Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Man City A Pre Match Thread

45 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...they never came out confident that they could compete!!!

I always wondered what he said to the players before they went out, because you could tell they never thought the way they were set up, gave them a chance to play in the way they normally played.

Do not be surprised to see Maddison out wide, you can try that once or twice but constantly going back to a process that has failed and disrupts our style of play is foolhardy and it seems obvious that the players have not bought into this.

That's it, When you send the team out with a plan of containment, The Manager sends a message to the players. That A were not good enough and B we're expected to lose.

This is where BR has a real blind spot. That Pearson or Puel never had.

Get the players in the right mindset and they're good enough to have a go. But not while we continue to play total football, We need to mix it up.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, shailen said:

3-1 to us. Soyuncu in the third minute with a header from a free kick on the right, Barnes with a wonderful solo goal and Soyuncu second half with another header. Jesus to get them a consolation goal. 

You'll then be able to hear BR signing we're gonna win the league. 

He doesn't even move Soyuncu up top when we're losing. A method we rescued many a game over the years with Walsh, Elliot, Morgan.

It's laughable really, There's many ways to win a game of Football.

• Like 2

If Stones and Ake are the CB again for them, I would like to see us pressing nice and high and being adventurous and aggressive at times as there is a mistake in there for me. This is a free hit really for us and I would like to think we arent going to just sit there and be pinned in all match.

Remember last season Marhez playing especially wide, literally on the touch line and then cutting in and Chilwell struggling all match to cope. I wonder if they will look to do a job on Justin this season? 

I wouldn't change too much from our first two league games as Praet and Tielemans energy in the middle of the park has been excellent and I would like to see it going in a 4-1-4-1. 

If Evans is fit, he just slots in for Ndidi. 

Edited by Gazza M
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gazza M said:

If Stones and Ake are the CB again for them, I would like to see us pressing nice and high and being adventurous and aggressive at times as there is a mistake in there for me. This is a free hit really for us and I would like to think we arent going to just sit there and be pinned in all match.

Remember last season Marhez playing especially wide, literally on the touch line and then cutting in and Chilwell struggling all match to cope. I wonder if they will look to do a job on Justin this season? 

I wouldn't change too much from our first two league games as Praet and Tielemans energy in the middle of the park has been excellent and I would like to see it going in a 4-1-4-1. 

If Evans is fit, he just slots in for Ndidi. 

I'm sure that they will target Justin and I think that he has already shown that he is not yet ready defensively.  I think I'd be more comfortable going into this with Fuchs but that's not likely having played midweek.

5 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

Hamza, in this game, against those players - is an accident waiting to happen. I absolutely love the tackle vs Liverpool but he'll see red if he tries to pull that kind of stuff over 90 minutes against this lot. 

At this point, the thing I want most is for the lads to shake off whatever result it is. Nothing embarrassing, please, but even if it is - I'd rather lose 4-0 to these early in the season that the absolute shambles that was Bournemouth. 

Can't we have both?

• Haha 1

I don't think you can change anything from the first two games, apart from Evans replacing Ndidi.  It's tempting to change formation for an opponent like this but what we did clearly worked for two matches, so let the guys try and ride their confidence.  The only change I might consider is flipping Castagne and Justin to put Castagne on Mahrez, but in the end I think that has more negatives than positives.

No way Evans can sit based on fitness issues.  If he's healthy, he has to play.

• Like 2

I said last season we should have gone for the win before the game, but given how weak mentally the team was, unable to recover from the defeat, I would understand us parking the bus, although given our defensive weaknesses it would take a playing out of their skin performance to keep it down to one or two goals.

6 hours ago, shailen said:

3-1 to us. Soyuncu in the third minute with a header from a free kick on the right, Barnes with a wonderful solo goal and Soyuncu second half with another header. Jesus to get them a consolation goal. 

You'll then be able to hear BR signing we're gonna win the league. 

If you’ve just joined us, we’re 3-1 up and Soyuncu is on a hat trick..

