Man City but at some point I think we will beat one of the top teams and look good doing it. Just not sure this game will be the one it happens in!

...never enjoy hearing this!!!

The reason why we perform so poorly against the big team is than Rodgers sets us up incorrectly, the players are on the backfoot before the game starts and demotivated prior to walking on the pitch.

2 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...never enjoy hearing this!!!

The reason why we perform so poorly against the big team is than Rodgers sets us up incorrectly, the players are on the backfoot before the game starts and demotivated prior to walking on the pitch.

I'd agree with you. Puel might have produced dour football, but he did things like play 3CDMs against Man City and Chelsea and got points off both by exploiting the counter attack against them. 

In some ways I admire a manager who has a football ethos and style he wants to stick to, but when the opposition squad costs 4-5x more than ours, it's probably more prudent to be pragmatic. 

I don't think players are demotivated to start the game though, I think they get demotivated when they go 1 or 2 goals behind, like we saw when Liverpool twatted us at home last season. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I'm so nervous about our left side....

We saw what they can do when they gave Chilwell a hiding, I dread to see what the will do against JJ!

They'll rue his presence as he makes 2 goals and scores 1 (for us)

5 hours ago, goose2010 said:

why do you think we will get a battering? In the two games we have played so far in the league what has shown you that we will get a battering? 

Its not about WBA or Burnley. MC are far away better than us technically and physically. If they play like they did against Wolves we will struggle, I just hope that I am wrong.

Hamza, in this game, against those players - is an accident waiting to happen. I absolutely love the tackle vs Liverpool but he'll see red if he tries to pull that kind of stuff over 90 minutes against this lot. 

At this point, the thing I want most is for the lads to shake off whatever result it is. Nothing embarrassing, please, but even if it is - I'd rather lose 4-0 to these early in the season that the absolute shambles that was Bournemouth. 

I maintain my optimism.

Yes, MC is better on paper than our little club.  But you still play the game, and you never know what might happen!

I make no predictions except when required by online competitions (Superbru, etc).  We have a chance, though, and that is good enough for me.

COYB!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

I'd agree with you. Puel might have produced dour football, but he did things like play 3CDMs against Man City and Chelsea and got points off both by exploiting the counter attack against them. 

In some ways I admire a manager who has a football ethos and style he wants to stick to, but when the opposition squad costs 4-5x more than ours, it's probably more prudent to be pragmatic. 

I don't think players are demotivated to start the game though, I think they get demotivated when they go 1 or 2 goals behind, like we saw when Liverpool twatted us at home last season. 

...they never came out confident that they could compete!!!

I always wondered what he said to the players before they went out, because you could tell they never thought the way they were set up, gave them a chance to play in the way they normally played.

Do not be surprised to see Maddison out wide, you can try that once or twice but constantly going back to a process that has failed and disrupts our style of play is foolhardy and it seems obvious that the players have not bought into this.

• Like 1