• Haha 2

BR needs to improve in away top 6 matches so this is a huge test for him. He must win away at least one of them this year for me.

We have won only 1/27 attempts since that 3-1 at the Ethiad ironically.

Maddison should NEVER start in the wing ever again!! Did people forget what that’s like? He isn’t good enough on the wing.

We should play the same team (Ndidi for Evans straight swap aside)and just go for it.

Yes they might target Justin, yes Mendy will probably not be good enough and Yes we have only played average teams so far but we’re flowing nicely and the balance looks good and we should go for it vs City with nothing to lose. Playing attacking will make them drop and that makes it easier to defend against. Dropping deeper and worrying about them = easy win for City.

If we believe we can win, we could win it. Man City are not that good currently imo. De bruyne Aguero Laporte and Mahrez are there best players and if 3/4 of them are out it really weakens them. Fernandinho and Walker are getting on, Mendy is useless and Ake and Stones are average and Id prefer any one of Maddison Praet and Youri over hyped up English kid Foden who is so average really.

I really hope Rodgers thinks about his team rather than Citys team. We have a great chance of winning if we do.

Guest Markyblue
7 hours ago, murphy said:

I'm sure that they will target Justin and I think that he has already shown that he is not yet ready defensively.  I think I'd be more comfortable going into this with Fuchs but that's not likely having played midweek.

I think obviously justin will be targeted but in a much different way to Burnley and i think he will be more comfortable in a pass and pace assault as opposed to Burnley type land of the giants. 

We really cant afford to let them play out from the back.  Any team that does always gets mullered, we always allow Man City to play out from the back with only having Vardy up front.

To be successful against these you have to press them and force their keeper to kick long.

I fear Brendan will set us up to try and defend deep which only invites the inevitable pressure.

Kasper better improve his distribution I dont like his latest silly chipped balls into the midfield area.  De bruyne will have a field day.

I hope we dont get battered I do fear a loss though.

6 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

It wasn't just Mahrez against Chilwell last year, they had De Bruyne in the inside right position and Chilwell had no chance. If Rodgers is feeling negative I think there is every chance he plays Choudhury to follow KDB around. 

Agreed, De Bruyne and Mahrez kept outnumbering Chilwell, and Barnes nor one of the midfielders got close to them to support.

Personally I'd swallow my ego if I were BR and play Hamza or someone else to follow De Bruyne as taking him out of the game limits the teams ability massively. Hopefully we air a bit of caution and realise we probably won't be good enough to go toe to toe with them. 

• Like 3

Seems a split between those saying go for it and those saying sit deep and hit on the break. I think it has to be the latter as I can't recall any game under Pep where a team has beaten them by pressing high and going for it. Their defeats last season came when they were caught out on the counter. The blueprint is Arsenal's win against them in the Cup semi - that was brilliant from Arteta.

Edited by Sunbury Fox

No Hamza, please.  There are many iterations of our best 11 and he's not in any of them.

Mahrez is going to eat Justin for breakfast no matter what, so we may as well give ourselves some chances to score.  Their vulnerability is in the back and if we start a negative lineup we play right into their hands. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Seems a split between those saying go for it and those saying sit deep and hit on the break. I think it has to be the latter as I can't recall any game under Pep where a team has beaten them by pressing high and going for it. Their defeats last season came when they were caught out on the counter. The blueprint is Arsenal's win against them in the Cup semi - that was brilliant from Arteta.

Sit back take a draw at best and Counter with Barnes and Vardy. You can’t out pass the best team very easily.

1 hour ago, Markyblue said:

I think obviously justin will be targeted but in a much different way to Burnley and i think he will be more comfortable in a pass and pace assault as opposed to Burnley type land of the giants. 

Yes, it won't be Burnley type tactics but I think they'll target him because he's our weakest defender, aerially or on the deck.  I'm not having a go at him, I like him, but I think he will always need time to make that step up and this enforced run of games will probably hasten his development.

I don't think this will be popular but I would consider playing Albrighton left and Barnes right in place of Perez.

• Like 1